Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Western Adventure 2019

14175EAB-1600-4D40-96CD-5B3781A6D84D.jpgDay three started off cutting up meat packing up gear getting ready 1st Rifle elk in CO. My other buddy had headed out solo to try and kill Big Hank, but it wasn’t meant to be. He ended up with one of the other buck in the herd. We met up and helped him bone his out so he could fly home Friday.
    Last edited by FLS; 10-11-2019 at 08:49 AM.

After getting everything cut up and packed up I still had time to try and fill my deer tag. We hauled ass to a spot on other side of the Powder River where I’d seen some deer Monday. It’s a BLM track in the breaks with several draws that deer use to travel to and from the river bottom. I found it a couple of years ago on another trip when I didn’t have a deer tag.
    Its a couple of miles in rough country, but I had glassed a bunch of deer in the private flats near the river. We hiked out to a hill top where I could see 3 different draws coming from river bottom. I settled in and lazed a few landmarks to get ranges.
    Weather sucked. It’s in the 20s and the wind is hitting me in the face making glassing tough cause my eyes are watering like crazy. About the time I told my cuz 30 more minutes and we’re heading for truck, I saw a deers butt in a deep draw
    out front. The butt turned into deer that turned into a buck. He climbed out of the draw and I ranged him at 265. I held just below hairline and sent it. I hit him high shoulder and he went down in a heap rolling down into the draw. Good thing was we were out of the wind quartering him up, bad thing was it made a rough pack out even worse. We got back to the truck just before dark tired but happy my plan had worked out. He’s no giant but I earned every inch of him.
    EF3DB321-502B-4629-9E2C-65615CAC3BAE.jpg

Well done sir

Great trip!! I miss hunting out West. Grew up with my Dad and some friends hunting all over the Rockies. Need to get myself motivated to make some more trips. Different world out there .
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Great stuff! Thanks for the story.

I haven’t hunted out West since I lived in Seattle. I had planned on going back but never made it.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Looks like a great time. Good luck in Colorado.

Good luck with the rest of your trip. My buddy in Colorado is still chasing antelope with the bow this morning. 19 degrees right now.

16 in Lander WY. We’re on the road to Grand Mesa. Drive over got pretty sport last night with blowing snow and some ice. Hopefully they’ve put some salt/ sand down last night.

Thanks for sharing.

A249B19F-C1C6-4216-8ACC-771526FF194E.jpgThe elk hunt was a bust. Our plan was to hunt a big natural funnel and allow the hunter pressure to push the elk past us. A local acquaintance does this and harvest a good bull every year. The only problem is the hike in and out is a bastard. A goat path up a rocky ridge thick with Juniper and the little cactus that look like a miniature prickly pear but have long hard spines that will penetrate a hunting boot. We gained about 1800 feet of elevation and got out of the junipers and into the aspen oak brush transition where we wanted to be and hit the bench we were looking for. We backed down a little and set up camp. We hunted in there for a couple of days but it was popcorn fart dry dry and all the elk sign we found was old. It will be a murder hole when the snow eventually pushes them into that heavy cover. The water source we were depending on was a small creek that had dried up. No way of knowing that till we we in there and the closest water was two drainages over we hoped. If it was dry it was anothe couple of miles to a small lake we had spotted from the top of Grand Mesa. We decided to hike out try plan B. A spot my buddy had successfully archery hunted a couple of times in a neighboring unit.
    Last edited by FLS; 10-17-2019 at 05:39 PM.

Last edited by FLS; 10-17-2019 at 05:54 PM.