Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Food Plots

We don't usually plant unti the first weekend in Oct here in South AL but we are going to wait until there is good rain in the forecast.

One thing we do to conserve soil moisture is throw and mow. Just sow seed into tall grass and bushhog just before the rain. Comes up fine and saves your soil structure, diesel fuel, and time. No discing.

May be of interest to some of yall:
    http://www.aldeer.com/forum/ubbthrea...1643856&page=1
    Last edited by walt4dun; 10-02-2019 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberman22 View Post
    I hope that is the case. I planted 10 days ago when I had the chance. I had to plow since I don't have a grain drill and lost alot of moisture. Where the plots are shaded and had soil moisture at planting they are up but where it's in full sun they haven't sprouted.

The million dollar question is how long will the seed be good sitting before it rains on them?

Same here. I’m counting on that seed that never germinated to still be good. I have always heard that drought situations were worse on stuff that has just sprouted than it is on seed still laying in the ground
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by gamecock1974 View Post
    Are everyone's food plots in the midlands and upstate gone to shit at the moment with no rain?

I got my fields all plowed up and ready to plant and my seed has been riding around in the back of my truck for over a month now. Waiting for rain in the forecast before I spread it. Finally going to get planted this Sunday on the off chance of rain early next week. Seems we had a similar dry spell two years ago and the seed I put down became crow/dove/turkey food.

How are others looking or have you been waiting on rain and less heat as well?
    you are doing the right thing. I will never understand people that want to plant food plots when the conditions arent right. I plan to plant a couple this weekend.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    Same here. I’m counting on that seed that never germinated to still be good. I have always heard that drought situations were worse on stuff that has just sprouted than it is on seed still laying in the ground
    True that. We had some cotton seed that laid dormant for almost a month before it came up, and miraculously it all came up. Just didn’t have the moisture it needed until then.

Have not even planted the one near my house in Anderson, probably put seed in ground this week

Tract I hunt with another guy in Calhoun Falls same thing

NO DAMN RAIN.

Going ahead and doing them all tomorrow and this weekend and hope for rain.

Both tracts really need food plots to pull deer out of thick cover

for those deer whisperers....
    my sawtooth oaks are getting hammered like never before. I was thinking it was finally the year that all the hard work of planting them finally came to fruition. Well, its partly that but mostly just a preferred food source when few others are available.

I went and found a few that have kind of been less maintained and lots of scrub crap around them. It looks like someone came in there with a weed-eater to clear under them. I was impressed. Granted, the hogs do a fine job of that, too.

How old are the sawtooths 2th?

I have been waiting on a little rain just so I can get started mowing and discing a couple places. I just can't muster the energy to do that kind of work while it's been so damn hot, still and dusty.

I finally got around to putting out a few feeders last weekend. I've only sat twice this year so far. I usually have two or three in the freezer by now.

some are probably 20 years old....on down to maybe 5-7 years. all are dropping.

i havent sat in a deer stand since aug 16th

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    Kind of what I always figured as well, better for seed to sit in ground instead of get just enough rain to sprout and then dry

SLIGHT chance of rain on Monday around here but not much

Put out one feeder last week and putting one up in Calhoun Falls first thing in the morning I guess

One planted here, the rest are on stand by.. have been for a month.

Started no-tilling today.....
    Will fertilize later
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post

i havent sat in a deer stand since aug 16th
    Need one of these.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 10-03-2019 at 08:30 PM.

Got one in near my house this afternoon, already had been rough plowed a few weeks back, ran plow over it again and seeded and covered seed

Actually has misting rain before we finished , or at least that is what I THOUGHT it was LOL

Decided to plant tomorrow. Nice soaking rain right now. Dang me.

I planted two in berkeley county today. I am getting ready to have to work next few weekends so had to plant if i was going to. Cloud of dust. Hoping for rain monday.

Got our other one in ground yesterday, that area in Calhoun Falls actually had some rain on Saturday

Not looking promising any time soon for rain though

I ran the field cultivator and then the grain drill over a 1 acre plot and thought I was going to choke to death on the dust. As soon as I got back to camp, it drizzled. Not sure if it was enough to matter but maybe it will germinate.

Drilled a few more the weekend and got a good rain on them today
    80-20 Genaration

We aint got shit here in Lancaster county. I didn't plant mine as expected as they changed the forecast and it hasn't rained a bit.

Couple of days with a decent chance of rain next week, but fearful it will be another puff of smoke.

What's the latest you can plant wheat/oats - that's all I am trying to get in the ground. Seems like I have seen it planted well into November. And does seed go bad? I've got $500 worth of seed and fertilizer that I don't really care to put in the ground to watch it do nothing. May hold it to next year.

Calling for rain all next week here. If nothing changes I plan on getting seed in the dirt Sunday.