Thread: Palmetto Bug on safety harness

Default Palmetto Bug on safety harness

https://www.amazon.com/Hunter-Safety...ef_=ast_sto_dp

Not wanting to take away from the thread on the injured deer hunter, I would like for you to explain how that harness works. I can understand the belt part. My imagination just doesn't get the rope part. Thanks.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

your link is for the safety rope

PB posted a climbing harness. you tether to the tree at the waist. I use one. Its far more comfortable to wear but (knock on wood) i havent had to test it. I think he touted when you fall, you are facing the tree of whatever...but, like shotshell in a duck breast, its not something that crosses my mind.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    your link is for the safety rope

PB posted a climbing harness. you tether to the tree at the waist. I use one. Its far more comfortable to wear but (knock on wood) i havent had to test it. I think he touted when you fall, you are facing the tree of whatever...but, like shotshell in a duck breast, its not something that crosses my mind.
    If you fall with a traditional harness, you are suspended from your back and probably won't be able to reach your rope above where your prusik knot is attached without some serious rope climbing. With a climbing belt, you will be facing your rope and, at least on my rig, I'll be able to relieve the strain on my prusik knot to slide it down. If I was truly diligent, I'd carry a separate loop to attach below the main prusik so I could push up with a leg, loosen the main knot and ratchet my way down. Remember, if you fall, you may be injured or otherwise might not have full use or strength of both arms. Hanging from a harness for any significant amount of time presents its own dangers.

The system is made up of a permanent safety rope that ties off above your stand and at the bottom of you climbing stick, ladder or whatever. You connect your lanyard from your belt to the sliding knot on the safety rope and slide it up as you go. The knot will slide if pushed by your hand but will tighten when pulled from the lanyard.

The lanyard is simply a 5 or 6 foot piece of climbing rope with one end tied to the front of your belt. The lanyard has a sliding (prusik) knot with a carabiner on it. The lanyard can be used as a tether between the permanent safety rope and your belt or as a lineman's loop/belt. With a climber stand or when putting up a new ladder, you wrap your lanyard around the tree and fasten the carabiner back to you belt. The sliding knot lets you adjust for different size trees. If you really want to do it right, you should have two lanyards so you can hop over limbs one lanyard at a time so you are never unconnected.

Some of the other pictures on each Amazon page might give you a better idea of how it is rigged.
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; 10-08-2019 at 09:37 AM.

i was just messing with you..,..but

with the climbing harness, I always wonder if I fall am I gonna be hanging upside down?
    but i dont dwell on it bc its not fun thinking about....

I've tested mine and yes, you are likely to be upside down at first but it's pretty easy to right yourself.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i was just messing with you..,..but

with the climbing harness, I always wonder if I fall am I gonna be hanging upside down?
    but i dont dwell on it bc its not fun thinking about....
    Might do you some good to hang upside down for awhile...

meanie

FYI: if you use a climbing harness as a harness, and use one of these ropes, make sure you have minimal (read as “no”) slack between you and the rope. Those ropes are static ropes which don’t stretch. A grown man falling and quickly stopping is dangerous also.

I wear a saddle so I always have tension on my “safety strap” due to the nature of the hunting style, but I get nervous when I see folks with RC harnesses and static rope safety lines and straps.

I think I confused myself typing this. Main takeaway: slack is Bad!

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I've tested mine and yes, you are likely to be upside down at first but it's pretty easy to right yourself.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Not if you have skinny little legs and a big fat gut, physics wins.

I can tell you from experience that hitting the ground from 20 feet is a lot harder on the body than a sudden stop from a rope. With that said I understand what you were saying and would not want that to happen either.
    Last edited by LabLuvR; 10-08-2019 at 03:15 PM.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    I can tell you from experience that hitting the ground from 20 feet is a lot harder on the body than a sudden stop from a rope. With that said I understand what you were saying and would not want that to happen either.
    Totally get it. I’ve seen some guys put their strap between their legs while in the stand with a RC harness. That’s just asking for a serious injury

I have a harness I use for my buckshot climbers. It is set up for me facing a tree. This just looks a lot easier and less cumbersome.

Now speaking of buckshots, I used to have a couple that were made of the tubular steel. One pre season test and one collapsed real quick. I guess because I left them out all season and they rusted from the inside out. I threw away 4 stands that day.

I do like their aluminum set ups a lot more.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Prusik knot. Slides up and down the rope easily but in case of a fall it grips the rope. It works very well.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Oops I see that PB already answered your question.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

I use the hss lifeline. Simply slide it up the tree with you as you ascend, use the tag end to pull up your weapon.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Side note, I have 3 new in bag harnesses if anyone wants them, came with summit stands and don't need them. In Columbia area, be safe out there

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    I use the hss lifeline. Simply slide it up the tree with you as you ascend, use the tag end to pull up your weapon.
    And how do you connect to the lifeline? Is it the belt described above or a harness??

I have stepped off my platform many times with my climbing harness just for test and familiarity. When set right meaning little slack to the tree you aren't turning upside down and you aren't going far period. If you are in a climber and have your bottom attached to top as you should its easy peasy to scoot down the tree and to your bottom (which should only be slightly longer than your personal climbing reach)or to the bottom of the tree for that matter. No way I would use a rear attach harness again after trying the climbing harness.
    Genesis 9;2

No matter the harness system be sure you have a knife you can easily reach, preferably a serrated blade with a smooth back. I use the HSS vest and keep a serrated knife where I can grab with either hand. Just in case you ever have to cut yourself out of your harness and hug-slide a pine down to the ground.