Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sick

Default Sick

Glenn’s thread had me thinking about how sometimes a perfect shot can go south for some reason or another. Well wouldn’t you know it, I had it happen last night. Shot an old bruiser of an 8 point me and a buddy have been hunting all season. 20 yard chip shot, the arrow went in tight behind the shoulder midways up the body from 25 feet up. Just like it was supposed to and like I’ve done plenty of times. Well this time it didn’t workout like normal. The deer has bled just like a normal lung shot deer, only problem is he’s ran 300 yards and hit the water. Over 9 hours of searching for blood and grid searching has come up empty. I’m sick to my stomach but sometimes what looks like a perfect shot doesn’t always work out. I’ve shot a handful of 200 pound deer and one that was 215. I wouldn’t be surprised if this deer weighed 220 to 230. He was the biggest bodied deer I’ve ever seen in person.
    54BB806D-72E6-4C79-B056-0F990A924937.jpg
    E0E6B31F-443A-45B8-BB0F-5980D18F396A.jpg

Damn, watch for buzzards

Look in the water. Look for a nose or ear sticking out.

That's tough. Keep looking.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

sucks!

I saw sick and thought bow

Should've had some of those exploding Rambo arrows!

Hope you find him. I know the feeling.

Feel for ya. Happened to me last week. Shot my best buck on wednesday night with my bow and trailed him for 125 yds and then it went cold. Searched for 2.5 days and nothing. Sick feeling.

Dang man, sucks to lose one that way. Especially one you’ve got history with

The Injuns threw the sticks and strings in the river, or used them for kindling when they got rifles. They had a reason. Why not go wound one with an atlatl,sling and stone ,or other such primitive shit? Go all in.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggy View Post
    The Injuns threw the sticks and strings in the river, or used them for kindling when they got rifles. They had a reason. Why not go wound one with an atlatl,sling and stone ,or other such primitive shit? Go all in.
    What’s the point of this crap post?
    Carolina Counsel

Get a dog on it

Hang in there, Woodie. You're not the only one who's phucked up a shot on a great deer. Same thing happened to me Saturday morning. I feel sick too. Saw the arrow hit where I aimed, thought I had the heart. Blood trail disappeared to nothing, the dog couldn't find anymore blood after 80 yards. Did all I could do except make the perfect shot. I totally know what you're going through. This deer was goddamn special.

Ignore the baby-dicked critics and keep your head up. They've missed plenty of deer with rifles.

Hope you find him, get a dog.
    I hate it for the animal and I am sure you do too.
    I shot a monster about 30 years ago in a bean field and he fell and stood back up, I shot him again and he fell down again and got back up.
    Swear to God, I shot him a third time and he stumbled into the woods these shots were at about 150 - 175 yards. Blood everywhere into the night.
    Called family out and looked all night following the blood and saw several places he had laid down. Mistake was pushing him. Was young and didn't know any better. A month later about 2 miles away, a road grader found a 12point dead in a canal running along side the dirt road. I know it was the deer I shot but couldn't prove it. I was sick to my stomach for days about wasting the animal. Good luck
    Last edited by ecu1984; 10-15-2019 at 10:40 PM.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

That sucks. Especially when you feel like you made a great shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

good luck. it sucks.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

You either win our you learn.

No worse feeling than losing a deer you know is dead somewhere. Happens no matter the weapon of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    What’s the point of this crap post?
    Lighten up man just busting balls.

Looked most of the day yesterday to no avail. Jumped a big buck up on a small island in the swamp but couldn’t tell if it was him or or not. The only thing I’m hoping for at this point is that my eyes fooled me and I hit higher than I thought and only got one lung. I would of had a dog on him that night if he wasn’t in waist deep water. With as many cottonmouths as I stepped around in two days I’d be afraid to take a dog in there anyways even if the water wasn’t so deep. I’ve got my fingers crossed that he’s still alive but I’ll be looking for buzzards for the next couple weeks. I’m gonna go shoot a half dozen does now until I get my confidence back up.

Sucks is not the word... Assume the arrow passed through?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft