Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .243 ammo for youth deer hunting

Default .243 ammo for youth deer hunting

My son was gifted a Tikka T3 in .243. He killed a doe with it when he was 7 and I posted the video here 2 years ago. Now he's wanting to go after his first buck and I'm looking for some ammo recommendations. We used the Hornady Custom Lite reduced recoil rounds with the 87 grain SST. I'm a little worried that if one our bigger 180+ pound bucks steps out he may be a little under gunned with that load. I picked up a box of 100 grain Coreloks and the 3 shot group went from 1/2" MOA with the reduced recoil rounds to almost a 5" group at 100 yards! I did some reading and saw where the 1 in 10" twist had a harder time stabilizing the heavier bullets in .243. Any suggestion on where to start to find a heavier load that's more accurate? Most of his shots will be 150 yards or less, and mostly on narrow lanes through pines. Having a nice blood trail would be great so I would lean more towards a higher penetrating bullet versus one that dumps all the energy on impact. I know the solution is shoot loads of different rounds but the selection is vast and I'm looking for a starting point.

Here is a repost of the video showing the rifle and the effects of the reduced recoil round:

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Your twist rate might be the issue with the heavier bullets.

Back down to a <=95gr projectile and get after it.

I shoot the SSTs out of my .243. Extremely accurate with handloads.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

I see now that you've already figured out the twist rate is likely your problem.

My bad.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Barnes TTSX
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

80gr TTSX over h4350. My tikka loved them. Guarantee 2 holes
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Winchester deer season xp , cheap accurate and deadly .

My Model 7 really likes Federal premium 100 gr Sierra Gameking BTSP. It shoots well and has done exactly what we wanted them to on Deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tailwalkin79; 09-30-2019 at 05:16 PM.

Just bought some Federal loaded trophy copper 85 grain from Cabelas. Have not shot it yet but if anything like the Barnes they will be nasty with a little more kick than a 22 mag. Was going to buy the Barnes but most places are out and I need to buy some powder to reload some.

All recommended loads so far will certainly do the trick and great recommendations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by davisd9; 09-30-2019 at 05:18 PM.
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

You have been given the gold in the advise of the TTSX, question is, have you caught your breath yet from that video
    Genesis 9;2

I killed an ass of deer with a 90grn NBT over 45grn of H4831sc. That load didn’t group well in my 700 so I loaded a 95grn Berger Classic Hunter over 45.5grn of RL22 I believe, haven’t shot a deer with it but a coyote and a few pigs seemed to really hate it. I tried 100grn VLD’s in that 9.5” twist and they were like a shotgun pattern. Berger told me I needed 8” to truly stabilize their 100grn plus bullets.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Put that 80 ttsx in high shoulder and u dont have to worry about a blood trail. They drop
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Whatever dirtnaps kids shoot is what you want, I’m sure he will chime in shortly. Think it’s the American whitetail factory loads, really nice blood trails when they have to be trailed.

I have a .243 with the same twist that my nephews and some ladies have used to shoot deer in the past. The 80 gr. TTSX bullets shoot great and are deadly with perfect shot placement but I had more than one time where a kid made a less than perfect shot and made for a long tracking job. You will always get 2 holes with the TTSX but if a shoulder isn't hit, it came make for a long blood trail. I had one nephew that was deadly with a rifle at the range but could not over come severe buck fever so I switched over to HSM 87 gr Berger Hunting VLD and was blown away at the performance on game with less than perfect shots. The same nephew killed several nice bucks with less than perfect shots with those 87 gr Berger's and none of them made it over 50 yards. I also had an out of state friend borrow the rifle after a neck surgery and kill 3 really nice 200+ pound deer with none of them going over 25 yards. Luckily my nephew has gotten a lot better at his shot placement on deer over the years but still shoots Berger Hunting VLD's out of his 7mm08.
    Last edited by SCtrkyhntr1; 09-30-2019 at 06:30 PM.

That video is PRICELESS! Great job, Dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    You have been given the gold in the advise of the TTSX, question is, have you caught your breath yet from that video
    LOL! It's amazing how seeing your child get their first deer shakes you up worse than any you've ever shot for yourself!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

i would do the barnes solid copper

I have the same gun. Mine likes the 80 ttsx, 95 ballistic tip, and 90 grain accubonds. They will all get it done. It also shoots the 100 grain sierra pro-hunter well, but that's a flat base bullet so not too long.

The 1-10 really had trouble with the longer VLDs and Amaxes.

My Browning Abolt Micro loves the 95gr NBT & 100gr Sierra GameKing and the deer hate them.
    I load both with IMR4350.
    The Sierras shoot awesome, under a minute consistently. Now the Noslers you wouldn't believe me if I posted the three groups Im getting out of that pencil 20" barrel but it prints them in the .3's. Only mod to the gun is a 3# trigger spring from Midway. I bought it used off Gunbroker… It shot 100gr factory Core-Lokts like you described 5"+ groups, I was bummed and figured this is why they sold it first time I shot it to get some brass to handload... But first trip to the range with handloads.. yes!! - it just hates Core-Lokts! One of the most accurate and best carrying guns in my safe, great in a deer stand with the youth stock and short barrel. Shoot them right behind the shoulder and it kills them like a big boy gun - not an animal on the planet can live with both lungs jello'd nor run very far holding their breath.
    Last edited by walt4dun; 09-30-2019 at 07:56 PM.

I've shot the 100 grn power points in my Tikka and it shoots them just fine. Killed an 8 or with it last year and he dropped in his tracks. Will pretty much bullseye every time at 100 yrds.

Winchester deer season xp 95 gr.
    Hancock 70 Yamaha