Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 20 gauge 2 3/4 in a beaver swamp

the last thing that I'm thinking about when shooting ducks....pellets in my meal
    Strangely ironic coming from someone called DUCKMEAT but ok
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

duckmeat, not imscaredofpelletsinmyduckmeat

do you like duckmeat?

I've got too much invested in keeping my teeth to add risk by eating steel shot. I even have a little metal detector I use to find pellets. It's not only to keep from breaking my own teeth. If my wife ever bites into a steel pellet, it will be even more difficult to talk her into being open minded about wild game.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I've got too much invested in keeping my teeth to add risk by eating steel shot. I even have a little metal detector I use to find pellets. It's not only to keep from breaking my own teeth. If my wife ever bites into a steel pellet, it will be even more difficult to talk her into being open minded about wild game.
    Where did you find this gadget?

Mercy people it's just a Wood Duck, don't overthink it. They are easy to kill, from 2's to 7's, you still gotta put pellets on target. Most of you just need to hit the sporting clays range. After that, whatever shells are in the floorboard of your truck will kill a Wood Duck.
    Last edited by BRR; 10-08-2019 at 05:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNSON View Post
    Where did you find this gadget?
    Garrett pinpoint metal detector. It does a good job finding steel but isn't much help with lead pellets in doves and quail.

https://www.amazon.com/Garrett-11409...11107506&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    I really have no idea why so many people recommend shooting the steel 7's. Does it kill ducks ? Sure. But it also leaves a lot of shot in the bird with few pass throughs. I would recommend a larger shot size unless you really enjoy visiting your dentist.
    We are, after all, talking about close shooting. And I'm telling you, from experience, at 25 yards, its going all the way through. I have no intent on getting into details about this, but I've killed hundreds of mallards with #6 steel and pellets have never been a problem. Further, I've found plenty of 2's in duck meat over the years. And so, to your point that larger pellets don't present the exact same problem, I'll tell you with confidence that your point is largely bullshit. Further, if pellets are a problem for you, you might rethink the whole hunting birds with a shotgun thing. Most of us realized early on that pellets are part of the deal. And lastly, why do you care? Mind your own damn business, professor.

To the guy who started this post...great topic. Lots of good discussion here. But seriously, at 25 yards, you are the weak link in the performance chain. Small pellets (6's or 7's) and an open choke, like improved cylinder, skeet, or cylinder will work well. In all cases, patterning for the sake of seeing pellet distribution is a waste of ammo. It would be better spent shooting close range clay targets.

just when I thought this thread couldnt get weirder....

I've eaten a ton of ducks. I cant recall any pellets in them (sure, I've seen them but they didnt scare me) but I do clean them a good bit better than you people, apparently. the pellets are usually inside the bloody part of the breast and rinse right out.

I'm STILL comfortable with 7s in a 20 ga but I readily admit I would prefer lead.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

in all cases, patterning for the sake of seeing pellet distribution is a waste of ammo
    my man
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Hi Fish !
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

If you can't hit a duck with a properly choked gun, using 1oz of #6 pellets, you got bigger problems than the decision on whether to use a 12 or 20.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Many of guys in our club have opted for sub gauge shotguns. 20 gauges combined with
    HeviShot shells can be a quite lethal combination

Any caliber with HeviShot can be incredibly lethal. But I'm not going there today.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    The 20 gauge is an awesome shotgun
    So many of my group have gone to the 20 with Hevishot Duck shells
    they are highly effective and can shoot with most any 12 gauge

20 ga in a swamp will kill a limits of wood ducks with one shot.

Boy, this thread has turned all silly

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Any caliber with HeviShot can be incredibly lethal. But I'm not going there today.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    I agree 100%. I have several friends who are using .410's to shoot wood ducks using
    Hevishot Duck 3" #7's and they whack them

Heavy shot again...