Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Testing new loads

Default Testing new loads

C790BBD3-AA78-4C75-A9A7-DD26EB3CA647.jpg
    Got to play around some today with some Nosler Accubonds, BT, Partitions and also some Barnes bullets. Shot the 6.5cm and .308

I picked some Cope out of my teeth with a 230 grn .710 G1 projectile today, but I am not posting pictures of it either I do dig a Boyds Thole but I grind and chop em up pretty good first.
    Genesis 9;2

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by morningwoody843 View Post
    C790BBD3-AA78-4C75-A9A7-DD26EB3CA647.jpg
    Got to play around some today with some Nosler Accubonds, BT, Partitions and also some Barnes bullets. Shot the 6.5cm and .308
    Did you find any loads worth revisiting?
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

The Accubond out of the 6.5 has always produced very tight groups at 100yds. Its basically driving through the same holes with the rl15 and when I get home I'll pull out the book and check and see what weight of powder I'm using. The .308 with the NBT didn't hit on much.... 1/2" groups at 100yds and friend of mine was shooting the Barnes 165gr and hes not the best shot so that's not reliable either.

I like Accubonds.

Berger

Scenar ain't a bad box to try either. Waddup Dicky.
    Genesis 9;2

Glad you brought up Scenar's , I am trying to locate a load for my new to me Steyr in .308. In my old 700 I shot a 165 Nosler BT over a load of WW748. I dropped 22 out of 23 DRT over a 2 yr period with that load on high shoulder shot.
    After looking over on 24 hr CF I am wondering about the Scenar, or the Naturalis, I had plans to shoot the 165 NP , but if you have any info about the Lapua bullets I would like to read it.
    I know guides out west no longer allow NBT's or most don't, so I am looking at the Lapua in view of the fact I have a 100 once fired Lapua brass.

David ,I have not sent you what I have, will do , I have been busy tearing out a bathroom, washing the out side of the house, Dove hunting in Greeleyville, and back. Will get it out this week.

I found a pretty good hot load for my .270. They are called core lokts. They are 130 grains. I'll try to get a picture up.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtnap View Post
    I found a pretty good hot load for my .270. They are called core lokts. They are 130 grains. I'll try to get a picture up.
    Boom.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by rrconductor View Post
    Glad you brought up Scenar's , I am trying to locate a load for my new to me Steyr in .308. In my old 700 I shot a 165 Nosler BT over a load of WW748. I dropped 22 out of 23 DRT over a 2 yr period with that load on high shoulder shot.
    After looking over on 24 hr CF I am wondering about the Scenar, or the Naturalis, I had plans to shoot the 165 NP , but if you have any info about the Lapua bullets I would like to read it.
    I know guides out west no longer allow NBT's or most don't, so I am looking at the Lapua in view of the fact I have a 100
    once fired Lapua brass.

David ,I have not sent you what I have, will do , I have been busy tearing out a bathroom, washing the out side of the
    house, Dove hunting in Greeleyville, and back. Will get it out this week.
    Do you have any Varget or H4895?
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

I do, I have Varget , H4831 SSC , don't know about H4895 , I would have to look. I am asking about the Scenar as a hunting bullet or should I use the Naturales. The Scenar is a monolithic HP like a Berger or a Barnes.

When y'all are shooting a lot of rounds like this do you let your barrel cool between shots, or just put the hammer down?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Neither the Scenars nor Bergers are mono bullets. Both are lightly constructed cup and core bullets. Shot both and prefer Berger Hybrids. Easier to tune in my rifles than the VLDs Kill deer and antelope fine. I personally wouldn’t use them on anything bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by rrconductor View Post
    I know guides out west no longer allow NBT's or most don't, so I am looking at the Lapua in view of the fact I have a 100 once fired Lapua brass.

David ,I have not sent you what I have, will do , I have been busy tearing out a bathroom, washing the out side of the house, Dove hunting in Greeleyville, and back. Will get it out this week.
    What's up with no NBT's out west?

I used to like corelokts too until one out of 10 wouldn't go off. Fonk dat.

I used NBTs in WY last year. Never heard of such. Maybe an individual guides choice??? Would be ignorant cause each one has its own velocity window. .308 180 gr NBT is a lot tougher bullet than a .308 125gr. .338 is a much different bullet than .284, etc.
    What about Swift Scirrocco’s, Sierra Game Changers, ELDX??? They’re all polymer tipped and all different.

I'd shoot anything in North America with a 143grain eldx

Just had a conversation about those. Tough enough for elk?

Never seen em not exit on deer. Some big deer shot in shoulders too. If they run the off side of their body is already painted red