Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kayak Fishing

Default Kayak Fishing

I have seen these guys over the years in the marsh when I have been trout fishing.
    Thought it looks stealth, peaceful and maybe a good exercise routine at the same time, so
    I looked into it and decided the foot pedal drive was the way I wanted to go so I could be hands free
    for fishing, etc.
    I recently bought a pair of Hobie Mirage Outbacks and they are the cat's ass, just sayin.
    From this afternoon, taken from the one my son was in.
    IMG_4900.jpeg
    IMG_4901.jpeg
    Last edited by ecu1984; 09-30-2019 at 06:12 PM.

I've been interested in these as well.

Go ahead and deck them out with electronics

Got a buddy that fishes all over in his kayak, same one you bought. Ended up a mile off shore with a spinner one day, landed it and thought it’d be a good idea to fish on the way in. Hooked a big blacktip and ended up two miles offshore, he didn’t fish on the way back after that one. Just had to do one of those weld jobs on the bottom because he’s used it do much he’d worn a thin spot in it.

Keep at it, should have plenty of Saturday’s coming soon.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

My brother went all out on one a couple years ago. Went to Santee for some kind bass tournament. Got halfway out in the lake and said screw this, I can do thing with creek boat and a trolling motor and not break a sweat. I think it all depends on what you want out the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckyTownsend View Post
    My brother went all out on one a couple years ago. Went to Santee for some kind bass tournament. Got halfway out in the lake and said screw this, I can do thing with creek boat and a trolling motor and not break a sweat. I think it all depends on what you want out the experience.
    I still have a badass boat, wanted these for a few creeks that run up in the woods.
    My main trout hole spot and I need exercise. Will still use the boat mostly but
    this is the most peaceful thing ever in these back salt creeks.

It’s hard to beat a good kayak trip! Y’all know I fish all over the country in mine. Just cashed a check at Guntersville last weekend for $1300 for a 3rd place finish in the Hobie Bass Open tourney there. Was in Grand Isle, Louisiana last month the the Ride the Bull tournament (672 kayaks showed up!!) and leaving next Tuesday for a week in Missouri and a week in Wisconsin fishing Kayak Bass Fishing (KBF) Tournaments. There’s a bunch of fun and money to be had for those willing to get into it.

If y’all ever have any questions just give me a shout.

B58D4633-4A55-4177-83CB-EC03AEFDD3A7.jpg

AB8096CC-8F9B-4ACB-97D8-8B8E58A2A14B.jpg

92F1A43F-C119-4FE1-99FF-3B8FB0A3EDF6.jpg
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

I keep threatening to try to hook up with a bull red in a pirogue and let it drag me all over the marsh....forget that open ocean stuff tho!

That Ride the Bull tourney looked absolutely insane Matt! Almost 700 kayaks is crazy!
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Ring King View Post
    It’s hard to beat a good kayak trip! Y’all know I fish all over the country in mine. Just cashed a check at Guntersville last weekend for $1300 for a 3rd place finish in the Hobie Bass Open tourney there. Was in Grand Isle, Louisiana last month the the Ride the Bull tournament (672 kayaks showed up!!) and leaving next Tuesday for a week in Missouri and a week in Wisconsin fishing Kayak Bass Fishing (KBF) Tournaments. There’s a bunch of fun and money to be had for those willing to get into it.

If y’all ever have any questions just give me a shout.

B58D4633-4A55-4177-83CB-EC03AEFDD3A7.jpg

AB8096CC-8F9B-4ACB-97D8-8B8E58A2A14B.jpg

92F1A43F-C119-4FE1-99FF-3B8FB0A3EDF6.jpg
    Sweet!

