Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dog with heartworms

Default dog with heartworms

my wife carried my gsp to the vet yesterday and he tested positive for heartworms he has been on heartgaurd since he was 6 months old never missed a dose and given every 29 days the vet says she thinks he got them as a puppy before starting the heartgaurd my question is would it not have showed up on his test at one year old if he got them as a puppy and also what are yalls opinions on the slow or fast treatment im just not crazy about the aggressive treatment also if it matters he is 2 years old and hasn't should any symptoms of anything

Punctuation makes things much easier to read.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

My lab tested positive a little over a year ago. We did the slow treatment of heartworm meds every 2 weeks. The vet said that the cost would end up being about the same. After a year of it, he tested negative. We are back on once a month. Once I am out, I will be switching to the 12 month shot.

And I assume the responsibility of him testing positive.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,

Thomas Jefferson

Is the shot you are talking about proheart injection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The larvae are susceptible to the drugs for a about 40-45 days, hence the reason for monthly HWP. We start puppies at 8-9 weeks of age now because of this reason. Your dog has essentially been on the slow kill for a year and half and is still testing positive because he has adult worms. The adults can live up to 7 years. I treat several dogs per week via fast kill, and if your dog is young and healthy I would not hesitate to do the injections with him. Essentially 2 injections and month of cage rest and you are done. Be happy to help you out.

My dog's vet said that some medicines aren't working like they have in the past. Almost like the worms have evolved to accept the medicines with no effects.
    "The bird possesses a remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness." - Tom Kelly

"Some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters." - Archibald Rutledge

Do the immiticide treatment. While you are "slow killing" the heartworms to save a buck or whatever the adult worms are irreversibly damaging your dogs heat and lungs.

Below is the only recommended protocol for safe and effective treatment...

https://d3ft8sckhnqim2.cloudfront.ne...pdf?1564157216
    Last edited by Glenn; 10-08-2019 at 01:49 PM.

And no medication, no matter what you've been told, is 100% effective. Preventatives are like seat belts.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    And no medication, no matter what you've been told, is 100% effective. Preventatives are like seat belts.
    What's your stance on Ivermectin dosing once a month? I've been doing that with mine for 20yrs and never had a positive test. Got one old GSP female that'll be 17 if she makes February.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    What's your stance on Ivermectin dosing once a month? I've been doing that with mine for 20yrs and never had a positive test. Got one old GSP female that'll be 17 if she makes February.
    Same here with no issues
    80-20 Genaration

Same here. 20 years & no issues.

Same here for 15 years or so with at least six dogs. The only one who ever tested positive was the first one and he had them when I adopted him right after he had completed the treatment.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

ivermectin is the active ingredient in heartguard as long as you are dosing correctly in micrograms you are good to go. I would test them annually because of resistance and compliance.....the ivermectin will not cover other intestinal worms covered by most preventatives.

Good question. Ivermectin or variations there of, is/are the base ingredient in a lot Rx preventatives. So just as those Rx ones aren't 100%, neither is the ivermectin you're giving. But that being said, the number of pets that test positive that have diligently been on and never missed a dose of preventative is rare squared. When you really unpack most of these cases of positives where the owner says they haven't missed a dose, they've missed a dose (or twelve) and just want someone or something on which to lay blame instead of taking ownership for their failures.

"When you really unpack most of these cases of positives where the owner says they haven't missed a dose, they've missed a dose (or twelve) and just want someone or something on which to lay blame instead of taking ownership for their failures." As stated by the cat doc.

I fully accept responsibility for my lab testing positive. I was always pretty consistent (had it on the calendar to remind me) with giving meds. My wife's dad had a lot of medical issues happen in a short period of time, and shit happens. He tested positive. It was easier for us to do the slow kill at that time. He was also on antibiotics to help make the heartworms "more susceptible" to the treatment.

Thomas Jefferson

Default dog with heartworms

Glenn, won’t some drug manufacturers pay for tx if you can prove you have bought enough to cover the lifespan of said dog? I feel like I remember that being mentioned but maybe only after atleast one confirmed negative test?

I am not providing medical advice here, only anecdotal evidence. A friend has 30 dogs outside 100% of the time in the francis marion/awendaw area and he doses ivomec orally once a month and they all recently tested negative.

I also tested the red wolves this past spring in awendaw and they give ivomec in food meatballs and I was kind of surprised they tested negative.

Whoever asked about proheart, that is an injectable preventative and comes in 6 and 12 month dose administered by a vet.

Immiticide is the drug used to kill/treat adult heartworm infections. I have seen plenty of dogs do just fine with it and cant really think of any negative cases except injection site soreness temporarily. The toughest part is exercise restriction because the dogs dont know they have to stay calm for 30+ days. Lots of crate time.

Edit: traditional heartworm preventatives work retroactively killing larval stages present in the dog if they have been exposed in the past ~30 days. It does not work proactively. Larval stages are susceptible while adults are not, or at least not as susceptible.

Last edited by Islandguy85; 10-08-2019 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    Glenn, won’t some drug manufacturers pay for tx if you can prove you have bought enough to cover the lifespan of said dog? I feel like I remember that being mentioned but maybe only after atleast one confirmed negative test?

I am not providing medical advice here, only anecdotal evidence. A friend has 30 dogs outside 100% of the time in the francis marion/awendaw area and he doses ivomec orally once a month and they all recently tested negative.

I also tested the red wolves this past spring in awendaw and they give ivomec in food meatballs and I was kind of surprised they tested negative.

Whoever asked about proheart, that is an injectable preventative and comes in 6 and 12 month dose administered by a vet.

Immiticide is the drug used to kill/treat adult heartworm infections. I have seen plenty of dogs do just fine with it and cant really think of any negative cases except injection site soreness temporarily. The toughest part is exercise restriction because the dogs dont know they have to stay calm for 30+ days. Lots of crate time.

Edit: traditional heartworm preventatives work retroactively killing larval stages present in the dog if they have been exposed in the past ~30 days. It does not work proactively. Larval stages are susceptible while adults are not, or at least not as susceptible.

Some will but you have to blind them with paper trails showing consistent use/purchase of the product and annual to bi-annual testing etc. They do it as a good faith measure and not because the product is guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Some will but you have to blind them with paper trails showing consistent use/purchase of the product and annual to bi-annual testing etc. They do it as a good faith measure and not because the product is guaranteed.
    Thats what I thought. Been awhile since I have been inundated with heartworm product info.

I give a half a cc 1 time a month and been clear so far. Isnt ivromec the main ingredient in the heartworm meds?
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Quote Originally Posted by coot nasty View Post
    I give a half a cc 1 time a month and been clear so far. Isnt ivromec the main ingredient in the heartworm meds?
    Yes it is an active ingredient/main ingredient in a few. And for god sakes dont treat this as gold but I THINK a 10% soln usually calls for
    .1cc per 10lbs.