Thread: Good to see

Default Good to see

Some time around the end of July, I spotted a pair in the top of a tree in the back impoundment.
    A few weeks later there were 4, then about 20 finally started using the smartweed bottom I flooded for teal season.
    It’s funny. I’ve been trying to find a way to successfully trap and and release them on SNWR, and possibly some suitable private land that owners have agreed to not shoot them.

This morning after a mediocre teal hunt, as I’m riding back down the dike, I spot this gal in the ditch with the first known clutch in Clarendon County that I know of.

And the few teal that I could get to decoy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Very cool and nice to see the teal still exist as well.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

That girl is prolific...

I watched a pair this morning but haven't seen any hatchlings yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Very cool

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    That girl is prolific...
    and doing a good job keeping them away from the predators

That’s cool to see!

I'm counting 18 or 19 ducklings, is that a little larger than normal? If so, does that indicate that it may be two different broods?

Very cool
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

I can't believe you hunt private land now

They got some serious spots.

Quote Originally Posted by murraywader View Post
    I can't believe you hunt private land now
    You aren’t the first one to ridicule me.

That said, I have hunted private all my life, but the last 3 years I have found more satisfaction toying with moist soil, than I could ever imagine.
    Planting corn is easy, learning how to trick land into a semi-annual wetland is quite another.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Hunter View Post
    I'm counting 18 or 19 ducklings, is that a little larger than normal? If so, does that indicate that it may be two different broods?
    We’ve got 4-5 flicks and they all have 10-20 chicks

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

I’m really happy to see them expanding their range.

Those of you that know me on a personal basis know that I am all duck.
    I’m a paradox. A support and critic of waterfowl orgs, DNR, conservationists, and hunters.

I work hand-in-hand with DNR, but judge them at the same time.

Nearly a decade ago, I asked the head of coastal CAT1 WMAs about trapping and relocating tree ducks from OOS to SNWR.

I was met with “they’ll expand without our help on their own.”

It was dis-heartening. I expected a different answer.

I was hoping for the same go-getter attitude of those that introduced the mottled duck to SC.

It was not there.

It may be up to private landowners to take the reigns and help the whistling duck expand.

I am doing what I can to ensure their survival and proliferation on the Santee Cooper lakes, I ask of those that hunt here, to please not shoot them.

They are not wary, they pair bond for life, and it would be simple to whack an entire family group in one sitting.

If we give them a chance, and allow them the time to imprint and breed, we very well may have a huntable population up here.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Hunter View Post

Same brood - they have serious broods, and I’m not sure why.

Finally some teal! I'm glad someone on scducks still duck hunts! My teal season has been unsuccessful.

Unfortunately they will get their ass shot off by the what is that trigger pullers.

Had a pair circle and land in a ditch on the course a few weeks ago in Savannah , while we were shooting skeet at a large skeet range. Not real bright.... they need to get smarter if they want to stick around. See them pretty regularly in the ace basin being dumb walking around on the shoulder of highway. I have never killed one.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post

Nearly a decade ago, I asked the head of coastal CAT1 WMAs about trapping and relocating tree ducks from OOS to SNWR.

I was met with “they’ll expand without our help on their own.”
    I was literally just talking to someone about this before I saw this post. Thinking about bringing some from Dade county to the midlands of SC.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    I was literally just talking to someone about this before I saw this post. Thinking about bringing some from Dade county to the midlands of SC.

They real populations are north of Dade up to north east okeechobee
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau