Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: California, collegiate fair pay.....

I see both sides. I agree that paying players has the potential to really mess the college game up.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    So if you're paying them, do they even need to be enrolled in school?

My biggest fear is the change in fans. Pro football boasts some of the tackiest people of any group.
    You ever been to a UGA game?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Nothing good could come from paying college athletes except for the athletes themselves. If they want to get paid so bad don’t go play college sports. Go get a job. And as far as the university profiting off their “likeness”? Give me a break. Athletes, especially football players are pampered and babied like there’s no tomorrow. Most of them are are getting $100k education for free. Problem is they will still leave just as dumb as they got there.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    Nothing good could come from paying college athletes except for the athletes themselves. If they want to get paid so bad don’t go play college sports. Go get a job. And as far as the university profiting off their “likeness”? Give me a break. Athletes, especially football players are pampered and babied like there’s no tomorrow. Most of them are are getting $100k education for free. Problem is they will still leave just as dumb as they got there.
    1) That education ain't "free", bubba. It's a year-round job.

2) How much is the college making on ticket sales, jersey sales, alcohol sales, and the like off those athletes' backs? Would your guys work for "free" if you gave them three hots and a cot? Seriously doubt it.

The problem is they aren’t taking advantage of their FREE education and they ain’t working at it at all. Then when they don’t make it to the next level and they are left without a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of they start whining about it and playing the victim when all along they should have taken advantage and had a plan like the other students who are paying to be there
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    1) That education ain't "free", bubba. It's a year-round job.
    you obviously aint been a college athlete. the schoolwork can be kept to a bare minimum.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Piss on them. Quite a few can not put a complete sentence of together. Now they want pay on top pampering.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    you obviously aint been a college athlete. the schoolwork can be kept to a bare minimum.
    No kidding. Do you know how easy some of these degrees are? There's a reason so many of them are in sports marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    No kidding. Do you know how easy some of these degrees are? There's a reason so many of them are in sports marketing.
    Yeahhh, I was referring to weightlifting and conditioning, 7-on-7's, and all the other football stuff that's part of the deal. The actual schoolwork is in addition to the stuff I'm talking about. Football ain't just football season.

Well then, they can go to college on their own intellect..

Because it's not for everyone

Remember in the days of broadcasting a game, they would have their height, weight, and major?
    Not picking on Clemson (every school has it), but I had a buddy that was a G.A.. He said when you see some leaving early for the pros and you don't know why......the school had run out of bullshit classes.

I certainly think receiving the scholarship and perks are a form of getting paid. It is wrong to say they are not "paid." Is it a ton of work. Yes.
    I also like the baseball model. An athlete can go to the minors or pros right out of High School. Let those guys go and get paid. Let the ones that want to play at college in exchange for an education do so. That keeps it amateur.

Pay them whatever the tuition cost are and don’t give them scholarships. They must be enrolled to play. They can figure it out from there. Like I said earlier a vast majority of them will never go pro. They should be more worried about taking advantage of the education they are given, which is something a good number of them would not be able to obtain without being brought in to play a sport.
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

There is no way in hell Jameis Winston got in to Florida State by doing good in school.

I know there is booster money involved with players, but you don't hear much about the teachers that are paid off. Getting the guy on campus as opposed to JUCO, where you have to re-recruit him.

Star and even average football players receive a great amount of publicity that they would likely never see if not for the college stage. Who would even know who Tim Tebow was if not for being a college football player? If he had the chance to go straight to the NFL he would have failed and would be circumcising kids in a third world country by now (I say let them go straight to the NFL if they want and the chips fall where they lay though).

Now there should be some common sense by the NCAA but I am not betting on it. Maybe a swimmer on partial scholly should be able to hold a summer job teaching competitive swim classes to youth advertising the fact they are a college team's swimmer.

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    There is no way in hell Jameis Winston got in to Florida State by doing good in school.
    Truer words have never been spoken
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    Maybe he did well.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Yeahhh, I was referring to weightlifting and conditioning, 7-on-7's, and all the other football stuff that's part of the deal. The actual schoolwork is in addition to the stuff I'm talking about. Football ain't just football season.
    Crickets, eh?