Thread: Lake Murray Bass Fishing Question

Default Lake Murray Bass Fishing Question

Never really been a bass fisherman, but I have caught a few, mostly by accident.
    The new fishing kayak and this weekends cooler weather have me thinking about trying it
    for a few hours this weekend. If fishing along the banks, docks and points, what should I throw
    if only taking a few baits with me?

Deep docks orange and black jigs, on points poppers and flukes have worked for me the last week. Surface temp was 85 this morning, I haven't found them shallower than 8ft. It needs to cool off.

Be careful to not get run over....
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Start fast- throw a fast moving reaction style bait( rat l trap, spinner bait, buzz bait, fluke, floater fished quickly on top( splashing the surface quick) around points in the creeks and work your way out to the main lake, if they respond- keep going fast until they quit, then change to a different fast bait and try again. When the fish tell you to slow down- fish the fluke or floater with an exposed hook slower out of sight, slow roll a spinnerbait or pump and drop a trap, next gear is jig or worm on bottom.

If you have been productive and it stops- go back through the area with a different lure, different speed etc. Don't leave fish to find fish.

This is the time of year you can catch 100 in a day, keep changing until you decipher the code. Lure type, retrieve, color. If they are hitting it hard- you are money- if nipping and getting 1 back treble hook- something is off, color, size or retrieve.

Those are big money winning tips- PS -don't get discouraged if the day doesn't produce- KVD had plenty of zero days in his career and so did every other pro

thanks for the replies

My wife made me go out in a kayak on a lake one time. The whole time I was thinking this is stupid I could be in a boat with a gas motor

You will find you will catch more rockfish than bass if you come up the river. Bait is THICK
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by loud1 View Post
    My wife made me go out in a kayak on a lake one time. The whole time I was thinking this is stupid I could be in a boat with a gas motor
    Yep. We had a canoe and I rigged it with a trolling motor/Battery gave out and paddled for along time AGAINST the WIND. We sold it
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Kayaks and bikes.

We learn how valuable they are to us, as a society, after we use them for a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like throwing a jerkbait to locate the fish.

I remember that time Palmetto Trooper and I took a fiberglass pond boat, a trolling motor and 3 trolling motor batteries, filled the boat with decoys and gear, had about no where to sit and it took us all 3 batteries to get out and back to duck hunt on Murray. We shot some Scaup, and Ringnecks. We were teenagers. Good times for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    You will find you will catch more rockfish than bass if you come up the river. Bait is THICK
    Talk to me. I've been on them mid lake, are they already past the bridges ?

Stay down there as the fish are bigger

Make sure you check the wind forecast for Saturday. Might pick up a little too much for a kayak.