Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Food Plots

Default Food Plots

Are everyone's food plots in the midlands and upstate gone to shit at the moment with no rain?

I got my fields all plowed up and ready to plant and my seed has been riding around in the back of my truck for over a month now. Waiting for rain in the forecast before I spread it. Finally going to get planted this Sunday on the off chance of rain early next week. Seems we had a similar dry spell two years ago and the seed I put down became crow/dove/turkey food.

How are others looking or have you been waiting on rain and less heat as well?

Ours in Anderson Co. look fine. They are all right along a pretty good sized swamp tho. As far as our in McCormick go. I think we just pissed in the wind with those.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Still haven't planted. I have all but given up on planting fall plots before Oct 1. Prefer middle October once it starts to cool down (some)
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

I planted 6 plots (mix of peas and oats) this past weekend with a drill. Hope the goodness we get some rain first of next week. The 150 acres of beans on my farm are getting mowed down from the lack of rain and the deer pressure.

I'm waiting for some rain to plant my fall plots.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    I'm waiting for some rain to plant my fall plots.
    Same
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Planted labor day. Low lying plots are decent. High ground plots are garbage.

I picked up a bunch of oats to mix with some turnips today from whackem in hopes of planting Sunday before the rain.

Probably hold off until I see a better chance.

I don’t think they’d germinate with the current condition of the soil
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

I planted the Saturday after Labor Day. I’ll be replanting
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Mowed, sprayed , drilled about 10 days ago. Spread fertilizer this weekend before the rain first of the week. Didn’t plow so I wouldn’t lose the moisture. They look good but a rain will be great
    80-20 Genaration

I put mine in two weeks ago. It was the only free weekend I had. Waste of effort. Even the plots near the swamp that are usually moist haven't come up.

I planted all mine on Labor Day. Thank goodness crimson takes so long to germinate. We got some rain last week and it’s starting to pop. Rain next week should help.

Yep. Planted right before the hurricane thinking we would get some rain but nothing!
    Jeremy A.

Some of mine have done well, some haven’t even broke ground yet. They will be fine with some rain
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    I planted 6 plots (mix of peas and oats) this past weekend with a drill. Hope the goodness we get some rain first of next week. The 150 acres of beans on my farm are getting mowed down from the lack of rain and the deer pressure.
    You know how to stop that.

We planted our mix in the upstate the day before the hurricane was supposed to make landfall. We then watched the damn thing make a U-turn and we haven't had a drop of rain on it since. Went down to the land last weekend and the plots look exactly the same as the day we planted them. Are we screwed? Or will the seed lay dormant until it rains?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Fields are fertilized and harrowed in...Seed is in the warehouse and the drill hooked to the tractor...Ain't planting anything until AFTER it rains.

Quote Originally Posted by rrconductor View Post
    You know how to stop that.
    Ha. We laid into them pretty good last weekend. The neighbors on either side text wanting to know what in the world was going on. Told them we were having a doe killin’. They joined in and it sounded like a dove shoot for about 30 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    Some of mine have done well, some haven’t even broke ground yet. They will be fine with some rain
    I hope that is the case. I planted 10 days ago when I had the chance. I had to plow since I don't have a grain drill and lost alot of moisture. Where the plots are shaded and had soil moisture at planting they are up but where it's in full sun they haven't sprouted.

The million dollar question is how long will the seed be good sitting before it rains on them?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
    A larger caliber will help you with your deer kills. Try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I agree with timber22