Thread: Sesbania?

Default Sesbania?

I've got a couple acres of Japanese Millet planted in a duck impoundment and I've noticed some Sesbania coming up with it. Is there anything I can spray to kill the sesbania and not the millet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

2,4-D or any broadleaf specific will kill sesbania but not grass. But it will also kill smartweed so make sure you've got a good handle on your actual composition.

But this late in the season, you'll probably be fine with just letting it be. Sesbania is really only a problem when it out-competes the good stuff. If you're just now noticing it, it most likely won't have time to get much taller than the millet and certainly won't stop the millet from producing seed heads. I also doubt it will have time to make a mature seed so you don't have to worry about adding to your seed bank.

Some people value the cover sesbania provides waterfowl, as long as it's not a monoculture...

A different possible approach - We've been able to raise a bush-hog or mower above the millet and whack the sesbania back when we didn't want to put chemical out for various reasons.

I am no expert but I believe you will have to tend to this after the season with burning.
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Tekton Game Calls

843-290-9569

2-4d will kill sesbania and not hurt your millet.
    U serious Clark?

Quote Originally Posted by baldpate View Post
    2-4d will kill sesbania and not hurt your millet.
    This
    Go Tigers!!!

Prayers sent. If it goes to head (or has gone to head), you're fruked. Burn it down and pull it up by the roots.
    Carolina Counsel

Get it before it seeds, which this late in the year it probably already has. Total plant removal is the best way if the seed heads are still green.

If its not too bad, pull by hand.....otherwise use 24D.

It's like Sicklepod, the seeds will last for 25 plus years in the ground waiting for the right conditions.

Atrazine woks for preemergent before planting, but its effect wears off and the Sesbania and Sicklepod starts to germinate later in season.

And burning a field actually helps the seeds germinate..
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 09-27-2019 at 11:40 AM.