Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cold Weather Jacket Recommendation

Default Cold Weather Jacket Recommendation

Just moved to NW Iowa and am probably going to need some actual cold weather gear. The big thing for me that I will need is a jacket. I wouldn't mind something that I can use for hunting and day-to-day wear but if not, no big deal. I've got a few jackets for hunting that should get me through duck season which goes out Dec 3rd...hopefully before the brutal cold hits. I am expecting a good amount of snow and lots of wind. We've had locals tell us the feels like temperatures can get down to -60...we didn't get the impression that's common but the wind is basically always a factor and in the winter it's very often below 0.

About the warmest single jacket I have is probably my Drake MST that's got to be 10 years old and nearing the end of its use. Or a Carhartt. I've never had to buy anything "serious" like this and from what I've seen, many are not exactly cheap. So if y'all have any experience with brands or even a specific jacket, I would appreciate your input.

Layering is the key. A good fleece under an even better shell is good or a nano-puff jacket from Patagonia. In all seriousness look at companies like Patagonia, Mountain hardware, etc. for quality cold weather gear. Or Sitka or Kuiu if you want camo.
    cut\'em

i lived in MN for two winters. My dad got me a big ass jacket. I think I wore it a couple of times on a snowmobile. Otherwise, it was big and useless.

southernduck hit it. layer. you arent going to antarctica.

Now, I WOULD buy a decent pair of boots and some gloves and scarves. they will be much more useful.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Don't overlook wool or down for insulation. With a windstopper shell. My friends in that area love and swear by the Cabela's Wooltimate jacket with the Windshear barrier. The jacket has wool and fleece. Layering is as mentioned very important. You are going to need something high quality for your head too. Heat escapes through your head quickly.

Don't overlook a set of coveralls or bibs.

The fellas in MN that I hunt with think Sitka is overrated. I don't own any, so it's purely secondhand. They regularly hunt in subzero temps in relative comfort wearing the Cabela's stuff.
    Last edited by nitro5x6's; 10-08-2019 at 08:53 AM.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I have a wool beretta quarter zip with wind barrier interior and its warm as can be with plenty of room for layering underneath and easily worn with another jacket.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

^my own personal hell would be to be forced to wear that out in public

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Don't overlook wool or down for insulation. With a windstopper shell. My friends in that area love and swear by the Cabela's Wooltimate jacket with the Windshear barrier. The jacket has wool and fleece. Layering is as mentioned very important. You are going to need something high quality for your head too. Heat escapes through your head quickly.

Don't overlook a set of coveralls or bibs.

The fellas in MN that I hunt with think Sitka is overrated. I don't own any, so it's purely secondhand. They regularly hunt in subzero temps in relative comfort wearing the Cabela's stuff.
    Pound for pound, dollar for dollar, you simply cannot beat Cabelas wooltimate line. They’re the warmest non-insulated garments I’ve ever worn, and while not waterproof, they shed water extremely well. They’re also windproof which makes all the difference. I have the pants, vest, and jacket. The pants and jacket, with a decent layer or two underneath, is more than sufficient down into the teens. If I’m not mistaken, you can pick up the jacket and pants for under $250-$275

I would spend money on really cool looking stuff if I was even I was there for only a short bit. Because you'll always have pictures to look back on, and years later, you'll be like I looked awesome.

You should be asking the locals instead of a bunch of sub-tropical good-ole-boys. Rent clothes if you can because global warming is coming and in a couple years, Iowans are going to be asking us how to dress for hot weather.

I don’t have any suggestions for you but my older brother just moved to Iowa City to get his PhD in epidemiology. I guess y’all can freeze together.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I would spend money on really cool looking stuff if I was even I was there for only a short bit. Because you'll always have pictures to look back on, and years later, you'll be like I looked awesome.
    Gets it
    "I am a man, not an animal and I always try to conduct myself accordingly. Doing anything less is just giving up and expecting (and being okay) with failure."
    Rubberhead

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i lived in MN for two winters. My dad got me a big ass jacket. I think I wore it a couple of times on a snowmobile. Otherwise, it was big and useless.

southernduck hit it. layer. you arent going to antarctica.

Now, I WOULD buy a decent pair of boots and some gloves and scarves. they will be much more useful.
    Exactly why I don't want to go wear something huge and poofy, I don't want to get something that sucks to wear to the point I won't use it. Ha, yeah I know I'm not going to Antartica but I've never lived anywhere with winters that will come close to what we've been told to expect so just want to be prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by SCSwitchback View Post
    Pound for pound, dollar for dollar, you simply cannot beat Cabelas wooltimate line. They’re the warmest non-insulated garments I’ve ever worn, and while not waterproof, they shed water extremely well. They’re also windproof which makes all the difference. I have the pants, vest, and jacket. The pants and jacket, with a decent layer or two underneath, is more than sufficient down into the teens. If I’m not mistaken, you can pick up the jacket and pants for under $250-$275
    Awesome, sounds like that may be what I need.

again, you will learn to appreciate hats, gloves, and boots. any jackets you have will come in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    again, you will learn to appreciate hats, gloves, and boots. any jackets you have will come in handy.
    How about scarves?
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

Last edited by Birddawg; 10-08-2019 at 09:56 AM.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

I would definitely try to find a way to work in a scarf..

We bow hunt Kansas every November and the wind is brutal. 50 degree temps there with the wind will feel like 20’s and 30’s in SC. I wear Sitka for my outer layer coat and bibs and wear multiple layers of other brands underneath. Also merino first my base layer. Spend the money and buy quality for your outer layers so you can have an enjoyable and successful hunt.
    Last edited by BugBuster; 10-08-2019 at 10:18 AM.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    You should be asking the locals instead of a bunch of sub-tropical good-ole-boys. Rent clothes if you can because global warming is coming and in a couple years, Iowans are going to be asking us how to dress for hot weather.
    Have you seen how those people dress? Their clothes are depressing.
    Last edited by wskinner; 10-08-2019 at 12:04 PM.

believe it or not, covering exposed skin is important. so, yes, a scarf can be a necessary fashion accessory in cold weather.