Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In the market for a piece of land

its just too personal to be able to answer those questions for you.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

We have about 150 acres that is an hour drive from the house. I wouldn't want it any further but, we manage it pretty intensively so I make that drive often. Our property has a 4 acre dove field, about 5 acres of additional food plots and beaver swamp with a Clemson Leveler that we manage as well. Based on the layout of the land, we can easily hunt 4 people on it at the same time if we wanted to.

It all depends on what your goals are, how much 'free time' you have to spend out there and how much you are willing to spend on equipment and supplies to manage, if you want to do food plots and such.

I don't know your situation but I would say that for a single person with a full-time job and a family, our property (a one hour drive away) would be too much to manage as intensively as we do, with the equipment we use.

I have a tract around 150 acres in Florence County. Will sub-divide.
    Deer, Turkey and power lines for deer and dove. 25 acres cleared fields.

It is close enough to town to dramatically rise in value but far enough to hunt. Had our 4th dove hunt this weekend.

$9,000/acre.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

I have 245a out my back door and don't have enough time to manage it the way I like.

Figure out what you want from the land and what you can afford to do in addition to paying for the land. Then figure out how much time you intend to spend there. That should help you figure out how big and where you want to be. Look from there.
    cut\'em

The closer the better. I own 120 acres loaded with deer, turkeys and ducks 5 minutes from home and less than 15 minutes from work. Along with sole permission for 3 other properties for deer and turkeys and the furthest is 20 minutes away. I would rather have a place I can hunt everyday that’s close to home than a larger tract an hour or more way.

Quote Originally Posted by dubs View Post
    We have about 150 acres that is an hour drive from the house. I wouldn't want it any further but, we manage it pretty intensively so I make that drive often. Our property has a 4 acre dove field, about 5 acres of additional food plots and beaver swamp with a Clemson Leveler that we manage as well. Based on the layout of the land, we can easily hunt 4 people on it at the same time if we wanted to.

It all depends on what your goals are, how much 'free time' you have to spend out there and how much you are willing to spend on equipment and supplies to manage, if you want to do food plots and such.

I don't know your situation but I would say that for a single person with a full-time job and a family, our property (a one hour drive away) would be too much to manage as intensively as we do, with the equipment we use.
    Were you a member here before under a different name?
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Were you a member here before under a different name?
    Yessir. Tried to get away but just couldn't resist the lure of SCDucks... ha. Hope y'all are doing well.
    Formerly DM88

My 350 acres is almost an hour away. I love the place but was just telling a buddy on the drive home yesterday that I would rather have half the acreage at half the distance.
    Carolina Counsel

If you want a pond- buy land with a pond instead of thinking you will dig one.

I bought 47 acres I could live on 20 minutes from my business instead of 100 acres 1 hour away. Glad I did too.

Ideally 100 acres with a bit of hardwoods on it and no more than than 45 minutes from your home. I have done it all and the drive turns into a "slip out of work early to hunt" to having to have a plan. One person can easily maintain 100 acres with a few hard weekends of work. Budget for a decent 4wd tractor with loader, bush hog, heavy disc, and spin spreader. Build a shed for the tractor and you can hang out at the shed after the hunt. You have a world of opportunities within 45 minutes of Rock Hill. I like to have a minimum of 4 deer stands to hunt the wind and also to bring people to hunt.

What you are contemplating is awesome and you will love it. Go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by dubs View Post
    Yessir. Tried to get away but just couldn't resist the lure of SCDucks... ha. Hope y'all are doing well.
    Doing fine, glad to see you back
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    My 350 acres is almost an hour away. I love the place but was just telling a buddy on the drive home yesterday that I would rather have half the acreage at half the distance.
    My 350 is right at an hour away as well. The drive does not bother me. At times I wish I had more land then I remember that I spend the 8 months that aren’t hunting season doing maintenance on the place and don’t think I could handle more land