Thread: A freshwater hunt

Default A freshwater hunt

It’s been a few years since I spent a morning poling across a spartina flat in hopes of flushing a marsh hen.
    It’s sort of a cyclical thing. Some years I do it several times, and some years not at all.

This hunt was different. I had mentioned to Rubberhead that I had never hunted the little rails he occasionally posts a thread about, so he called when the time was right and this morning was a damn good time.
    Slow and methodical, grass patch to grass patch.
    They fly more than clapper rails, and were very prevalent in this little secluded, secret marsh. I’ve breasted them out, and there’s not much more than a snipe in terms of meat, but I’ll marinate them and see how it goes.

Thanks RH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

You're more than welcome . It was a lot of fun.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Cool stuff

Very cool hunt. Love those rail. I look forward to my annual rail/ Moorhen hunt more than anything.

Good stuff.

Very cool, looks like a fun hunt.

Where is the Like button?

Wouldn't surprise me if repeating shotguns were not allowed in his boat. Unless it was a A5.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I can dig it.

very nice
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Wouldn't surprise me if repeating shotguns were not allowed in his boat. Unless it was a A5.
    So true but it's kind'a like when in-laws come over for the holidays and break a house rule...you have to decide whether to start a dust-up or just smile pretend it doesn't bother you because it'll be over soon enough and you don't have to invite them back next year...

At least it was a 20 gauge...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Style points for the sub gauge,.

I know the feeling. I battle with the inclination to ask my FIL to take his hat off at the table when they're over for a meal. When my son has one on and we sit down, I instruct him to kindly remove it, then my FIL usually follows suit.

I digress... far as the hunt goes, isn't it a rather brief hunt since the tide is only in high enough to pole thru the grass flats for an hour or so?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

My pup actually pointed a virginia rail two weeks ago in a boggy field. I have seen Sora in there too. She hasn't pointed any since that day though.

I mostly have chased clappers but enjoy seeing these different birds too.