Thread: Oversized Checked Baggage

Default Oversized Checked Baggage

Starting to get everything ready for my trip to Canada as far as paper work, license, stamps, etc etc.

Well started working on my luggage situation and double checked Delta's rules for oversized baggage. Found the measurements that the item can not be larger than 80"(LxWxH). Checked the dimensions on my Pelican and wouldn't you know it, it is over the limit by 1". My question is what are the chances that Delta will catch that 1"? I googled it and got about 50/50 on it.

Anyone ever had any problems with oversized bags? The times I've flown I've never seen a baggage claimer pull out a tape measure but I'm sure they probably can get measurements as the luggage passes through the scanner or something.

Thanks in advance!

I have. I had a bag, duffle looking thing on rollers that I bought from Cabelas.. Slightly oversized, didnt think it was.. They turned it down. I had to do a quick repack at airport, thankfully I had a regular duffle in the truck. Some things didn't make the trip.

Flirting and charm can go a long way. If you’re homely and have no game, that’s why they make 20 dollar bills. If it’s an issue, slide one over the agent when you check in. Tell them it’s a tip for above and beyond customer service.

A 150 quart cooler will go, your pelican is bigger than that?

All depends on the agent working that day. Not worth the chance.

What kind of firearm are you taking in the pelican case? Can you borrow a smaller case? I flew 4 shotguns to south Dakota one year that fit in a SKB case designed for two shotguns.

If you want to borrow the SKB if it's smaller than the pelican you're more than welcome to
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

It’s a Vault V800. Dimensions are 56x19x6(LxWxH). Comes to an overall of 81”. Just carrying my A5 and an 870 for backup but was going to pull some of the foam out and line with jackets and bibs to try to get down to just a carry on.
    Last edited by SCmudder7071; 09-21-2019 at 01:37 PM.

I've seen people take a hard sided golf club bag case and pack their guns in it without any issues. It just has to be hard sided and locked where the guns cant be easily taken out. That might be an option for you.
    every expert was once a beginner

I borrowed Chucks and it carried 2 guns to S Dakota for me also- Thanks again Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by SCmudder7071 View Post
    It’s a Vault V800. Dimensions are 56x19x6(LxWxH). Comes to an overall of 81”. Just carrying my A5 and an 870 for backup but was going to pull some of the foam out and line with jackets and bibs to try to get down to just a carry on.
    If you are carrying an A5,....you don't need back up. You are overthinking this.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

It won’t be an issue just keep it under 50lbs. I carry two guns and some clothing in mine and still keep it under 50lbs
    80-20 Genaration