Thread: .35 whelen

Default .35 whelen

Just picked up a single shot .35 whelen for primitive season here in Mississippi. Any good ammo I should look at? I've had good luck with federal fusion and corelokt out of modern day calibers. Thanks fellas

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

Quote Originally Posted by duckcommander727 View Post
    Just picked up a single shot .35 whelen for primitive season here in Mississippi.
    WTF is primitive about a .35 Whelen? And I shoot regular old 285gr round nose soft points out of my 9.3x62mm which is similar to a .35 Whelen.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Mobetter View Post
    WTF is primitive about a .35 Whelen? And I shoot regular old 285gr round nose soft points out of my 9.3x62mm which is similar to a .35 Whelen.
    That's what I was wondering.

Mississippi classifys any rifle caliber over .35 a primitive and it must be single shot.

“… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”

Quote Originally Posted by duckcommander727 View Post
    Mississippi classifys any rifle caliber over .35 a primitive and it must be single shot.

That's what I'm taking about

I read alot of people buying those handi rifles and CVA’s for that season. I think LA might have a similar law.

Big fat corelokt will do fine. I was gonna load some handloads for my 06 but it loves heavy corelokts so i bought 4 boxes and rolled with it
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Federal has great round a 225 gr trophy bear claw, used it to take a couple of elk. Good weight retention and expansion

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    I read alot of people buying those handi rifles and CVA’s for that season. I think LA might have a similar law.

Big fat corelokt will do fine. I was gonna load some handloads for my 06 but it loves heavy corelokts so i bought 4 boxes and rolled with it
    Yep picked up a handi rifle with BSA cateye scope on it for $250 never shot. I've heard the bsa isn't a good scope, guess I'll find out

WTF is primitive about a .35 Whelen? .
    Apparently Mississippi says so

WTF is primitive about a .35 Whelen?
    Anything that ain't a 6.5 it's primitive. Keep up now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bownut View Post
    Anything that ain't a 6.5 it's primitive. Keep up now.
    Pfft.

The 6.5x55mm came out 30 years before the .35 Whelen and there ain't a gnats difference between the .260, the 6.5x55, and the Creedmore.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

35 Whelen is a thumper. I shoot 225 grain Partitions from mine. It is a great cartridge. The last few bears I have shot in WA were DRT. They can't hold it. Some of my friends out there use it for Elk in the Black Timber and it works great on them too. The Whelen has a pretty strong fan base out West.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I thought it was .358 caliber and over with a straight case, no shoulder. I shot Hornady 200 SP out of mine and it was brutal on SC deer. I have 2 friends in Georgetown that shoot Barnes out of theirs for elk.
    Last edited by rrconductor; 09-17-2019 at 08:11 AM.

Pfft.

The 6.5x55mm came out 30 years before the .35 Whelen and there ain't a gnats difference between the .260, the 6.5x55, and the Creedmore.
    Yeah, but nobody puts all that tactical stuff and bipods and stuff on their lever guns to shoot 1000 yards and stuff. Yeah.

Interesting on what's primitive or not. I can't recall the state, but a Browning high wall is considered primitive in 45/70 but you must use a load typical of the time those guns were originally made. A Ruger No. 1 with the same load is not primitive.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Pfft.

Shhhh. Before you make my 6.5x55 bullets go up.
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1