Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No moose but...

Default No moose but...

Headed 60 miles into the bush in the pouring rain Sunday after our 400 mile Friday drive . Set up the camp and we all scatter and go scout around a bit. Do a little calling and get a response so looks like a spot for tomorrow.Monday was kinda humid ,so humid it was falling steady dam a 4:00 am thunder storm. Go out any way just to get everything washed off.5:30 our friendly 5 logging trucks roll into a cut about 1-1/2 miles from my set up and loading commences . Those jake brakes are loud in the silent . pristine , wilderness ain't they ? 9:30 the last truck thunders out and cutting starts. I'm ready for a beer and thankfully my ride shows up about 10:30 . 4 o'clock rolls around and since it's still raining we head back to stand . Do some calling and a bull grunts back that he's not interested in sex in this weather . He mentioned it several times fopm his dry swamp . Then the logging truck magically appear about 6:45 and the last one gets in at 8. Did I mention that the jake brakes are dam loud ? There's a theme here. Go to camp for beer and supper. About 10:30 I'm the last guy standing so I hit the sack. Head hits the pillow and Whack , Whack. Kinda like 2 baseball bats banging , behind the camp, Has a distinct cadence and occurs every 8 seconds or so for 10 minutes . Great rain and a sasquatch . Next morning dawns cool and raining no action except the roar of the jake brakes . Go out that evening and it cleared up for a bit .Do some calling and I got one on a string coming in thrashing and gruntin . Hangs up in the tree line and backs off . I hear a commotion and get ready as it's coming out 20 yards in front but I can't see him over the 3 foot scrub . Hmmm mini moose I'm thinkin when a wolf does the 4 footed jump 15 feet in front . Oh look he's brought 3 buddies . How cute .I shoo them of and go back to callin . Moose responds and moves in a bit so we talk until last shooting light . I sit down and catch movement out the corner of my eye and a wolf head pops up over the 2 foot birch trees 15 feet away . I shine him with my light and see the eyes of two of his pals behind him . Third one has snuck around behind me in the bushes and I strongly suggest that they leave before I get eaten and they do . I'da shot the closest one but I'm wearing a head lamp and can't see from the glare. Moose laughs and crashes on out of there. Ride fetches me back to camp. Never been stalked like that before and everyone else agrees it's abnormal. Next morning one of the other guys says he heard the stick banging that night. We still have rain BTW and did for the rest of the week . Did I mention jake brakes are loud ? Another guy was stalked by the wolves next night within 10 feet before he was aware . They chased off the young bull he saw that was coming to the call . Watching the stars one night one decides to take off and covered a thousand miles in 4 seconds (wasn't a shootin star ) . Great now we got Aliens. Was a great soggy week no moose killed but then no moose hunters killed either.
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

aliens, jake brakes, and wolves.

sounds like fun!
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Cool story.

jwilliams is online now 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

This sounds like one of my Mexican fishing trips Harv. One of our groups saw Monkeys in the trees on lake huites. There were also about 27 bud light cans in the bottom of the boat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Couple spaces wouldn’t kill ya.....f a wolf

Nice, my farmer buddy up there just sent me this one he shot.
    6967536A-2F4A-4ACE-8F23-2BF57BEA4B42.jpg

Did you save your receipt?
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Grizzly Adams?

im going on a moose hunt one day, you can bet your ass id have shot one of those wolves though whether it was legal or not
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I'm driving to Canada on Thursday for a moose hunt. Looking forward to the hunt, not the ride though.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    I'm driving to Canada on Thursday for a moose hunt. Looking forward to the hunt, not the ride though.
    Where abouts?

New Foundland.

Driving up and taking the ferry at North Sydney. Went a couple of years ago and didn't fill the tag, hopefully it pans out different this time.

No shortage of moose in Newfoundland. Ain't those Newfies a hoot?

Quote Originally Posted by HARV View Post
    No shortage of moose in Newfoundland. Ain't those Newfies a hoot?
    I hunted with a bunch of indians last time. I can hardly understand most of them, but what I could understand definitely made them characters.

We're a buncha Indians in Ontario. I could only imagine Newfie Indians.

Quote Originally Posted by jwterry3 View Post
    Couple spaces wouldn’t kill ya.....f a wolf
    I was 2

sentences away from

indents. Got a quota dontcha know.Didn't really want to shoot as the hunt was still on. I ain't no wolf hugger or nothing.

Havent seen a UFO in 15 years or more. Glad to hear theyre still around.

This is what cocaine sounds like:

Quote Originally Posted by HARV View Post
    Headed 60 miles into the bush in the pouring rain Sunday after our 400 mile Friday drive . Set up the camp and we all scatter and go scout around a bit. Do a little calling and get a response so looks like a spot for tomorrow.Monday was kinda humid ,so humid it was falling steady dam a 4:00 am thunder storm. Go out any way just to get everything washed off.5:30 our friendly 5 logging trucks roll into a cut about 1-1/2 miles from my set up and loading commences . Those jake brakes are loud in the silent . pristine , wilderness ain't they ? 9:30 the last truck thunders out and cutting starts. I'm ready for a beer and thankfully my ride shows up about 10:30 . 4 o'clock rolls around and since it's still raining we head back to stand . Do some calling and a bull grunts back that he's not interested in sex in this weather . He mentioned it several times fopm his dry swamp . Then the logging truck magically appear about 6:45 and the last one gets in at 8. Did I mention that the jake brakes are dam loud ? There's a theme here. Go to camp for beer and supper. About 10:30 I'm the last guy standing so I hit the sack. Head hits the pillow and Whack , Whack. Kinda like 2 baseball bats banging , behind the camp, Has a distinct cadence and occurs every 8 seconds or so for 10 minutes . Great rain and a sasquatch . Next morning dawns cool and raining no action except the roar of the jake brakes . Go out that evening and it cleared up for a bit .Do some calling and I got one on a string coming in thrashing and gruntin . Hangs up in the tree line and backs off . I hear a commotion and get ready as it's coming out 20 yards in front but I can't see him over the 3 foot scrub . Hmmm mini moose I'm thinkin when a wolf does the 4 footed jump 15 feet in front . Oh look he's brought 3 buddies . How cute .I shoo them of and go back to callin . Moose responds and moves in a bit so we talk until last shooting light . I sit down and catch movement out the corner of my eye and a wolf head pops up over the 2 foot birch trees 15 feet away . I shine him with my light and see the eyes of two of his pals behind him . Third one has snuck around behind me in the bushes and I strongly suggest that they leave before I get eaten and they do . I'da shot the closest one but I'm wearing a head lamp and can't see from the glare. Moose laughs and crashes on out of there. Ride fetches me back to camp. Never been stalked like that before and everyone else agrees it's abnormal. Next morning one of the other guys says he heard the stick banging that night. We still have rain BTW and did for the rest of the week . Did I mention jake brakes are loud ? Another guy was stalked by the wolves next night within 10 feet before he was aware . They chased off the young bull he saw that was coming to the call . Watching the stars one night one decides to take off and covered a thousand miles in 4 seconds (wasn't a shootin star ) . Great now we got Aliens. Was a great soggy week no moose killed but then no moose hunters killed either.

Aliens came back to pick up the big foot silly. Neither of like moose, wolves or injuns much.

No pics either.