Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rat poison that would be ok around dog, outside

Default Rat poison that would be ok around dog, outside

We have a screened back porch, my 12 yr old lab thinks this is his NICE dog house complete with TV. LOL

I noticed a while back in one corner screen was torn, scolded him thinking he did it since it was right behind his food bowl

Well yesterday I saw the culprit while watching Clemson/UNC game. Damn rat. At first I THOUGHT I saw something and then he came back again. Not a huge rat but no household mouse.

Looked around outside and found where he/they are apparently digging in the flower bed below and making tunnels I assume

I have some of those big green “rat pills “ at my office but do not have to worry about anything there. However worried that my lab could possibly get a hold of a dead rat after it eats this stuff. Highly unlikely , he is not overly active at all but do not want to put anything out that would harm him

Any suggestions

Put them inside a bird house and just lay it on the floor.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

In my professional opinion, there is no safe rat poison to have around a dog.
    Hunting outside the box

My last lab died from rat poison. Don’t do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    In my professional opinion, there is no safe rat poison to have around a dog.
    This.

We deal with three types of rat bait:
    1) coumarin-based (aka warfarin based)- your dog develops a coagulopathy from ingesting this, or can get a secondary coagulopathy from eating a dead rat from this stuff
    2) Bromethalin- your dogs brain swells and he dies
    3) Cholecalciferol based- your dog develops rapidly forming mineralization of his organs, muscles, and other soft tissues.

The majority of rat bait toxicity cases we deal with are from the coumarin based products. Depending on dose, time since ingestion, etc., the signs are really variable. That means the prognosis is also variable, but most cases I've seen have done well after treatment. But that treatment is usually 2500-4k, without complications.

Like Zephyr said, there is no safe alternative. Except a cat, maybe. And snakes- I knew a guy who installed some "snake fencing " at his property in the Texas hill country. He said the next year they were overrun with rats.
    Last edited by abarill; 09-29-2019 at 07:46 PM.
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

I'll bring my 8 year old over with his Red Ryder. He'll put so many bb's in those rats you can carry them with a magnet.

I hate em with a passion but with that said, get you an outdoor cat. Problem solved

Get a big plastic trap and put peanut butter on it with a piece of his food stuck in the middle of it. Put it where he can’t get to it.

A rat trap would probably work......

We had wharf rats invade our river camp after the 2015 flood. When we are down there, our dogs pretty much run free. I didn't want to take a chance with poison, so I bought a small live trap, and it worked great. I tried the big spring rat traps first, but they just kept disappearing. This is a picture of one of the smaller ones that I caught.

Screenshot_20190930-073230_Gallery.jpg
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

i bet you could put the bait out at night and bring your dog inside. In the morning, you could pick up the bait before your dog does.
    You could even repeat this process, as needed.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i bet you could put the bait out at night and bring your dog inside. In the morning, you could pick up the bait before your dog does.
    He will not come in house due to hardwood floors. Kind of comical to see

Quote Originally Posted by Pcole View Post
    I'll bring my 8 year old over with his Red Ryder. He'll put so many bb's in those rats you can carry them with a magnet.
    Honestly this crossed my mind however in my direct line of fire would be our Nat Gas water heater/hut. It is outside in one of those huts I actually went to get pellet gun then thought about that
    Last edited by tprice; 09-30-2019 at 07:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
    We had wharf rats invade our river camp after the 2015 flood. When we are down there, our dogs pretty much run free. I didn't want to take a chance with poison, so I bought a small live trap, and it worked great. I tried the big spring rat traps first, but they just kept disappearing. This is a picture of one of the smaller ones that I caught.

Screenshot_20190930-073230_Gallery.jpg

This may be my best option

Back when I lived on a ranch my dog ingested rat poison 3 times. All three times she chased a mouse in a “dog proof” bait box and destroyed the box eating the mouse and the bait. The vet called her special K for all the vitamin K they gave her but she is now 9yo and fine.

The best solution to your problem is this electronic rat trap. It lets you know when you got one and you don’t have dead stinking mice in your flower beds and under your house.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XSHVPVB

ETA it sounds just like the electric chair does in the movies, you know something is getting fried
    Last edited by Southernduck; 09-30-2019 at 07:11 AM.
    cut\'em

I have no idea what rat poison does to dogs but raccoon eat those blocks like candy with no ill effect

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    You still have to worry about your dog eating a rat with a belly full of poison.

well thats his own damn fault.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Make it fun and safe.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 09-30-2019 at 12:26 PM.

We used one of those sticky tape traps from Lowe's. Nailed a rat the size of a young possum in one night of putting it out. Problem in clubhouse ended.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Catch every eastern rat snake you can find and relocate it to your place. No rats no copper heads and most importantly no need for cats.