Thread: Rebarrel an A-Bolt

Default Rebarrel an A-Bolt

I have a 25-06 A bolt stainless that is sitting in my safe. I like the gun, and my kids will be able to shoot it one day with no problem, but I'd like to buy a 30-06 barrel for the gun and have it where its more versatile when one of them gets big enough to really use it.

Is it just simply as easy as buying a 30-06 barrel and screwing it on in this instance? The action shouldn't need anything being the cartridge is the same.

I've never done any work on a rifle, so it might be a dumb question.

Not a gunsmith, but I think it would be infinitely less expensive to buy another A-Bolt in 30-06.

And you wouldn’t sacrifice your currrent rifle which is chambered in the greatest deer caliber ever invented.

sent it and have it rebored at JES
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

That said, if you decide you want a 30-06 I may have a trade for you.

For most uses , not one thing wrong with a 25-06. Great cartridge that kills most any animal under 300 pounds with efficiency. Load it with an Accubond, Partition, TTSX or Sierra GameKing and it's a performer. It will tip a deer over with ease - way out there.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I just did a little research, and apparently the Browning A-Bolts have locktite on the threads and its 50-50 on whether they will remove without damage to some part. Browning even recommends replacing the action if you replace the barrel.

I guess that means I have a 25-06 for life. I wasn't seeing any Browning replacement barrels. That would explain why.

Beside screwing the new barrel in, it needs to be head-spaced to the bolt face, which could require shims or machining.

I don't think re-boring and re-rifling the existing barrel is an economically feasible option.

When you look at the options, a new rifle in 30-06 is probably the best way to go. Then you have two complete guns instead of one with extra parts.

I’d buy a new gun. Plenty of ‘06’s out there for cheap on a 700, 70, 110, T3 etc. action that are much more conducive to modification and upgrade down the road. Browning has never had much in the way of aftermarket support.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I don’t know much about custom rifle building, but I always thought the action on an A-bolt was smooth and the bolt throw angle small enough to make it a good candidate for a custom build. Maybe the above issue is why I’ve never heard of a custom A-bolt.

My 700 action feels like it was machined using a gravel road by comparison.
    Last edited by billyjack; 10-16-2019 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by billyjack View Post
    I don’t know much about custom rifle building, but I always thought the action on an A-bolt was smooth and the bolt throw angle small enough to make it a good candidate for a custom build. Maybe the above issue is why I’ve never heard of a custom A-bolt.

My 700 action feels like it was machined using a gravel road by comparison.
    If I were looking for a donor action it’d be a Tikka or Sako.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I think Tha Dick did one last year .

There is no issue with re barreling an a bolt. The barrels are simple to remove and any competent gunsmith can do it. It’s a cost issue more than anything. 275-300 in labor plus the cost of the barrel. At that mount you could damn near buy a new gun. The larger issue is the availability of aftermarket stocks. All of the good ones will be custom ordered and take months. If you’re looking to do a custom build start with a Remington 700. Tikka is an amazing factory action but customizing them is more costly than a 700.
    I believe what the OP was asking was in reference to prefit barrels like on a savage. In which case the answer is no.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Bownut View Post
    I think Tha Dick did one last year .
    I did. I was already too deep down the rabbit hole on this one so there was no turning back. If I had it to do over, I'd probably just start from scratch with a custom 700 clone. "like the one I'm doing now"

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    There is no issue with re barreling an a bolt. The barrels are simple to remove and any competent gunsmith can do it. It’s a cost issue more than anything. 275-300 in labor plus the cost of the barrel. At that mount you could damn near buy a new gun. The larger issue is the availability of aftermarket stocks. All of the good ones will be custom ordered and take months. If you’re looking to do a custom build start with a Remington 700. Tikka is an amazing factory action but customizing them is more costly than a 700.
    I believe what the OP was asking was in reference to prefit barrels like on a savage. In which case the answer is no.
    This.