Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buzzards In The Hole

Default Buzzards In The Hole

I've got a new duck spot for this coming season and it's slammed packed with wood ducks....and buzzards. There's like 85 of them bastards in there and it's annoying. Obviously the ducks don't care about them, but what would y'all suggest to keep them away? I mean has anyone else ever had this problem?
    Last edited by GOAT; 10-04-2019 at 09:56 AM.

A 22 and tight lips.

A drone. Hahaha
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Why are they a problem? They might be working as confidence decoys for the ducks.

There's a buzzard roost near my place. Roadkill never lasts long and I have used the buzzards to help find deer on more than one occasion.

The world would stink badly without buzzards.

Quote Originally Posted by Coot_Commander View Post
    A 22 and tight lips.
    Better shoot them in the noggin. Those things are tough as a pine knot so I’ve heard.

We used Roman candles when we didn’t want them in a certain area at the farm.
    Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    R. Not
    So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. —Colossians 2:6–7

Just being there more gets them away in my experience. I had them at my river property when I first got it. After the second month or so of being there every weekend I never really saw them again.

You realize you can semi domesticate and train a buzzard doncha? I've mentioned this before, back years ago at the hunt club I was a deer killing machine and made numerous trips to the gut pit to dump a carcass. One buzzard got so used to me that he'd usually land on my tailgate before I got completely backed up to the gut pit. I had him trained to the point he would eat out of my hand and purr like a kitten when I scratched his head.

Amazing creatures....

I can't decide if I'm impressed by that story... that's definitely atypical.

10000% without the garbage men of the sky the world would be a stinky place.

Confidence decoy? Possibly.

All I'm saying it's annoying as hell when you're trying to get work done around your hole and you scare them away then they circle and come back and repeat. I've been with someone who had buzzards roosting at their hole. It was pretty cool to watch the wood ducks dodge them coming in the hole but annoying as hell at the same time.

I'm still fuzzy on why they're so annoying? Are they in the way of shooting or distracting or shitting on stuff or making noise or what?

They've got a hand-fed orphan vulture at the Birds of Prey Center that they use for demonstrations and outreach. He's really pretty cool. Instead of flying back and forth to the handlers for treats, he'd rather jump down and run.

Contrary to their reputation, vultures are very fastidious and clean. Surprising to me was the fact that they nest on the ground. In all my years of kicking around in the woods, it seems like I would have stumbled on a nest by now.

One of their defense tactics is to vomit on their attacker. Many years ago, I was walking down a highway to get help after my car broke down. As I walked over a little bridge, I spooked several vultures that were feeding on an old deer carcass that somebody had thrown in the creek. As the birds took flight, one vomited across the road in my path. I didn't think I was going to be able to get past it because it stunk so bad! Even while holding my breath, when I got near it, my throat would lock up and my stomach would convulse. It was a stink so powerful you could touch and push against it. The old saying about a stink bad enough to "knock a buzzard off the gut wagon" is surely a myth.

We use sky rockets to run them off. Might screw up your duck hole in this case though.
    “Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves.” Lord Byron

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I'm still fuzzy on why they're so annoying? Are they in the way of shooting or distracting or shitting on stuff or making noise or what?

They've got a hand-fed orphan vulture at the Birds of Prey Center that they use for demonstrations and outreach. He's really pretty cool. Instead of flying back and forth to the handlers for treats, he'd rather jump down and run.

Contrary to their reputation, vultures are very fastidious and clean. Surprising to me was the fact that they nest on the ground. In all my years of kicking around in the woods, it seems like I would have stumbled on a nest by now.

One of their defense tactics is to vomit on their attacker. Many years ago, I was walking down a highway to get help after my car broke down. As I walked over a little bridge, I spooked several vultures that were feeding on an old deer carcass that somebody had thrown in the creek. As the birds took flight, one vomited across the road in my path. I didn't think I was going to be able to get past it because it stunk so bad! Even while holding my breath, when I got near it, my throat would lock up and my stomach would convulse. It was a stink so powerful you could touch and push against it. The old saying about a stink bad enough to "knock a buzzard off the gut wagon" is surely a myth.
    Yes they're shitting all over the damn place and it stinks like hell. I'm trying to clean this spot up but it's not really helping when I've got these guys hanging around

It’s just shit man.

The world's vacuum cleaners....
    "some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters"-Archibald Rutledge

Ive seen firsthand them pecking out a newborn calf's eyes before it could stand. Calf was dropped early in the morning and apparently breached because its thighs were swollen. Calf got a bullet and the bastards still got a meal out of the "pit".

They also sh*t on their feet. I wouldnt call that "clean".

Yeah the smell is bad. Smells like ammonia.

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    Ive seen firsthand them pecking out a newborn calf's eyes before it could stand. Calf was dropped early in the morning and apparently breached because its thighs were swollen. Calf got a bullet and the bastards still got a meal out of the "pit".

They also sh*t on their feet. I wouldnt call that "clean".
    Seen it, as well as seen them chase a cow around trying to tear off afterbirth that was still hanging from her. Screw a buzzard.

The old man that owned my place before me told me that they swarmed one of his hog parlors and were killing baby piglets.

They can shit a lot. The big power poles on the powerline ROW near me look like they were painted white.
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; 10-04-2019 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggy View Post
    It’s just shit man.
    I hope 80 buzzards show up at your house and shit everywhere.