Thread: My son's first gun

Default My son's first gun

My first gun was a Winchester single shot 20. I loved that gun, and I killed plenty with it as it beat the snot out of my shoulder. As a grown up, the only use I have for it is to pass it to my children. That said, I want my children's first guns to be ones they will be able to use into their adulthood and pass down to their kids to use throughout their lives...not store in the closet. I went with the Ithaca model 37 featherlight in 28ga. I have a gunsmith that will fit this to my son, and when he gets older, he can add the wood back. If need be, I will get him a full size stock and keep the youth for when he has kids.

Regardless, my boy had a sleep over the day the gun came in, and he was too busy with his friends to go get fitted...and being a good dad, I took the gun to make sure it worked properly. This was my first time shooting a 28ga, and all I can say is...its all anyone needs on a dove field. The pic was moments after the first dove flew in. One shot, one dove. Anyone considering a special gun for their young ones that is light and won't kick the snot out them and will be used throughout their lives, I highly recommend this sweet shooter. After my youngest gets his in a couple of years, dada's going to treat himself to the chrome AAA walnut version.

Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 09-23-2019 at 09:59 PM.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

That’s great stuff and a beautiful gun.

How old's your boy?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Slick looking gun, by the way
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I've got that same cooler just a different rattle can paint scheme. I don't know why people don't try to cool their birds in the field. At the end of the hunt if people are trying to give away birds I say, "I might take them but what have they been in all afternoon? If they've been in you bucket or plastic bag in 95 degree heat for 3 or 4 hours I'll pass."

Thumbs up on the Chelada.

I’m 51 in a few days, and my boys are almost 8 and almost 6. I won’t be with them as long as Ivebhad my dad and want their first guns to be guns they can use from now until they give them to their kids. I shot an Ithaca 37 12g once I outgrew the single shot; it beat me to death, but I loved it and it never failed. Great guns from a great American company, and I highly recommend if anyone is remotely considering a 28ga. A bit pricy, but you get what u pay for. Love the bottom ejection too, as it’s easy to pick up the hills and will allow you to figure out your mark when you try to double on birds over grass...gotta quit doing that!
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!