Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 104

Thread: California, collegiate fair pay.....

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Lowcountry, SC
    Posts
    8,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    I don't give Clemson athletics a dime, and I haven't given them a dime in over 10 years. They made the rules to the game, and I play that game in a way that most benefits my family.
    understood. Someone is paying, though, that's a fact.
    2014 SCDucks College Football Pick 'em Champion


    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    And I will gloat because I am an SEC fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Beating Clemson is all that matters.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Manning, SC
    Posts
    10,732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LowcountryBuck View Post
    Clemson does not sell a jersey with a current athlete's name on it.
    First two links on Google. I'm not hip the jersey market, but these look like legit authentic jerseys to me. Someone is getting paid. And it ain't Trevor.

    https://www.tigersteamgear.com/clems...ce-jersey.html

    https://www.clemsontigersfansshop.co...awrence_Jersey

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    10,462

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    If you are a capitalist, you should always be in favor of someone being able to make money from their talents if there is a willing market to pay them.
    When they sign to play they understand the pay is a free education, tutors, room and board, food and medical care.

    College students often do work/research that the university benefits from should every student that produces a profit be paid by the university.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Florence, SC
    Posts
    415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    When they sign to play they understand the pay is a free education, tutors, room and board, food and medical care.

    College students often do work/research that the university benefits from should every student that produces a profit be paid by the university.
    No one said that the current student athletes didn't understand what they signed up for. I'm saying that there shouldn't be arbitrary rules making it illegal for them to profit off their talents. And yes, if a student produces a product at a university I think they should have a right to be compensated for their efforts. I'm not here to dictate what the payment should be, only that they shouldn't have rules forbidding them from receiving payments.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Parole
    Posts
    3,766

    Default

    First Lowcountry is right. A College or University can't legally sell a jersey with a name on the back. Go to the bookstore in Athens and see if there is a name on the back. Step outside on the street somebody is making it.
    There is a reason you can't buy 1-99 in the official school store. Wonder why? Why are certain numbers only available?
    It has been estimated that Johnny Manzel brought Texas A&M close to 15 million on his own.
    Players will get paid by the school and still get padded hand shakes from boosters. The kids should see what true capitalism looks like. The difference between 1st round money and 5th round money. Same goes with the better athlete should get more.
    Look at the Letter of Intent and what it did to the student athlete. Who benefited from that?

    Football pays for everything else. Hardly any sport makes money except football. Most often the sport doesn't even pay for themselves.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Florence, SC
    Posts
    415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SCDAWG View Post
    First Lowcountry is right. A College or University can't legally sell a jersey with a name on the back. Go to the bookstore in Athens and see if there is a name on the back. Step outside on the street somebody is making it.
    There is a reason you can't buy 1-99 in the official school store. Wonder why? Why are certain numbers only available?
    It has been estimated that Johnny Manzel brought Texas A&M close to 15 million on his own.
    Players will get paid by the school and still get padded hand shakes from boosters. The kids should see what true capitalism looks like. The difference between 1st round money and 5th round money. Same goes with the better athlete should get more.
    Look at the Letter of Intent and what it did to the student athlete. Who benefited from that?

    Football pays for everything else. Hardly any sport makes money except football. Most often the sport doesn't even pay for themselves.
    And if you believe football should pay for every other sport you might as well go to Bernie Sanders rallies. The NCAA/college is nothing more than a socialist set up where the profits of star college football players are taken and given to others (coaches, staff, women's badminton team, etc.)

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    In the middle of it
    Posts
    3,538

    Default

    College football has soul. You start outright paying players and it will lose that and be just like the NFL. It will be all about the money and contracts and the individuals and it will lose the things that make it special.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    MUN-row, NC
    Posts
    3,409

    Default

    Like someone else said, pay them for their likeness and for sales on their jersey #. It'll put some money in their pockets, and it'll also promote additional competition between starters, backups and their opponents.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    10,462

    Default

    A university is a business, the athletic department is only a division which in all reality is for branding. Each sport is not like an individual business. I donít see how you work socialism into college athletics.

