Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: California, collegiate fair pay.....

ok/. why not?

18-20 year olds that enjoy comraderie and physical activity. While I know they have "summer workouts" and spring training, its not like you're throwing them in some briar patch. Its certainly not a trade off for increased pay (or perks).

We are past the point of trying to sell the general public on paying football players in return for an education. And to say we should pay them because its "hard work" is pure folly.

in my opinion...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    Maybe he did well.

I think most people get caught up in nostalgia of college football. Yes it is great and not paying players is part of the reason it's likeable. The problem is that there's just too much money in college football to not pay the players in some way. When a university is paying a coach $10 million a year and has 10 social media manager "coaches" making about $150k a year you know there's money being made. And to those of you saying they get paid in scholarships, food, etc. would any of you work for $15 an hour when your field of work pays $30? I don't think so. College football is no longer an amateur sport. End of story.

I do believe paying players has the potential to absolutely kill the sport and create lots of issues. I just don't think you can ignore the economics of the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    I think most people get caught up in nostalgia of college football. Yes it is great and not paying players is part of the reason it's likeable. The problem is that there's just too much money in college football to not pay the players in some way. When a university is paying a coach $10 million a year and has 10 social media manager "coaches" making about $150k a year you know there's money being made. And to those of you saying they get paid in scholarships, food, etc. would any of you work for $15 an hour when your field of work pays $30? I don't think so. College football is no longer an amateur sport. End of story.

I do believe paying players has the potential to absolutely kill the sport and create lots of issues. I just don't think you can ignore the economics of the situation.
    They have the option to say no and go do something else. It's an agreement entered into voluntarily without coercion. If they don't like the rules of the game then don't play the game. Simple. This whole attitude lately of buyers remorse after the fact (paying college athletes, student loan crisis etc) is ridiculous. Want to make money, go get a job. Want an education so you can make money? Go play football on scholarship and, wait for it, GO TO CLASS AND STUDY!

There's a member on here who's son was recruited and offered scholarships to play football. The kid flat turned 'em all down because he didn't want to operate under the rules the schools and NCAA set. See how easy that is?

This thread is wasted breath. The players who are worth it are already getting payed! And yes that means your team too don’t kid yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    They have the option to say no and go do something else. It's an agreement entered into voluntarily without coercion. If they don't like the rules of the game then don't play the game. Simple. This whole attitude lately of buyers remorse after the fact (paying college athletes, student loan crisis etc) is ridiculous. Want to make money, go get a job. Want an education so you can make money? Go play football on scholarship and, wait for it, GO TO CLASS AND STUDY!
    So by your logic we should bury our heads in the sand and never reevaluate the rules no matter how things have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodiewacker82 View Post
    This thread is wasted breath. The players who are worth it are already getting payed! And yes that means your team too don’t kid yourself.
    The most accurate post in this thread. People getting paid

So by your logic we should bury our heads in the sand and never reevaluate the rules no matter how things have changed.
    You could try it. Might be hard to breathe. I'd first try acknowledging the fact they are operating within an agreed upon contract where an individual agrees to perform a service in exchange for benefits. In this case those benefits are food, shelter, healthcare, some spending money and an education worth upwards of $200k over a 4 year period depending on the school. Total benefits over 4 years could well exceed $300k. All tax free, I might add. That's pretty good money for a kid right out of high school. So to your point I see no reason to change the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    You could try it. Might be hard to breathe. I'd first try acknowledging the fact they are operating within an agreed upon contract where an individual agrees to perform a service in exchange for benefits. In this case those benefits are food, shelter, healthcare, some spending money and an education worth upwards of $200k over a 4 year period depending on the school. Total benefits over 4 years could well exceed $300k. All tax free, I might add. That's pretty good money for a kid right out of high school. So to your point I see no reason to change the rules.
    I agree that they sign up for it well knowing what they are getting into. I just argue that some players are forced into the agreement since there isn't another good avenue to the NFL. I'd also agree that from my perspective that $300k is a really good deal for most kids. I just don't like that the market is distorted because of arbitrary rules set by the NCAA. Who's to say that the $300k wouldn't be $600k if you'd allow the free market to work. I don't think it's my place to say what someone/something is worth when there are willing people to pay the money to them.

I think it's ridiculous that coaches are paid $10 million a year, but if that's the going rate, pay the man.

the NCAA is too corrupt to let the players share in the profits.

They’re already getting a well paid internship basically. If you don’t want to do it enroll on your dime for the education or sit out three years, get a 40, save your money, train like hell and try out for the NFL. pretty simple.
    All this is gonna be irrelevant when the new XFL starts paying them out of high school. Vince M. said already they plan to do it.

They should be able to market themselves and earn money. Should the university pay them, nope. Should they be able to charge little Johny five bucks, or what ever someone is willing to pay to sighn a hat, or a fake pair of titties, sure why not. Let the market dictate how much each player can earn. The polo, and soccer players are screwed, but let's be honest, Mom and Dad have them covered.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Some things, hold that, most things are better off left unchanged
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    This.

you just had to bring soccer into it...

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    Until it hits your own wallet. I'm sure you don't want to keep charging the same rate to replace a roof for the rest of your career. One thing is constant, things change. Sometimes its better, sometimes its worse.

Until it hits your own wallet. I'm sure you don't want to keep charging the same rate to replace a roof for the rest of your career. One thing is constant, things change. Sometimes its better, sometimes its worse.
    Been charging the same margin for 30 years. Only way I go up is if material and or labor goes up. Unlike most of today’s world I don’t enjoy screwing someone just because I think I can. Just another example of hand out society
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Glenn, what about the players getting paid for their signatures? Or selling a jersey that is his? Profiting off your talents. I think the NCAA is to involved in stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by SCDAWG View Post
    Glenn, what about the players getting paid for their signatures? Or selling a jersey that is his? Profiting off your talents. I think the NCAA is to involved in stuff like that.
    Most UGA fans do after Gruley and Greene.

They knew the rules.