Thread: Barrel for Belgian Browning A5

Default Barrel for Belgian Browning A5

My girlfriend's father passed away earlier this week and he had some guns I picked to secure in my safe. He had a Belgian Browning A5 in great condition. The only problem is the barrel has a bulge in it.

I want to give the gun to his grandson but don't want him to have to worry about the bulged barrel. Is there a source for replacement barrels? Do they require any special fitting?
    Last edited by Gander; 09-27-2019 at 09:23 AM.

I don’t have an answer for your question but that seems like a pretty nice Thing you’re doing for his grandson
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

They all fit each other. Just find one on eBay or somewhere. Get him a 30 full if you want him to be a killer.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 09-27-2019 at 09:25 AM.

midwest gun works, gunbroker, ebay. Japanese invector barrels will fit Belgium guns also. Make sure you get a "light" for a 2 3/4" or a "magnum" for a 3" gun. No special fitting required.

I know you are quite fond of very long barrels but is the bulge close enough to the muzzle that you could have the barrel cut and threaded for chokes?

It's about 4 inches from the muzzle so it would be very short if I went that route. I think it has a 26 inch barrel.

And I'm fairly certain it's only 2 3/4 shells so I will need to find a "light" one to match what it has. Good to know the Japanese barrels will fit as it would be nice to have chokes for it.

If I get some time I will post some pictures.

Check barrelexchange.com and https://www.corsonsbarrels.com
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Check out Guns International. Also Art's Gun Shop. The Jap barrels with Invector carry a premium. No fitting required.

Put a jap barrel on my 68’ model mag 12

Fit like a glove And shoots fine
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Any competent gunsmith can insert a plug in the barrel and roll/tap the bulge out. If it is a minor bulge shoot it and don't worry about it.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

The Jap barrels are made of stronger steel but they are a good bit heavier. Check with Arts Gun Shop. They often have barrels. Art worked in the Browning Factory and has a wealth of knowledge. Check out his videos.
    Last edited by CWPINST; 09-28-2019 at 11:16 PM.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Thanks guys. I had a gunsmith look it over and said its fine to shoot, although it does hurt the value. He said getting a new barrel would hurt the value more than the bulge. And he said it could be fixed as described above but said it would need to be reblued afterwards. I'm gonna talk it over with his grandson to see how he wants to proceed.

IMO, there is no "value" in the gun other than the opportunity to shoot it.

I like your idea about talking to the son, but I wouldnt hesitate to decrease the value by getting another barrel.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I have a Browning A5 with a bulge in the barrel. It was my every day duck gun until a few years ago. It shot fine.

Call Art. He will give you good advice and nobody knows an Auto-5 like him. Super nice guy.