Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Get Some Part II

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Get Some Part II

The South Carolina offense didn't commit a single penalty all day: no motion penalties, no delays, no lining up incorrectly. No confusion.

And no punts, either.

All of which is to say Ryan Hilinski appeared to be uncommonly mature on the field, not just because, six weeks before his 19th birthday, he stands 6-foot-3 and weighs 230 pounds.

Not just because his first eight passes went to eight different receivers -- four wideouts, two tight ends and two running backs -- one more sign of a quarterback who knows the offense and has the patience to read and respond to the defense.

Not just because, in preseason work, the minute he got to practice with the starting offense against the starting defense, he went right at Jaycee Horn, one of the best corners in the SEC. "He has a swagger to him," Horn said after the game Saturday. "That's what I love about him. Every team I've been on, I had a quarterback like that, it ended up being good for us. As y'all saw today, that didn't look like an 18-year-old out there."

But there's one other thing: The uncommon maturity that everyone sees in Hilinski has as much to do with what he has endured off of the field as what he has accomplished on it.

Ryan wears the No. 3 jersey, the number his older brother Tyler wore when he led Washington State to a comeback overtime victory over Boise State in 2017, when he started for the Cougars against Michigan State in the Holiday Bowl at the end of that season. Nineteen days after the bowl game, Tyler died by suicide. He died without his family having the least notion he had been struggling with mental illness.

Ryan is playing for South Carolina. He is also playing for Tyler. When Ryan threw a 60-yard strike for a touchdown to Bryan Edwards in the second quarter Saturday, Ryan raised his right hand, three fingers up, and looked skyward.

Mark and Kym Hilinski, Ryan's parents, have become advocates for mental health care for student-athletes. Their foundation, Hilinski's Hope, has begun staging seminars at athletic departments across the country, urging big, strong, competitive athletes that it's actually healthy to be vulnerable and to seek help.

To raise awareness among the public, at the suggestion of a Gamecocks fan, Hilinski's Hope is asking everyone at Williams-Brice Stadium on Saturday to hold up the number three on the first play of the third quarter.

Hilinski's Hope is Mark and Kym's attempt to salvage something positive from the tornado that wrecked their lives. As they have grieved in public, they have also turned inward toward their two living sons. Mark and Kym and their oldest son Kelly, 24, all moved east from Southern California to the Columbia area after Ryan enrolled last January.

Ryan Hilinski and wide receiver Trey Adkins celebrate with fans after South Carolina's 72-10 win over Charleston Southern. AP Photo/John Amis
    This isn't a case of backstage parents basking in the glory of their son, or of Kelly, whose quarterback career at Columbia University and Weber State ended because of injury, living vicariously through his brother. The Hilinskis all are trying to heal and nurse one another's wounds, all trying to figure out how to live without Tyler.

Ryan is mature enough to have given a eulogy for a South Carolina student who died by suicide two weeks ago. Ryan didn't know the student who died, but he knew the student's friends, and they asked, and he wanted to help.

Most nights, Ryan eschews his dorm room and drives a half-hour to Kelly's apartment, where he sleeps on a queen mattress on the living room floor. Kelly aspires to attend medical school. He took the MCATs at the end of August.

"That was the plan with Tyler," Kelly said. "I was going to move up [to Washington] for med school. That was the plan. I don't know. It got transferred to Ryan."

It's unusual for siblings aged 24 and 18 to be this close. It usually takes a few more years to grow together as peers. But Kelly and Ryan recognize that all they have is each other.

Kelly is Ryan's big brother, there to counsel. But Ryan is there for Kelly, too.

"He does things beyond his years," Kelly said. "It's not just football. He apologizes first. He takes the blame. He doesn't make excuses. He acknowledges where he F'd up. He gets better every day. It's so beyond football. I'm so happy for him, but I'm just proud of him as a kid. I wasn't this good. I wasn't that nice of a person. I wasn't that humble and understanding of the world. It's really cool to see that."

It's especially cool in the hothouse world of the SEC. Ryan wanted the spectacle and challenge of it. Mark is discovering what it feels like to be recognized at the car repair shop. "That's Hilinski's father," one worker said to another in a stage not-whisper.

Kelly couldn't believe the traffic and hullabaloo around Williams-Brice on Saturday morning, four hours before kickoff. "Thousands upon thousands of South Carolina fans, lining up everywhere, screaming at God knows what, cussing out Clemson fans," Kelly said. "It's 8 in the morning!"

Kelly went downtown that early to bring Ryan the white polo shirt the team would wear for Gamecock Walk. None of the other three Hilinskis panicked, or even expressed surprise, that Ryan had forgotten it. Mark said on Friday he wouldn't be surprised to hear, ''Do you have any red [size] 13 cleats? Because I can't find mine."

So there is a freshman in there somewhere. As Ryan projected composure and intensity to his coaches and teammates, he came home and wondered if he would ever fit in a locker room where half the kids are from South Carolina.

As Ryan aced test after test in the quarterback room, he came home and worried he wouldn't get enough time with the starters to prove to them he knew what he was doing.

"I don't know if the guys are going to trust me when I get the chance," Ryan told his dad, "because I haven't done anything. I'm not doing it in practice in front of them."

Mark replied, "No, you're wrong. What they're going to trust is they see you in the weight room. They see you eating the nutritional stuff or not. They see you at practice. If they're not in front of you, they're on the sideline watching you. They're going to listen to you bitch and moan, or suck it up and do it."

Senior wide receiver Bryan Edwards, one of the best in the conference, noticed how Hilinski didn't obsess over missing a throw. He told Muschamp, "Coach, he moves on to the next thing."

