Thread: Crane on the Brain

Default Crane on the Brain

It did not disappoint. Just a simple and quick grilling k-bob style without the skewers I could not locate. I overcooked them in no time, and they ended up medium to medium well...the amount of done-ness that would result in some cursing and feeding to the dog if this had been duck. It was still delicious, tender, and tasty enough to get thumbs up from the fickle 7 yo. Medium Rare to Rare Plus would be as dead-ringer for a fillet of beef as you can get from anything that does not go "moo." Ducks are now on hold until the Cranes leave the area, as I will be looking to fill as much of my freezer as possible with these fat steaks. I know it's not whiskey-pure, but I'm digging the Screwball Peanut-Butter Burbon neat as the evenings start bringing a nip-to-the-air. ;
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 10-03-2019 at 02:03 PM.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Insane crane in the membrane

Jealous

Dern!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Hunter View Post
    Insane crane in the membrane
    Nice.

Congrats. This is one animal I’ve yet to eat, that I really want to.

Is that an upland bird on the top rack, far left beside the tin-foiled onion?

Looks delicious. You are living the dream.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Those pieces are the “tenderloin” pieces of the crane breast. They are smaller in relation to the breast than the tenderloin on a a turkey, but they have a bigger piece of cartilage and sinew running through them than the turkey tenderloin does...the result is a bunch of shredded, stringy, but INCREDIBLE meat when you are done peeling it away from the sinew that runs its length. That duck is the first wood duck I’ve ever plucked and left the fat on...will be plucking a good many of the ducks I kill this year, because despite overcooking it, the fat covered meat was very nice. There are two hearts on there also...I need to marinate these with something salty and fairly bold that will penetrate, but the heart was freaky-tender. First heart I’ve ever tried...will start keeping the hearts out of my big game and giving them a try. I’m going to try some fried crane liver for breakfast tomorrow before I go try to kill some more. I may be watching too much “the last Alaskans.”
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 10-03-2019 at 09:50 PM.

Very nice. Heart is delicious, we do a fajita type mix with deer hearts and, sometimes, liver if I am feeling it.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

What is this "nip" in the air you speak of? We know nothing about that here.
    there is not a thing wrong with 3 woodies a day!!!

My folks said it was 100 yesterday in Camden; I hate it for y’all. Relatively speaking, it’s been hot here too...been cussing the lack of cold here until about a week ago. That said, we’ve had a solid week of fall-ish weather, and they just changed our 7 day forecast...it now shows lower 20s mid week with snow. Hope y’all get some decent hunting weather soon.
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 10-05-2019 at 02:39 AM.