Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dog with heartworms

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    Yes it is an active ingredient/main ingredient in a few. And for god sakes dont treat this as gold but I THINK a 10% soln usually calls for
    .1cc per 10lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stear clear with border collies aussie shepherds etc. look it up. There is a gene mutation that makes them intolerant and you will kill their ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    Yes it is an active ingredient/main ingredient in a few. And for god sakes dont treat this as gold but I THINK a 10% soln usually calls for
    .1cc per 10lbs.

I mix 40 ml of Propylene Glycol with 10 ml of Ivomec and give 1 ml of the 4:1 mix per 20 lbs of body weight.

Is that not the normal dosage that also treats for several types of worms?
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Default dog with heartworms

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    I mix 40 ml of Propylene Glycol with 10 ml of Ivomec and give 1 ml of the 4:1 mix per 20 lbs of body weight.

Is that not the normal dosage that also treats for several types of worms?
    My potential concern with mixing your own is how do you know if the ivomec is uniformly distributed in your solution?

Glenn (or any of the other vets on here) will know better, but I believe extra/off label use has suggested effective treatment against hook and round worms w ivomec. Ivomec is a macrocyclic lactone and in summary works as a paralytic to certain parasites.

You will notice medications such as Heartgard have ivermectin and pyrantel. Pyrantel specifically treats hooks and rounds. Add nexgard and you get flea/tick protection.

Trifexis (spinosad+milbemycin oxime) can do heartworms, hooks, rounds, and whips and is a flea preventative as well.

Sentinel Spectrum (milbemycin oxime+lufenuron+praziquantel) prevents heartworm and fleas, and treats hooks, rounds, tapes, whips.

Trifexis kills fleas, sentinel prevents flea eggs from hatching. Neither address ticks so you can add nexgard or a topical.

These are not the only preventatives on the market. As mentioned above there is proheart. Also Simparica, bravecto, credelio, a number of topicals, collars, and generics that all have different coverages and modes of action.

Many vets will have varying opinions on product choice but the bottom line is if your dog is a working dog (any dog really) and in the elements it should be on heartworm, flea, and tick preventatives. I would recommend year round prevention even for tick and fleas and also think it is a good idea to consult with your vet and buy the product from a reputable, licensed vendor (your vet). If you get it from an unknown source you never know what it is necessarily, and the companies wont back it if there is an issue. There have been counterfeit cases in the past.

It seems expensive to buy these meds but a lifetime of heartworm preventative can be cheaper than one treatment. I suggest taking advantage of any bulk rebates when they are available. It is far easier to stay in front of these parasites and ultimately the best for your pet.

Last edited by Islandguy85; 10-09-2019 at 09:03 AM.

The Bayer Seresto collars are the best tick preventative I've used. They are pricey but last a long time, well over the advertised 6 months.