After spending the first quarter Saturday making short, safe throws, Hilinski opened the second quarter with a deep post to an open Edwards. He underthrew it just enough that the corner batted it away.

"He wasn't too down about it," Edwards said. "He said, 'Aw, I missed you. I'm going to get you on the next one.'"

On the second play of the next possession, Hilinski hit Edwards on another deep post for that 60-yard touchdown.

That's perspective. That's understanding a bigger picture. That's not unusual just for freshmen. That's unusual for top players.

"Some of the highly competitive guys I've been around, and Ryan is highly competitive, have a hard time letting the last one go, especially if it wasn't successful," Muschamp said. "But at that position, and in most situations, you've got to be able to move on."

Hilinski pumped up a Gamecocks fan base deflated by the season-opening loss to North Carolina and the foot injury to starting quarterback Jake Bentley. South Carolina's next opponent is about as far removed from Charleston Southern as a college team can be. No. 2 Alabama comes to Williams-Brice Stadium on Saturday.

Not only is the Crimson Tide bigger, stronger and faster than the Buccaneers, Alabama isn't likely to remain in a 4-3 base defense all afternoon that Hilinski can sit back and pick apart, especially after head coach Nick Saban watched the South Carolina video.

"He had a good arm, he was very accurate," Saban said of Hilinski. "He made good decisions. He got rid of the ball, he got the ball out of his hands quickly. He executed the offense really well."

After Ryan Hilinski, left, chose South Carolina, his parents, Kym and Mark, moved to Columbia, along with Ryan's older brother Kelly.
    Yet as coaches and teammates and writers praise Ryan's maturity, Mark and Kym stare at him a little more intently.

"He comes in, 'How you doin'? You good?'" Mark said, describing Ryan working the room. "Tyler was like that. What I know about Tyler now is I think part of that was the front he put on. I wonder how much I really know."

It haunts Mark and Kym that they took Tyler's good nature and concern for others the same way everyone else did -- at face value. They didn't know that deep down, Tyler was scrabbling for purchase, trying, and failing, to maintain his equilibrium. How could they know? Tyler didn't tell them.

So with Ryan, they glean clues and they listen.

"Ryan's maturity, if you will, is he's stable," Mark said. "He used to get really high and really low. I think he's flattened out a little bit. I think Tyler, and all we've talked about and been through, and Ryan's exposure to all this in the world, people being sick and people that love them not being able to help, has sobered him.

"I think that, for 18, is about as much as you hope for," Mark said.

It would be simple to surmise that Ryan is carrying the burden of his brother's legacy, of feeling he has to succeed for his brother, for his family. But it's more complicated than that. The pain the Hilinskis have endured won't be soothed by Ryan throwing touchdowns. All the touchdowns in the world won't bring Tyler back.

To celebrate Ryan's first start, his extended family converged onto the South Carolina campus from New England, from Miami, from Sonoma County. At dinner Saturday night, in the 1801 Grille on campus, the Hilinski party of 12 talked up a storm. The adults sat at one end of the table; Ryan, Kelly and their four first cousins at the other.

As they waited for their food, Ryan took a knife, clinked it against his ice-water glass, stood, and turned toward the table.

"I want to thank you for coming," he said. "It meant a lot. I know this is tough for everyone, but Tyler's here with us." He paused, and the grin on his face stretched a little wider. "Let's beat Bama."

Good story. The problem for SC is Saban is still mad about 2010.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

We are fucked. What time is the game?

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    We are fucked. What time is the game?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Is this current star quarterback even not supposed to still be in highschool yet?

Sounds like a really impressive young man. Why the hell was Bentley starting?

EVERYBODY can be beat.

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    EVERYBODY can be beat.
    Then who would be left to win?

You have to pull for a kid like Hilinski but it’s a whole different animal today. Doubt he’s comfortable in the pocket all day long. Let’s just hope he doesn’t get hurt when that O-line gets trucked. Here’s a question for y’all, does Muchcash leave him in after the 6th sack when Bama’s up by 28-35 or take him out to protect him?
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    You have to pull for a kid like Hilinski
    Why? He tore his ACL in highschool? His brother killed himself? He beat up on Porter Gaud?

All I see is weakness in this program...

Why? He tore his ACL in highschool? His brother killed himself? He beat up on Porter Gaud?

All I see is weakness in this program...
    Easy, killa. I about quit on 'em a couple of weeks ago. Decided I gotta stay the course, tough as it is...

Anybody see Tori Gurley on the Paul Finebaum show? I don't know what to think?

No. What did Gurly say?

I expect it to be ugly, it could get real ugly like the UGA game last year.
    I am more interested in seeing how composed and well the kid plays against this team
    in only his second start. Looking to see if he has a little "Connor Shaw" grit

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "Connor Shaw" grit
    That would be nice. I would settle for a little snorting adderall off the hotel maid's butthole Garcia these days...

That would be nice. I would settle for a little snorting adderall off the hotel maid's butthole Garcia these days...
    I lol'd
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Bigger question is, has Directv/AT&T worked out their problems with Disney/ESPN? Will the game even by available to those of us serviced by DTV/AT&T.?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    Bigger question is, has Directv/AT&T worked out their problems with Disney/ESPN? Will the game even by available to those of us serviced by DTV/AT&T.?
    If you live within 30 miles of Stadium you can tell how’s things are going by the amount of Firetrucks passing by

Quote Originally Posted by Timsmith View Post
    If you live within 30 miles of Stadium you can tell how’s things are going by the amount of Firetrucks passing by
    Tailgating could be on Live PD.

You can always default to Reddit CFB streams to watch any game, anywhere, any time...