I still think the Diablo Adios is the best sportsman kayak. Maybe not best at long travel fishing but damn that thing was fun. Spend many of days in the canals of south Florida catching peacock bass, Florida bay fly-fishing for redfish and snook, Everglades/Okeechobee duck hunting, and even caught a few small tuna and Dolphins and king Mackerel a mile offshore in it. I still regret selling it as they are hard to come by
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

I lost a few hundred dollar first place finish in a local tournament because I didn't read the rules, and they decided a pirogue wasn't the same as a kayak. I bought a Nucanoe off here and have caught a lot of fish out of it since. The point of kayak fishing in my mind is to go minimalist and get to places you can't in a jon boat. These kayak fishing nerds have easily $5000 in their rigs that they use to fish open water that a 1232 Alumacraft would be a better fit. Most of them think all the gear and accessories makes them pros.

You wouldn’t be caught dead in a 1232 Jon boat in many places that I’ve safely fished from my kayak!

That being said, I’ve heard the same comment from others about your minimalist approach opinion. I bet your fishing with with a technologically advanced line (monofilament, florocarbon, braid) that you’re casting from a technologically advanced reel (spinning, spincast, baitcaster) and from a vessel that you didn’t hand carve out of a log.

The point is that your level of minimalist may not match the next guys but that doesn’t mean that either of you are wrong. Fish with whatever makes you happy and don’t worry about the next guy.

If you choose to fish organized tournaments then use whatever you want that fits within the rules. We have guys paddling simple big box store kayaks with low budget paddles and no electronics in many of the events that I fish. Sometimes those guys win and sometimes they don’t. There’s no doubt that skill vs toys/accessories plays a big part in catching fish. In my opinion you’re wasting your time going the minimalist route in large tournament series though as beating the banks wins less and less tournaments with all of the advancements that we’ve seen over the years when it comes to electronic fish finders, chartplotters, depth finders, etc.

But then again that’s just my opinion and we all know what they say about opinions!
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Yeah, but you're into it big time, and it's lucrative for you. A Hobie is far from necessary when most people fishing local tournaments are never more than 3/4 mile from the landing. I was just making fun of the tricked out nerds that get outfished by me and others in comparably cheap setups. I have no interest or time in fishing the big trails that I see you and others on, but that's probably at least in part due to the fact that I'd get smoked by the serious fisherman. I enjoy following, but competing at that high of a level takes the fun out of it for me.

I understand. I actually fished my first kayak tournament back in 2009 out of one of my Ron Chapman pirogues. Got a lot of weird looks from the other competitors but I still had fun. I had the 2cd largest redfish and the 5th largest inshore slam (redfish, trout, and flounder) out of 419 anglers. Won me a few cool prizes. I had no electronics and only carried three rods with me. Didn't even fish bait even though it was allowed. I fish artificial lures only. There are still some minimalist tournaments out there but they are definitely not the norm. There's one out in California that a friend hosts each year. It's offshore fishing for rockfish and lingcod. No electronics, no motors, no pedals, only 1 rod, and they supply the three lures that you're allowed to use the morning of the event. If you break off all three on the reefs then you're done. It's a great event and attracts quite a few folks out there. It's called the "Simply Fishing" Tournament.

That's awesome Ring King! I have setup multiple fishing kayaks that were easily worth more than $10,000. It is just like any other sport or hobby. It's totally up to personal interpretation/wallet.

That would be a marsh hen killing machine....

ring king the duck hunter > ring king the kayak angler
    \"Go to Know\"

I just bought another one today (Hobie Mirage Outback Fisherman, Hank Parker edition)
    so more guest can go with us.
    Going to build a trailer for them this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by FBT View Post
    ring king the duck hunter > ring king the kayak angler
    How about if Ring King the Kayak Angler kills ducks from his kayak?

E897A528-1DAE-4445-9565-2F6C5200AAF6.jpeg

AE58D5F1-2839-4DC6-A08C-77EC79A0FFC8.jpg

FC0852E1-B967-46FB-9560-115ABCFEA8D9.jpeg

Sounds like a nice little fleet you have going! I wish my wife hadn’t sold her last Outback. I had it all kinds of tricked out with the rails from a Pro Angler, rod holders, LED lights, etc. I’m actually looking at picking up a new 2020 Hobie Outback with the kick up fins.