    If a university were to drop all sports except football then the conference would drop them. The system has evolved for decades paying football players would cascade into other areas.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sc
    Posts
    1,155

    Default

    There will still be loop holes in royalties. The school or donors can just tell a recruit if you sign with us we will give you 10% or whatever of sales and we gaurantee x number of shirts are sold weather the fans buy them or a single person. Allowing players to be paid just makes it easier to bend the rules.
    Last edited by 12341234; 09-12-2019 at 02:43 PM.
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    10,462

    Default

    Especially having agents.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Florence, SC
    Posts
    415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    College football has soul. You start outright paying players and it will lose that and be just like the NFL. It will be all about the money and contracts and the individuals and it will lose the things that make it special.
    So players should be forced to not make any money because we want to keep the soul of college football? I agree with you in the fact that I enjoy it much more than the NFL, but just because I enjoy it doesn't mean we should neglect the fact that players should have a right to money.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Florence, SC
    Posts
    415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    A university is a business, the athletic department is only a division which in all reality is for branding. Each sport is not like an individual business. I don’t see how you work socialism into college athletics.

    If a university were to drop all sports except football then the conference would drop them. The system has evolved for decades paying football players would cascade into other areas.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Each sport isn't an individual business, but it is like a division of a company. If a division of a company doesn't pull it's weight, they usually get shut down or restructured. The only reason a university is able to take profits from football and give them out to the have-not sports is because they don't have the expense of paying for their talent.

    I don't know what the right answer is around how paying players should be structured or all of the ramifications, but I can't ignore the fact that college football is an extremely profitable business that operates on free labor.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    In the middle of it
    Posts
    3,538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    So players should be forced to not make any money because we want to keep the soul of college football? I agree with you in the fact that I enjoy it much more than the NFL, but just because I enjoy it doesn't mean we should neglect the fact that players should have a right to money.
    Scholarships are a form of money. College is the pipeline for those wanting to go to the NFL, if they don't then they have a degree they didn't have to pay for, in addition to room and board for however many years, so they can go get a decent job. I don't see where they are being taken advantage of. Should we start paying high school athletes as well. The school makes money when they charge admission to games?

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    In the middle of it
    Posts
    3,538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    Each sport isn't an individual business, but it is like a division of a company. If a division of a company doesn't pull it's weight, they usually get shut down or restructured. The only reason a university is able to take profits from football and give them out to the have-not sports is because they don't have the expense of paying for their talent.

    I don't know what the right answer is around how paying players should be structured or all of the ramifications, but I can't ignore the fact that college football is an extremely profitable business that operates on free labor.
    So you're saying the athletes are slaves? Do you think anyone would play college football if there wasn't something in it for them. They CHOOSE to play and they know what they are getting out of it.
    Last edited by wskinner; 09-12-2019 at 03:39 PM.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Parole
    Posts
    3,766

    Default

    I don't think they should pay players equally or to other sports. Bottom line is outside of FBS, sports cost the school money. Football pays the bills for everybody.
    I do wonder how anybody could justify the fact you can't buy numbers 1-99 at the school at any given time. There is a reason why "certain" numbers are available. Damn, look at what the stupid NCAA has done to Georgia with AJ Green and Todd Gurley. One sold his Bowl Jersey that he was given and the other got paid to sign his name.

    What exactly does the NCAA do? What awesome service do they provide? Always wondered what would happen if a couple conferences said fuck off.
    Last edited by SCDAWG; 09-12-2019 at 03:41 PM.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Manning, SC
    Posts
    10,732

    Default

    I can actually feel the brain cells dying.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Parole
    Posts
    3,766

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Boone, NC
    Posts
    4,361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    Scholarships are a form of money. College is the pipeline for those wanting to go to the NFL, if they don't then they have a degree they didn't have to pay for, in addition to room and board for however many years, so they can go get a decent job. I don't see where they are being taken advantage of. Should we start paying high school athletes as well. The school makes money when they charge admission to games?
    Not all student athletes have full rides, even in football there are still a decent amount of walk ons.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Florence, SC
    Posts
    415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    So you're saying the athletes are slaves? Do you think anyone would play college football if there wasn't something in it for them. They CHOOSE to play and they know what they are getting out of it.
    They CHOOSE to play because there is no other option. Can't really say they choose when there is only 1 option. I don't think they are slaves, far from it. It's just that they are getting paid minimum wage when a free market would dictate they be paid a lot more than that. Some players would be worth $20 an hour, some $200 an hour.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •