Thread: Anchorage in December

Default Anchorage in December

So I found out I'm probably going to be in Anchorage for 2 weeks this December. Duck season is in till the 16th, so there's a window to shoot some ducks/geese while I'm there. Obviously I'll be in need of a guide service.

Anyone got a lead on one near there, by chance?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 10-06-2019 at 10:43 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I have friends that live there let me reach out to them

Thanks, let me know what you find.

RK, you got any leads?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

Not for that area. If you want to get on the Alaska forums and hit up Waldo you may get lucky. He works for the Alaska Marine Highway System on the ferry and duck hunts when he’s not stuck on the ship. He was always willing to take people although I never got to hunt with him. Regardless you’ll likely be driving to hunt. Probable locations are Homer, Valdez, and possibly Whittier if you get lucky and find a local.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/

Register on there and post up on the duck hunting section. You’ll likely find someone willing to take you. It may just be out to the flats for mallards though because most of the locals don’t shoot too many seas ducks.

On a side note. I’m up for transfer again next year and the wife has put Juneau pretty high up on our dream sheet. I may be seeing a return trip to Alaska in the near future! I also have Petaluma and Alameda California on there along with Seattle. We prefer the West Coast for outdoor activities! LOL
    Last edited by Ring King; 10-07-2019 at 09:32 AM.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

I've got a cousin that lives in Barrow now, doubt you'd want to head up around there in December.

Thanks for the insight RK. These random trips my AF Reserve unit get are my big limiting factor. We typically go to C-17 bases to help support en route traffic.

I wish we went to Travis more often, but again, I can only get in on the trips we get tasked for.

There's a list of waterfowl guides on the AK site, including the area(s) they are in. Since my geography knowledge of AK is bad at best, I was literally going down the list and entering each one into Google maps. No one seemed to be close by, but I did not even get halfway thru the list.

Unfortunately not knowing how much mobility I'll have, my ability to move around may be limited. Kenia and Homer seem to be closest options. At the crow flies it's not far, but we're talking hours away with the route we'd have to drive to get there. Just don't know if that's an option.

We'll be right there on Knik Arm, and Sixmile Lake is near the AFB, just don't know what the hunting options are there. Will Sixmile be froze over by then? One of the guys in my Reserve unit was stationed at Elmendorf for 4 years and said there's only 6 hours or so of daylight in December, with temps in the teens or single digits mostly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Barrow is only 700 mi away. That's an option...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

i talked to my buddy, he lives just north of ANC. His words were this...the hard par about duckhunting in December is all of the water is frozen for the most part, after October water fowl slows down a lot. He could maybe do some sea ducks out of Whittier. He said he didnt know any guides down there though.

if you decide to hunt out of Homer, just fly down there on Ravn Air. 30 min flight for $125 or so. Much more reliable than the Sterling Hwy in the winter. My sister just moved back to the east coast after 4 years in homer and she said driving to Anchorage in the winter can be a bitch.
    cut\'em

Thanks Patrick. I figured hunting ducks there in early December would be a long shot as most everything would be locked up and birds would be thin.

Might see a warm spell and catch a break. Gotta try.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I hunted outside of anchorage a few years ago with a client/friend. We did pretty well, great scenery. Hunted the flats about 45 minutes from downtown anchorage.

22E5A7B8-6753-41FF-ADDA-FDC4DFFB5E85.jpg

E86823E0-3E3C-4A13-9896-641D30FFA7C2.jpg

Squatting flew up to Cordova and hunted with me in December. We hammered the sea ducks and had the best mallard hunt I’ve ever been on in the salt marsh. If you can find open water the birds are still around! Just have to find moving water. Many of the birds will be gone by then but the hardier species like mallards stay up there pretty much year round.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Ring King View Post
    Squatting flew up to Cordova and hunted with me in December. We hammered the sea ducks and had the best mallard hunt I’ve ever been on in the salt marsh. If you can find open water the birds are still around! Just have to find moving water. Many of the birds will be gone by then but the hardier species like mallards stay up there pretty much year round.
    we CRUSHED them!!!!!

Many birds from that trip are enshrined still to this day at my house.
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Y'all getting me all giddy. Biggest problem I'm seeing is how to get my gun on board. I don't think they'll let me roll on C-17 with a shotgun but I'm gonna find out!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    So I found out I'm probably going to be in Anchorage for 2 weeks this December. Duck season is in till the 16th, so there's a window to shoot some ducks/geese while I'm there. Obviously I'll be in need of a guide service.

Anyone got a lead on one near there, by chance?

Couple years ago I was in AK hunting. When hunt was over took a day trip to Whitter. This town is known as "The gateway to Prince William Sound" 60 mi. SE of Anchorage. Give Whitter Marine Charters a call AT: (907) 440-9510. They know all the charters available and if there is a duck charter there they know it. Also the tunnel you will have to drive through is also a R/R tunnel. Only available for auto traffic at certain times of day. When you come out of tunnel into Whitter, WOW what a view. Good luck
    Home Of :

HRCH HR SHR Sunstar's Gigi The Boss's Daughter MH

Sunstar's Lookout 4 Miz Azie
    Sunstar's The Pro-Zak Attack

WWW.sunstarsduckdogs.com

Update.

I ended up getting in touch with a guide there who's active duty Army. He said open water is getting hard to find. Unfortunately I still don't have any info on when I'll get a day off. But if the weather cooperates and there's enough birds nearby to hunt, he's got guns/gear I can use, aside from wash clothes, which of course I'll already have.

Right now temps are in 30s/40s, but right about the time I'll get there on Dec 3rd looks like a cold front will be moving in and highs will be in the teens with lows in single digits.

Hoping like hell it'll warm up a tad and we can get on some birds.

Last edited by willyworm; 11-28-2019 at 08:03 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]