Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: California, collegiate fair pay.....

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    They CHOOSE to play because there is no other option. Can't really say they choose when there is only 1 option. I don't think they are slaves, far from it. It's just that they are getting paid minimum wage when a free market would dictate they be paid a lot more than that. Some players would be worth $20 an hour, some $200 an hour.
    What do you mean no other option? They can go get job after high school and learn all about the free market.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    Not all student athletes have full rides, even in football there are still a decent amount of walk ons.
    Yeah, but how many of them have their names on the back of jerseys being bought by fans?

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    Yeah, but how many of them have their names on the back of jerseys being bought by fans?
    See above.

Either it is not affiliated with the school or it is because he is graduated.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    See above.
    I knew I should have put an "with the exception of Renfrow disclaimer" in that post

Also, I'm pretty sure after 2015 he was on scholarship
    Last edited by wskinner; 09-12-2019 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    I can actually feel the brain cells dying.
    Really. Gold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    I knew I should have put an "with the exception of Renfrow disclaimer" in that post

Also, I'm pretty sure after 2015 he was on scholarship
    And I knew you wouldn't know any other one.

How about a heisman winner?

24879-2T.jpg

And hot rod deserves a mention

fe3be135232d495b90d2d3dc5ff35161cbf8fd6ac32d62f4ff1cec507a3665bd.jpg

It’s easy all student athletes should receive free school boarding and food, if they graduate. If you want to make money go get a job. Of all the athletes in school only .00001 percent will go on to make money from that sport. They are playing because they enjoy it.
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

And I knew you wouldn't know any other one.

How about a heisman winner?

24879-2T.jpg

And hot rod deserves a mention

fe3be135232d495b90d2d3dc5ff35161cbf8fd6ac32d62f4ff1cec507a3665bd.jpg
    Both received scholarships.

Good walk-ons eventually get put on scholarship.

Quote Originally Posted by SCDAWG View Post
    Either it is not affiliated with the school or it is because he is graduated.
    Graduated. Clemson has sold Watson jerseys since he left as well.

Ed O’Bannon case. Similar to NCAA PlayStation games.

If they do pay “ametuer” student athletes, it should be in graduations, where “seniors” get the biggest piece
    of the pie.
    Tyler Simmons wasn’t offsides. 1-9-2018
    Isaiah Bond didn’t catch the ball. 12-2-2023

We are way past the lie that college athletes are just there for an education. The schools sell the replica jerseys for $150 with the kids name on it. The kids get nothing for using their name and likeness. What other industry does that happen in?

Meanwhile let the kid sign and sell his personal gameday jersey to a collector for $100 and the NCAA will act like he is the biggest danger to the game and suspend him. This isn't about fairness. This is about losing money.

I also found it interesting that tennis players can accept up to 10k in prize money.

Actually legit retailers cannot sell jerseys with the kid's name on it while they are playing. That's not to say you can't go on ebay and get a bootleg one from China though. The official jerseys don't have the players names on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    I'm not caught up in anything!
    Just don't think paying kids to play sports is right.... Period!
    After they are done with their education, they can do whateverthefuk they want!
    And don't chime in about some athaletes and their education or lack thereof, I get all that....
    If you're gonna let colleges and universities buy their athaletes, why not high schools.... Where does it end?
    Idk about public schools in SC but SCISA schools have been doing it for many years.

My wife seen them get passing grades at Salk and only show up once or twice for the class. It might not be pay, but it's crappy when she had to show up every class to pass while these guys passed just for playing a sport. I think in that case it was basketball.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    Yep. I have a border collie mix that is smarter than most of the people on this site.
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Actually, just recalled my uncle used to get paid by the coach to take out guys with chop blocks in the 80's, SC public school. What people wont do to win at sports.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    Yep. I have a border collie mix that is smarter than most of the people on this site.
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Screw Tebow. That is his opinion. Ask his teammates that he pumped up in that locker room how they feel about it. Eff 'em all. Leach is awesome.

Leach said:

"I do think if everybody's not given - in other words, if you're creating a recruiting advantage beyond what already exists, I think it's gonna be very difficult. I think there will be a huge imbalance and you'll destroy college football."

He continued, saying about California:

"The state of California has trouble keeping their streets clean right now. So my thought is that they probably ought to focus on that. That's just one man's opinion. I'm sure I'm probably wrong. But at the rate that California's handling their infrastructure and some of their other problems, I think we'll see how they do with that before I really think it would be that beneficial for the legislature in California to enter into college football."

I can't see myself watching college football if they pay the kids out right.

So if you're paying them, do they even need to be enrolled in school?

My biggest fear is the change in fans. Pro football boasts some of the tackiest people of any group.