Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bullet exit on deer

Default Bullet exit on deer

I have always felt like a good exit increases the chances of recovering a deer- I'm having a problem getting exit on 200 yd + shots. The last 6 deer I shot around 200 yds, I only got 1 exit.
    30-06 150 grain Winchester power point- twice- one high shoulder, one broadside lungs
    30-06 165 grain Federal premium sierra game king - once- broadside lungs
    243- 100 grain - twice broadside lungs

Only exit out of the last 6 shots was a 165 grain 30-06- broadside lungs

Shot a 160 lb buck this morning off the front porch. 190 yards broadside heart/lung- big mule kick, ran like hell, no exit and almost zero blood trail Federal premium 30-06 165 grain sierra game king.

I have shot a 30-06 for most of my life shooting 150 grain bullets and I always limited myself to 250 yards and always got an exit- WTH is going on?

Aim lower. The heart pumps a lot of blood.

Corlokt

Smoke reds and shoot corelokts...only way to go bo.
    Last edited by Coot_Commander; 09-28-2019 at 05:28 PM.

My first buck was 185 pounds and is the only deer I’ve killed with a 30-06. It was at 50 yards with Winchester ballistic silvertips. Broadside shot, found the bullet just under his hide, properly expanded.

First you say, "I'm having a problem getting exit on 200 yd + shots. "

Then, "I always limited myself to 250 yards and always got an exit- WTH is going on"

Those statements contradict each other.
    That aside.
    Your 30-06 at 200yards is traveling at almost the same velocity as a 30-30win at the muzzle.

So take that info a little further and realize it is hitting them at 30-30 speeds I am assuming another 50 to 100 yards on. Probably around 2000fps.

Looking at it with those numbers, you then have to look at bullet construction and what the bullet hit rib wise etc... You may not get an exit but, you still get a dead deer.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by mello_collins View Post
    First you say, "I'm having a problem getting exit on 200 yd + shots. "

Then, "I always limited myself to 250 yards and always got an exit- WTH is going on"

Those statements contradict each other.
    That aside.
    Your 30-06 at 200yards is traveling at almost the same velocity as a 30-30win at the muzzle.

So take that info a little further and realize it is hitting them at 30-30 speeds I am assuming another 50 to 100 yards on. Probably around 2000fps.

Looking at it with those numbers, you then have to look at bullet construction and what the bullet hit rib wise etc... You may not get an exit but, you still get a dead deer.
    Not a contradiction- for decades I've gotten an exit and a blood trail- now I'm not and can't figure out why. A 30-06 should exit at 200 yds with a broadside lung shot.

Switch to Barne's Bullets. They don't expand as much and will punch through...........When your bullet stays in the deer. The deer gets the complete energy dump from the bullet. Not wasted in the dirt on the other side. Can't have it both ways.

Not contribution, but I’ve witnessed the same (30-06 / FP165) several times at similar ranges. It was someone I once hunted with and always chocked it up to poor shot placement when the blood trail was thin and deer not recovered.
    “Get out among the mountains and trees, friend, as soon as you can. They will do more for you than either man or woman could.” Theodore Roosevelt to John Muir after his wife's passing in 1905.

Berger VLD

Federal Fusion. You won't have a blood trail though... It will be more like a blood river, blood bath, etc...
    Psalm 23

Accubond. End of story.

Barnes.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Barnes 180 grain

Nosler Partition.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    Not a contradiction- for decades I've gotten an exit and a blood trail- now I'm not and can't figure out why. A 30-06 should exit at 200 yds with a broadside lung shot.
    Maybe they were inhaling.

Where are you finding the bullets?

just under the skin on the other side

I don't reload anymore, the rifle doesn't like fusions, guess I need to try the Hornady rounds.

Barnes, partition,accubond will put 2 holes in em. Barnes is my favorite if they will shoot in your rifle. I shoot 130 ttsx’s in my 06
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

A friend came to hunt yesterday evening- shot a 110 lb doe broadside lung shot at 60 yards with a 7 mag 150 grn Winchester soft point. No blood trail, had to get the dog out. Ran 80 yards into a nasty thicket and died. No exit.

Crazy- that bullet should exit every time. Good thing we had a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Scruggz View Post
    Federal Fusion. You won't have a blood trail though... It will be more like a blood river, blood bath, etc...
    X2.

I have had the best results with Fusion bullets than anything else in .243, 25-06, 7mm-08, .308 and .300 WSM.
    Usually a bloodbath.,
    Last edited by JJ1965; 10-19-2019 at 07:26 AM.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.