Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dammit again!

Default Dammit again!

I was just over in the cyber duck blind bitching about getting old and not having the drive I used to to get out and get after the ducks. Well, this is kinda along the same line. I decided this year to skip my Ohio Rut trip that I've been doing in early November annually since 2009; its too much of a PITA to fly and get a rental, and the drive is a 23 hour killer. Last year, I had a big 10 walk by at 40 then back into 35 trailing a doe that had walked in to 20 yards. He knew something wasn't right in my tree, but he was going to die for that doe. Before he got into my range with my longbow, a small buck ran in, and the doe turned and took them over the ridge. I never saw him again in two weeks of hard hunting. Well, my bud just sent me pics from two spots, and this deer is making the same loop the big 8 I killed there in '09 was making. I feel really confident that if I go climb a particular tree that is about 70 yards from the tree I killed my 8 in, within 3 days. I will have that deer walk by with the thermals taking my wind away away from him despite him thinking he has the wind in his favor. I found this spot completely by luck. This is one of those spots that just present the perfect setup, and I've had piles of bucks walk past me here over the years since I shot the big 8...just not one quite big enough. I know this slob is working the loop, and this spot is part of that loop. Now, I just need to try to talk myself into making this exhausting trip to sit in a tree from daylight to dark...then drive back home. I'd say odds are 80/20 that I have him in the woods with me making my heart thump in overdrive...and 20/80 that I have him close enough to loose an arrow. I think I need to take those odds, suck it up, and make the drive. We found his sheds last year. I estimated him in the 160s when I saw him, but with an 18" spread, his sheds said mid 150's. I think he's pushing Boone this year. Should I stay or should I go now....;;;
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 10-10-2019 at 08:04 PM.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Dude, after writing all that about a single deer, do you really not know the answer?

Stay. I'm way closer. I'll go check it out and let you know if it's worth the trip.

PM me so these googans don't try to horn, or antler, in on our plans.

Glenn wanna borrow my tree saddle?
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Wow- if you have a 20% chance of killing that buck in a 3 day window- and you don't go- quit deer hunting now forever.
    Somebody that personally knows this guy needs to slap the piss right outta him

You’d best get him now as he’s getting older and that rack will begin to shrink.

Have a great trip!
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Go while you are able and have the chance. Things can change overnight to where you’ll never have the chance to do it again. Quit whining about the travel/distance....if it was easy, everyone would do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    Glenn wanna borrow my tree saddle?
    I may. Stand by.

Listen to scswitch.....go!!

Yup go hunt him while you can. Never no what freaking curve ball life will throw. Post the pics when you kill him.

Get your head outta that cow’s ass and go kill the deer.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

If you have that hard of a time trying to figure out if you want to make the trip.... I know several other guys including myself that would gladly make that journey...... Heck most likely for much less then what is in the picture..... or just for an opportunity to hunt in another state....
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

I'd skip the hunt,.....he needs another year anyway.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

If you don't go this year, you probably will never go again.

Go now. You can get old later.
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    Wow- if you have a 20% chance of killing that buck in a 3 day window- and you don't go- quit deer hunting now forever.
    Somebody that personally knows this guy needs to slap the piss right outta him
    I’ve been hunting there long enough to know I have about a 20% chance at getting him to a spot where I can confidently fling an arrow. I’ve also realized over that same time frame, so much shit can happen between then and actually flinging said arrow that I’d put my odds of actually killing him closer to 5%...being optimistic.

Full disclosure: my bud just had a baby boy in July, and while he says that doesn’t matter, I damn sure know better. Unless I get a solid invite from the mom, I think it would be prudent, for upcoming years, to let Travis have at him this year. That said, I haven’t fully ruled it out at this point.

He won’t shrink next year...I’m pretty sure this is his 4.5 year. They seem to go from that to way more massive, less perfect, and sporting non-typical junk when they get to 5.5 and older up there. Problem is, once they hit 5.5 and older, they stop doing stuff like showing up at corn piles in the early season and certainly stop showing their faces in daylight. Then there is a 2-3 day period between Nov 2 and Nov 15 where all bets are off and they become almost as stupid as I was at 18 with a hard on and a few beers in me.

I really hope Travis will knock him down...he’s a good dood and deserves it.
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 10-11-2019 at 06:55 PM.

Nice buck, go kill his ass but don't go with the expectation of him being a Booner.....he's not that close.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

I don’t even know how to respond to this. My lease in Illinois is 9 hours from my driveway, if that deer was showing up on my cams regularly, I’d have to put new tires on my truck before Thanksgiving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    I don’t even know how to respond to this. My lease in Illinois is 9 hours from my driveway, if that deer was showing up on my cams regularly, I’d have to put new tires on my truck before Thanksgiving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Werd!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Nice buck, go kill his ass but don't go with the expectation of him being a Booner.....he's not that close.
    This was him sporting a mid 150’s inch rack assuming a 18-20” spread according to his sheds. He’s 20” minimum and has put on some mass and main beam length. I’m unsure how much bigger he might be as well. I do know that the ones I see dead end up being bigger than they appear on camera, as their body size is just massive. It wouldn’t surprise me if that deer isn’t 250-270 lbs. the 8 I shot there in ‘09 was 280#, and while he looked big on camera, you would never have guessed 280...he looked like a horse hanging from the barn rafters. I don’t really care what he scores...I’d just like to see him with his tongue out.
    ;