Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Western Adventure 2019

Default Western Adventure 2019

Drove out to NE WY for for Antelope and Mule Deer.
    1st day I hit up some BLM I’d scouted on previous trips and found some deer right away. Weather was warm and windy and I passed a couple of bucks I hope I don’t end up regretting hoping for something better when weather turned. My cousin and friend hit BLM in another unit and filled their antelope doe tags. No pics, nanny goats were killed cut up and packed out.
    2nd day we hit the ranch we hunt vis trespass fee for antelope. Ranch is 55k acres and friends and business associates get 1st dibs, then they take a handful of antelope hunters each year and same groups return until they die or get too old to hunt. We were on waiting list for 7-8 years before we got a spot. Decent private land not leased to outfitters is almost impossible to find anymore. We started sorting thru a ton of 12-14” bucks looking for a “ jumbo shrimp”. We saw a decont one pushing his does to a spot where we could slip into position for a shot. A long walk and short crawl up the back of a hill put us within 250 and my cuz put the smack down on one with his 06. Nice goat , fun stalk and a happy hunter.
    34E0758F-D03C-4C0B-BE2F-1C7E6BD9B326.jpg
    More to come... Winter is coming...
    Last edited by FLS; 10-10-2019 at 09:34 AM.

cool

and yes, that is a happy face!
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

That is pretty sweet.

Very cool

Awesome

Good stuff.,
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Looks like a great time! Since it seems that you've killed a few, how do they eat?

nice work
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

I wanna see one of them muleys tipped over.

Nice goat!
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by fowlshot View Post
    Looks like a great time! Since it seems that you've killed a few, how do they eat?
    My least favorite game meat of all time, and I've eaten a lot of different critters.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    My least favorite game meat of all time, and I've eaten a lot of different critters.
    I've heard they can be almost inedible...the hunting for them sounds like a great time and a way to see completely different landscapes and habitats, but hearing so much about how they are tough to eat eases my desire a bit.

Cool!

Yeah they aren't great very sage'y tastin' - make some spaghetti out of em that's about all you can do.

We did a similar trip a few years back and we killed three ... a taxidermist in Sumter lost them.. I think them make a cool mount & Im still upset about it.
    Guess thats a good excuse to go kill another one.
    Easy, fun hunt.
    Last edited by walt4dun; 10-10-2019 at 02:45 PM.

Just about any meat will make sausage.
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

Quote Originally Posted by fowlshot View Post
    I've heard they can be almost inedible...the hunting for them sounds like a great time and a way to see completely different landscapes and habitats, but hearing so much about how they are tough to eat eases my desire a bit.
    Whoever told you that is full of shit. As good as anything I’ve eaten. Gut him where he lays and get him cool quick. Not a problem since it’s in the teens. My old man taught me if you shoot it you eat it.

I love antelope, don't ride around with in the back of a side by side all day and it will taste just fine.

Good killing!

If it’s sagey, just saves on seasoning for the sausage.

Whatever floats your boat. We gutted mine and iced him immediately, but still tasted like crap to me. To each his own, but saying that someone's opinion makes them full of shit is a little silly. I didn't like the taste. My grandmother loved it. Neither of us was wrong.
    Carolina Counsel

Growing up, My grandpa and Dad killed a couple a year every year .. We ate them with no complaints.

The last one I shot in Wyoming was pretty damned great. It's all about cooling the meat and of course how well it's cooked. I don't mind eating Mule Deer or Antelope. To me they taste very similar as they have the same basic diet. Sage is not the biggest part of their diet, although a highly nutritious plant. They readily eat grass and cactus in areas where they find it.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

on my bucket list, and looking for mule deer pics too

1857A040-83C8-4FD3-A40C-E1372E5C36F7.jpg2nd day was pretty much same as the first cruising around glassing goats then figuring out if we could stalk them. We came a cross a pair of bucks chasing a doe around a big open flat The trail buck was a stud. Good length good mass and solid cutters clearly better than what we had seen to this point. The doe was going to pass by us about a hundred yards out so I got ready. Big Hank spied something he didn’t like so he peeled off the doe and ran back out in the middle of the flat and gave me the stink eye, thus began my pursuit of Big Hank. We played cat and mouse around that flat for a while till he said screw this and headed up into a bowl in a group of 5 small hills. I told my buddies to pick me up on the other side about a couple of miles away. I circled around and got the wind in my favor and went up the back side to take a look. He had joined up with a group of 7 other bucks. The wind was blowing 20-25 and it was sleeting like crazy. Rangefinder wouldn’t give me a distance and in that wind it was just too far to chance a shot. They were feeding at a pretty steady clip so I hustled to get in front and ambush them. They came over a rise about 150 yds out, but it had started to snow really hard I was having a hard tim telling who was who with the wind blowing snow and sleet in my face and optics. I picked out what looked like the biggest and dumped him. A 279 with a 130 TTSX is some stout antelope medicine. Too bad it wasn’t big boy.