Thread: SBR vs. Pistol?

Default SBR vs. Pistol?

Does anyone have a link to a website with a good description of what constitutes a pistol versus an SBR? Or can offer a clear explanation themselves?

Specifically this is in reference to a Sig MPX.

I am looking at getting an MPX K and my understanding is that it is considered to be a pistol, so long as it has the Sig 3-position collapsible brace (older models) or the PCB folding brace (current model), with the 4.5" barrel. But, if you put an actual 'stock' on the gun and a not a brace, it would become an SBR?

Sorry if my lingo isn't correct, just cant find anything that doesn't leave me more confused after reading.
    Formerly DM88

The ATF website is fairly clear

But if you put a real stock and not a brace yes

You now have a SBR
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

A pistol does not have a barrel restriction. It cannot have a butt stock or a vertical forward grip.

To be considered a rifle it has to have at least a 16" barrel and be a total of 26" long. If either of those measurements are less than it is considered a SBR
    NBK II - Killing is our business and business is good!

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    no. violating it would be enough. taxidermists are too expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    heck, I'll play. If we took away your ability to type, I might not want to punch you in the mouth so much for being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by River Hawk View Post
    tits like an old beagle dog