Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Testing new loads

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by rrconductor View Post
    I do, I have Varget , H4831 SSC , don't know about H4895 , I would have to look. I am asking about the Scenar as a hunting bullet or should I use the Naturales. The Scenar is a monolithic HP like a Berger or a Barnes.
    Just wondering why that particular selection of bullets? The scenar is a thin wall target bullet.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

RR send me that you mentioned as well 4831SSC as well .

The Scenar, though no favorite of mine, is not only an excellent paper puncher but is taking down elk, black bear and mulies out west in numbers , if I recall correct the SNR jacket thickness is slightly greater than the standard vld, but don't mark me on that.

In all honestly, since we are talking pecks, I am done with any and all light walled pecks on game, just to daggum uncertain as to how they will react at different yardages which = velocities and I am not stalking up on every one to the same distance nor paying for the game to walk out at the same range every time.

I am no fan of a BT either, unless its the 95grnr in a 243= skrong like bull, but the rest are nothing but a chunky, tip tossing low bc SMK in my opine, which ain't much.

The solution = I have since moved back to all copper monos and have settled strongly and with prejudice on the LRX offerings. 1/4 moa easily found, seating depth easily found, hit like a mofofreaking diesel hammer and they drive the anti hunters crazy , win win.
    Last edited by Strick9; 09-25-2019 at 05:29 PM.
    Genesis 9;2

I shot some 130 TTSXs out of a .270 mountain rifle Sunday. I put a VX5 with the CDSZL elevation dial, zeroed it then walked it out to 500. I believe that is what will head west next weekend.

I was wrong the Scenar is cup and core thin skin, I might try the Naturlis, it's solid copper. I won't shoot BT 's anymore ,I might shoot the NAB or NP. I have shot NBT's since they came out in '83 or '84 killed a lot of deer with them but they changed the formula and my DRT's dropped, especially on hogs.
    I might try some LRX's in my .308 some Barnes, just looking for something different but still more accurate than my 67 year old eyes will shoot.

I got to send that stuff to you David I just keep forgetting.Try and get it out tomorrow.

165 Partition is a really good 308 bullet. They’re not match accurate, and don’t need to be, but they’ve always performed well. Good balance of expansion and penetration.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    I shot some 130 TTSXs out of a .270 mountain rifle Sunday. I put a VX5 with the CDSZL elevation dial, zeroed it then walked it out to 500. I believe that is what will head west next weekend.
    How do you like the vx5? I'm thinking of a .300 wsm to carry out west next year and the vx5 should be perfect for what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by rrconductor View Post
    I was wrong the Scenar is cup and core thin skin, I might try the Naturlis, it's solid copper. I won't shoot BT 's anymore ,I might shoot the NAB or NP. I have shot NBT's since they came out in '83 or '84 killed a lot of deer with them but they changed the formula and my DRT's dropped, especially on hogs.
    I might try some LRX's in my .308 some Barnes, just looking for something different but still more accurate than my 67 year old eyes will shoot.

I got to send that stuff to you David I just keep forgetting.Try and get it out tomorrow.
    No worries Claudius Maximus! I would run with the TTSXs if you are confined to mag box length honestly, they tune really easy. I just wanted the better BC and have an extended box, the LRX run a little long comparatively speaking.
    Genesis 9;2

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    How do you like the vx5? I'm thinking of a .300 wsm to carry out west next year and the vx5 should be perfect for what I want.
    I like it a lot. Good glass, light weight, tracts true. A big improvement over the VX3 line.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I used to like corelokts too until one out of 10 wouldn't go off. Fonk dat.
    Dang. Had one not go off once.