Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30 years ago today

Default 30 years ago today

One of the worst hurricanes to ever hit SC, Hugo caused an estimated 7 billion dollars in damages.
    Where were you when Hugo hit?
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Darlington. I slept thru it. Next morning I cried when I saw all the large pecan trees down, thinking about how long it was gonna take to clean up.
    Tyler Simmons wasn’t offsides. 1-9-2018
    Isaiah Bond didn’t catch the ball. 12-2-2023

Working at the fire department I remember it vividly. We were sent down to Charleston to help them out, I never forget that Charleston look like it had been bombed!!! IOP and further up the coast were no better off it was a total disaster!!
    The timber in Francis Marion national forest look like the whole place had been totally demolished!
    Last edited by LabLuvR; 09-21-2019 at 09:21 AM.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

I was 12 and didn't understand why my mom had pillows and blankets in the hall closet for us to "be safe" in. I was sleeping in Rock Hill until it spawned a tornado that hit our house. When the sun came up it looked like a bomb had gone off...40+ trees down including on our house and through 2 cars.

Hugo made me understand the power of mother nature.

I was 12 also. My 7th grade social studies teacher lived in Charlotte but decided to grab a hotel in Spartanburg. Went home a few days later to find a oak tree had up rooted and flattened her home. God was looking out for the old gal.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

Left awendaw that morning after boarding windows. Will never do that again. Went to Florence only to come back to a flattened landscape. Much damaged the house was still standing. My father and his striker rode the storm out on the shrimp boat tied up to the BP dock.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

We got a little wind and some rain up here. Proof that God loves Upstate South Carolina.

Hugo 30th Anniversary: A Look Back
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

I was a Junior at Lander. We had a hurricane party and had shirts made up that said "Hugo blew ATO, how about you" My mother was thrilled with that one.... I figured I'd be heading to Edisto afterwards later to pick up the pieces of my inlaws house down there. Got lucky that far south. Hugo destroyed the timber on my grandparents farm in Sumter.

I was 7 and we were in Greenville when we returned to MI our house was completely destroyed.

It threw chickens all over the place, on our farm. I couldn’t even crawl at that point, so I rode it out in the tub with momma.

I was 2 years old. We rode it out on James island in harbor woods. I remember the sound.
    867-5309

19 pine trees fell on my small yard.......and not a one hit the house.

Out of power at my office for 5 days with people standing in line to submit claims.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

12, walked out during the eye.. had a young black lab puppy who also needed to be walked. I remember cutting our road out so my father could get to the stores. I also has my largest largemouth in the freezer waiting to get mounted. It was pretty nappy around here.

I was a freshman at College of Charleston (for all of a month). We got sent home the day before. So it was back to Sumter for me. I remember looking at the Sumter Item the afternoon before the storm and the headline said "Expect up to 30 mph winds and about 1/4 inch of rain". My parents 1/2 acre lot had 23 pine trees down, no power for a week and a half because one of the trees tore the meter off the house. I remember thinking the storm was over and it was only the eye crossing over. I remember days later having to stand in line for ice. I went back to school after a week. It sucked. Messed up all of my walk in wood duck holes.

I was at the Navy Yard as part of the Damage Control Team,
    We worked throughout the storm and I saw some incredible sights standing in the doorway to our "bombproof" building. We went out during the eye and secured a sub that couldn't submerge- almost didn't make it back to shelter. The winds were strong enough to break doubled up navy mooring lines. I saw buildings literally explode. What a night.

Was in my first year old grad school at USC. Lost power and water at our apartment, campus got it back, so they opened up the coliseum locker rooms for showers. Classes resumed and everyone smelled gamey. I remember picking up my case of Budweiser water from the coliseum too. Amazing how much better things have been built since, but I fear that so many more people have moved to Charleston and Grand Strand that it will be much worse for shelters and resources.

Horry county 1989=150,000 2017=325,000
    Charleston county 1989=295,000 2017=401,000
    Dorchester and Berkeley have each gained over 100,000 each too

MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

I was 10. Lived in Surfside. Evacuated to my grandparents place in Marion with my mom and brother. Did not sleep the entire night because of trees falling all around the house. My dad was on the disaster team at Myrtle Beach Air Force Base and had to stay behind. Our house survived but our neighbor’s didn’t. Two days after the storm I rode from Surfside to Garden City in a National Guard Hum V with my dad and cousin. It looked like a bombed war zone. I will never forget the devastation and destruction I saw that morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was in my bed, sleeping, when the first tree hit our house.

Screenshot_20190921-202711_Gallery.jpg
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Picture we found on internet few years ago of our IOP house (sitting here now ) after Hugo

Funny note, somebody had leaned a Road Ends sign up on it and to this day we still have it in the back yard

9579BB8A-041B-4C6B-8162-E9F6229BDBE1.jpeg

You should see the pics the wife got out I took the next morning of Garden City. We drove home through it and at 4:30/AM got a call from the Gov. to go stay with his Dad in Murrell" Inlet. I was one of the first people back into South Garden City, thanks to the National Guard, to get back into the south end. I had bait in the freezer's and had to get it out. Left them all our beer and said GOD BLESS. I got story's. Trust Me. Wife Flew over it Low and slow and also has some badASS pics.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"