Thread: Old time Ducker is gone......

DUCKMAN is offline Moderator - Traveling Duck Assasin

Default Old time Ducker is gone......

We lost a dedicated waterfowl hunter and conservationist! Bobby Desportes died yesterday. He hunted many parts of S.C. from the hills to to the coastal marsh! He formed the Columbia Chapter of Ducks Unlimited and was the longest serving committee member! He supported all conservation causes! He will be missed! Save a spot in the that big blind for me please!
    DUCKMAN<br /><br />\"If you love waterfowl - support DU and the Flyway Foundation!!\"

Bobby was one of a kind. Didn't even try to hide it. He would come by, have us pour corn straight into his jonbote, and off to the swamp he would go. He killed the hell out of them...

one of my favorite people of all time. I had the pleasure of his company enough to know he was exactly what JAB and Ned are saying....he was who he was and was damn good at it.

Some of his videos of nesting wood ducks were unbelievable. He would hide in his little spot waiting for them to leave the nest. Recorded on old VHS tapes with all the limitations they had....

He had an office across from the publick house and I would go up there and sit with him and go thru his stuff. He would show me pictures and videos (NOT on a cell phone) that were so much fun to watch and listen to him talk about.

Back at the end of the Fork Swamp days he called me and asked (told me) he was going camping one last time on the dead river during duck season. I cant imagine all the stories he could've told that night.

He once told me who knew exactly how much corn an Arkansas Traveler could hold and still have a couple of inches of freeboard to get back in the swamp with two men and a dog. Like jab said, he werent lying.

The last few years have been tough on him and his wife and sons. The last time he left his house was to come to my office and eat lunch with us at the mouse trap. He was ready to go....and I'm glad God finally has him.

Godspeed my friend. The ducks are safer now. Tell my dad hi. He will enjoy catching up with you.

Damn this makes me sad...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

He had over 1000 big ducks imprinted on a ridge for years. He had sense enough to feed them on one side and hunt them on the other so that they never got shot out. It took us 2 years to figure out how he did it, but we also had sense enough not to shoot them when they all came in at once one morning on the feed side. Glory be that was something...

Were he and Dan Davis friends?

Ned can answer that. Hunting wise I always knew DD to roll solo or with his kids. No witnesses...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Ned can answer that. Hunting wise I always knew DD to roll solo or with his kids. No witnesses...
    I rolled with Dan...once.

My condolences. Sure hate to read about thse Gents leaving this world. Grateful that they go home to be with the Lord.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Sounds like a character. I like characters

Sorry to hear it fellas.

Men of that generation are slowly leaving us. Consider yourself lucky to have known them.

There are several that I plan to memorialize with plaques on trees when they go, so those that come after will know that these ways have been perfected long before them.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I probably knew the face, but not the name.

RIP

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 10-09-2019 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Bobby was one of a kind. Didn't even try to hide it. He would come by, have us pour corn straight into his jonbote, and off to the swamp he would go. He killed the hell out of them...
    Sounds like my kind of people...Godspeed Sir.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Sounds like a man I would have loved to have known. All the old duck veterans and pioneers of the outdoors in the state are leaving us one by one. I didn't know Mr. Bobby but I've known a some of the outdoor legends a few of whom taught me more than I could have ever learned on my own. They did things their way because they knew their way was the right way, to hell with what anyone else thought. I will be forever grateful for what these great men passed along and I have always felt it was my duty to pay what I learned forward to younger folks. Godspeed, Mr. Desportes.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

This news just ruined my day. I considered Bobby a very close friend and hate to say I had not seen him in a while. I got to know Bobby from my sister that frequented the Mouse Trap all the time and from Columbia DU. He was definitely a character and had a one of a kind personality. Our nickname for him was "Old Fool" and it fit him perfectly. I shot doves with him countless times and always had a great time talking past hunts and excursions. He will be missed tremendously by a ton of people who considered him a friend.
    I only hunt on days that end in "y"!

Sorry to hear this!

Mrs Daisy said there will be a celebration of Bobby's life at mr bunky's hanger tuesday (oct 22) from 330-until....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Sad when these old characters pass away. I had an Uncle who passed 7 or 8 years ago who was pretty involved with Columbia DU and belonged to what I think was the Santee Gun Club. Did any of you older guys on here know Rhett Miller? He was one of a kind as well and reading these accounts of your friend reminded me of him. Godspeed Bobby!