Thread: What decoy paint?

Default What decoy paint?

Needing to touch up a pile of mallard dekes as well as some bluebills. Is there any reason to buy anything other than a set of craft acrylic paint in and around the colors I need? These are all plastic decoys of various makes and models...avian x, Dakota, flambeau...etc. What do y’all use? Thanks in advance.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Quote Originally Posted by WhitewaterDuck View Post
    Needing to touch up a pile of mallard dekes as well as some bluebills. Is there any reason to buy anything other than a set of craft acrylic paint in and around the colors I need? These are all plastic decoys of various makes and models...avian x, Dakota, flambeau...etc. What do y’all use? Thanks in advance.
    Since you are already going to be prepping and painting, just take a few extra minutes and flock the heads on your mallards. But, to answer your question its Rustoleum High Performance Enamel. V7538 Hunter Green is the color for mallard heads.
    Last edited by Fat Lab; 09-18-2019 at 09:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    I dunno, but being a good duck hunter and shooting woodducks have nothing in common.

You know any real good dove hunters?

Fun as hell, but.....

Parker has been my go to on divers and puddle ducks.

I've got some flocked head decoys, and Ill never buy another slick plastic again if I can help it. I wish I had a couple of dozen of the Dakota packables that are made out of the stuff their turkey decoys are made of with flocked heads. I'm hoping they start making other packables including bluebills, wigeon, and pintails. It'd be really sweet to be able to haul 48 quality decoys on a 3/4 mile hike in duffle and a backpack without doing neuromuscular damage in the process. If they hold up like their turkey decoys, they will be good as new with a little wash and rinse after beating them silly for 3+years. Regardless, where are you getting your flocking material and what exactly are you using? I never was any good with elmers and glitter, so is it a pain in the arse, or is it fairly easy to do without having your duck ending up looking like lumpy grits? Any input appreciated...meanwhile, Ill consult the great Youtube in the sky. Thanks.

Never mind...some YouTube action makes me think this could be a lot of enjoyable hours spent sipping suds and turning a bunch of chicken shit into some serious chicken salad out in the garage. Great suggestion on the flocking. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by WhitewaterDuck View Post
    Never mind...some YouTube action makes me think this could be a lot of enjoyable hours spent sipping suds and turning a bunch of chicken shit into some serious chicken salad out in the garage. Great suggestion on the flocking. Thanks.
    If you're on FB look up the group Decoy Flockers. There is endless information and plenty of how to videos!
    Last edited by Fat Lab; 09-20-2019 at 08:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    I dunno, but being a good duck hunter and shooting woodducks have nothing in common.

You know any real good dove hunters?

Fun as hell, but.....

Check out Knutson's.

You can do a lot of duck decoy work with Rustoleum camo sand, khaki, earth brown, and black. Use flat gray primer and flat white. Available right off of the shelf at Lowes or Walmart.

Pretty much all I used for these...

Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Sexy. Like the high head pintail

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Sexy. Like the high head pintail
    Ha ha - I did too until the first time I hunted it on a windy day...it's a tree duck now....

The 2019-20 freshman class...I don't like the green on the shoveler's head but am otherwise pretty happy...

What kind of heads and bodies are those

The pintail, bluebill and goldeneyes are all Herter's 72 Ultimates with Autumn Wings heads. I painted all by one of the pintail heads.

The lower picture are mostly Herter's Factory burlapped 63s. The scoters are home burlapped 72s.

The ringnecks have Autumn Wings heads (two drakes were 67 sized bluebills that I made to look like Ringnecks and the rest are 63 sized bluebill heads that I painted myself).

The scoters, shovelers and Hoodie are Homer decoy heads that only come unpainted. The Autumn Wings heads have glass eyes and, since they're wood, take paint a lot better. The Homer heads are a tough plastic, don't have glass eyes and only come unpainted. Both have pluses and minuses. The Homer heads had some sort of oily coating either from a mold-release agent or oils from the plastic itself. I used some carb cleaner on a rag to get rid of that coating and used a primer that was specifically for plastic. Autumn Wings doesn't make a shoveler or merganser head but otherwise I think I'll stick with wooden heads if I can.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    Parker has been my go to on divers and puddle ducks.
    Parker has been the paints I've used since the 1970s when I bought them from Herters for the first time.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."