Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bullet exit on deer

Why not shoot them in front of shoulder at base of neck?
    Always a exit and have yet to have one take more than 3 steps. And no meat loss.

I am a fan of partition in 270 with 130 grain as well.
    My 308 does really well with core lockt 150gr
    243 I shoot 100 gr power point or 100 gr fed

I'll of these have performed perfect meaning no tracking drt with shoot placement from above.

The only bullet that didn't exit but buck was drt was one I shot facing me which I didn't expect an exit and didn't need one.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
    I've had Ballistic Tips blow up. Not a fan.
    If you knew that they “blew up”, that means that you found the deer to confirm, and the bullet probably did it’s job. 🤔. I have had a few come apart also....usually after smashing shoulders and spine but they did their job......pretty much like any cup and core non bonded bullet. To be honest, as I was accumulating my data over the years, I was surprised I was getting as good of performance as I saw. FWIW, it took me over 20 years to collect the data. I used a good many other bullets on other deer but only kept up with the Ballistic Tips.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

I kept a log for a long time.. big fan of Nosler bullets.

Ballistic tips that I recovered from deer were always well mushroomed and weight retention was usually 30-35% of start weight. Lots of bang flops. I shot the 165 grain BTs in my .308s on many deer.

Accubonds provide similar results , with a few recoveries. Always great performance from those . Superb bullets. Partitions generally caused incredible internal damage and almost always exited. The few partitions found had expanded all the way to the shank and the front of the bullets shrapneled as designed.

Corelokts generally expanded and held together with good terminal performance. Plain vanilla bullets that always worked.

Shot some 150 grain Hornady SST Superperformance from my 7 RM for a couple seasons. They killed pretty well with short tracking jobs. Most of the ones I recovered were the jacket only with the core either disinegrating or exiting.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

They make bullets other than Accubonds? Huh, learn something new every day......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Some of us old farts were killing deers before the Accubond was available.. hahahahaha!!
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

There's usually 2 reasons why someone doesn't recover a deer shot by a rifle. 1) Poor marksmanship 2) Poor tracking abilities

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    There's usually 2 reasons why someone doesn't recover a deer shot by a rifle. 1) Poor marksmanship 2) Poor tracking abilities
    And I’ll add to that, taking questionable shots and not understanding deer anatomy and how that anatomy shifts relative to body position.

40 years+ of success and now I can't shoot or track-yep- that's the reason I started this thread- not poor bullet performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    poor bullet performance.
    Pay for better bullets, or a 45-70. Both will solve your problem.

Most cheap bullets are very frangible and more likely to fail if full penetration is what you want.

And yes, your Winchester white/silver box 165gr 30-06 bullet is different than it was 40 years ago.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

I switched to Federal Premium 165 grain Sierra pro hunters-same result. I guess deer are tougher today and need a Nosler partition that was intended for Elk. That's what they will be getting soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    40 years+ of success and now I can't shoot or track-yep- that's the reason I started this thread- not poor bullet performance.
    40+ years, eh? Might be time for glasses.

Sierra pro hunter is still an old fashioned thin cup and core bullet. Just like a plain jane winchester soft point, but of better quality and tighter variances. It may cost more but is still not a bit tougher than the winchester soft point.
    Less than hundred yards, aka still at high velocity, they have a much higher chance of coming apart after impact. Heck, some ballistic tips have thickened jackets now.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Shoot these and you will have an exit every time
    https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/r...ternational#!/
    "If its better than cold beer and hot pussy it'll probably kill us all" ~ Rebel Son

The Sierras are doing exactly what they were designed to do. Penetrate, expand, and deliver their energy to the target. Not sure why the amount of penetration you're getting has changed. I asked my buddy at Sierra, and he said nothing has changed since they introduced that bullet. Same core, same tapered jacket. That's one of the best shooting bullets out of my 30-06 and 308. The Game Changer is a harder bullet, thicker jacket than the Game King, as is the 165 Jacketed Hollow Point. You might want to try those.

Time to dig out the 338 RUM.
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

Something else to consider about what happens when a deer is shot - (excluding Spine/ high shoulder or Brain impact) a Deer has one of the fastest adrenal gland reactions of all game animals ( according to Dr. Larry Marchinton) and will dump adrenaline into it's bloodstream. This can create the "running dead" phenomenon. Deer can cover ground quickly even when mortally wounded.

Shot placement is of course always #1.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

The Sierra GameKing hollow points are really under-rated.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen