Thread: Inland Whistlers

Default Inland Whistlers

This was in Lee County. Birds showed up to eat spilled grain. I've seen reports of them in Aiken County, but I haven't seen pictures to confirm. Coming to a wood duck box near you in the future?

Very cool. Think we could get permission?
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I wish they could get better established in SC
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    I wish they could get better established in SC
    If we could prevent the mollie masters of this state from getting permission, they might have a chance
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

It’s going to take a lot to get them established. They’re a sky buster’s dream once you figure out the daily flight path.

They have really taken over down here on the Altamaha delta. Breeding population has exploded on Butler Island over the past few summers. Cool birds.

I've had em nesting in Hampton Co for a few years now....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    I've had em nesting in Hampton Co for a few years now....
    That’s cool, had some at my place last summer but they didn’t stay long. Looking forward to getting some boxes out.

Prolific breeders and will out compete a wood duck for nesting boxes, know dat. An LSU grad student is doing a study in SW La and monitoring over 100 boxes next Spring. Looking forward to his findings.

BBWD's and Fulvous are going to be our "new" duck in SC in the next 20 years as they expand their range.....that's my prediction anyway.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Has a fulvous been documented in SC in the last 25yrs?
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I’ve seen them a bunch, but haven’t killed any. Can’t bring myself to pass shoot.
    867-5309

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Myself ,my brother, and two other groups wiped out a whole flock at Bear Island 40 years ago. Knowing what I know now, I would have left some for seed. Very stupid ducks and the biologist were not happy.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 10-15-2019 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    No clue but they are expanding along with BBWD's in S La. The buzzword is "climate change".....I'm not into that but things definitely have been changing.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Here you go BOG there was 2 others with this one....he was the only one that would get in front of the rocket net....2015
    Only one to ever be banded in SC

D7D85EC3-C9CE-49AA-971D-1E91EDACFF80.jpg
    When in doubt, shoot him again!

Work like it's all up to me, but pray, like it's all up to him!

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Prolific breeders and will out compete a wood duck for nesting boxes, know dat. An LSU grad student is doing a study in SW La and monitoring over 100 boxes next Spring. Looking forward to his findings.

BBWD's and Fulvous are going to be our "new" duck in SC in the next 20 years as they expand their range.....that's my prediction anyway.
    My understanding is that most summers have fledged by the time most bbwd initiate nesting so there is actually very little competition for nest sites.
    In my limited experience, this holds true from what I've seen with them nesting around June or later best I recall.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    My understanding is that most summers have fledged by the time most bbwd initiate nesting so there is actually very little competition for nest sites.
    In my limited experience, this holds true from what I've seen with them nesting around June or later best I recall.
    I see the same thing. The wood ducks are early nesters and the bbwd's have chicks still in September teal season
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Too cool.