Thread: Pergo Flooring

Default Pergo Flooring

Wife wants to replace the old floors with this new pergo timber craft waterproof stuff. I had a few flooring guys come look at the job and I was told I don’t need the fancy expensive underlayment and could use 30# roofing felt to save some money. They claimed it’s basically the same, adds as a padding and moister barrier. A little research seems it’s not uncommon, Ive just never heard of it I guess. I’m on a crawl space if that matters. Looks like 30# felt is about .062 thick so that’s around 1.5mm. Seems most underlayment is 1.5-2mm unless you pony up for the 3mm. Opinions?

Check to make sure it doesn’t effect warranty.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Would not consider a property with Pergo flooring...

Look into aquabar if you wanna use felt.

I used felt under mine and I have quite a few butt joints that separated since I installed it 7 years ago. Not sure whether the felt is the cause but I’ve always wondered. Other than that I personally haven’t seen any issues
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

I don’t really care if we use felt or not. If it’s a common practice it will save me around $500.

Do you have dogs? Do you like hearing "tic tic tic" when they walk across the floor? I would look into LVT as another option.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

I’ll piggy back on this thread instead of starting my own.

I have a contract on a property we’re either going to flip or Airbnb. It’s about a half mile from one of the ski slopes up here. Majority of people renting will be skiing, hiking, mountain biking, or other outdoor stuff. We expect boots and water to get tracked in. What’s my best option? Vinyl plank? I would think hardwoods would take a beating and not last as long, I know mine get worked over pretty good by my kids in our house and they’re usually barefoot.

Vinyl waterproof.
    Low country redneck who moved north

If you want the most durable, and want a wood look, I would suggest the ceramic wood planks.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    I’ll piggy back on this thread instead of starting my own.

I have a contract on a property we’re either going to flip or Airbnb. It’s about a half mile from one of the ski slopes up here. Majority of people renting will be skiing, hiking, mountain biking, or other outdoor stuff. We expect boots and water to get tracked in. What’s my best option? Vinyl plank? I would think hardwoods would take a beating and not last as long, I know mine get worked over pretty good by my kids in our house and they’re usually barefoot.
    For that application, LVT or bamboo. Ceramic would be another but it’s not the cheapest option.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Some of the cheaper LVT i have installed has started to separate at the butts, so at least spend a little more when selecting. I put in what the homeowners pick out..
    This is in high traffic areas, and with kids running around.

I put down 9/16" engineered flooring through most of my house and it's been awesome. Most layers are cheaper wood while top layer is bamboo. Floor had held awesome with 2 dogs, 2 kids and all the fun therein.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

i'd take my wife to dinner so she would stop thinking we needed a new freaking floor.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    I put down 9/16" engineered flooring through most of my house and it's been awesome. Most layers are cheaper wood while top layer is bamboo. Floor had held awesome with 2 dogs, 2 kids and all the fun therein.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    A lotta people are put off by engineered, but it's actually more dimensionally stable than solid hardwood.

Like others have said, LVP sounds like the best bet. A lot of the issues with the clicking systems have been greatly improved since the product was first introduced. Another cool feature is the ability to take this floor up and reinstall it if ever needed.
    Last edited by Black Bart; 09-16-2019 at 07:07 AM.