Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 104

Thread: California, collegiate fair pay.....

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Hampton Co., SC
    Posts
    8,176

    Default California, collegiate fair pay.....

    Bwahhhhh!
    What a bunch of idiots!
    Kick em all of of the NCAA....

    https://www.apnews.com/82f3ae443485479b8011da02524adcff
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Manning, SC
    Posts
    10,732

    Default

    We are way past the lie that college athletes are just there for an education. The schools sell the replica jerseys for $150 with the kids name on it. The kids get nothing for using their name and likeness. What other industry does that happen in?

    Meanwhile let the kid sign and sell his personal gameday jersey to a collector for $100 and the NCAA will act like he is the biggest danger to the game and suspend him. This isn't about fairness. This is about losing money.

    I also found it interesting that tennis players can accept up to 10k in prize money.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Hampton Co., SC
    Posts
    8,176

    Default

    So, you're OK with schools buying athaletes?
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Boone, NC
    Posts
    4,359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    So, you're OK with schools buying athaletes?
    Do you honestly think that doesn't happen already?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Boone, NC
    Posts
    4,359

    Default

    I wouldn't bat an eye if the NCAA went defunct.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Hampton Co., SC
    Posts
    8,176

    Default

    I'm sure that it does but that doesn't make it right to Advocate it
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Manning, SC
    Posts
    10,732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    Do you honestly think that doesn't happen already?
    It's always funny to me when a fan of one school makes fun of another fun that get's caught paying athletes. Especially when their school is out recruiting that school.


    Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    I'm sure that it does but that doesn't make it right to Advocate it
    You're caught up in that California is the first and that they are trying to get an advantage over on someone. I doubt it gets signed. And even if it does it gives the NCAA until 2023 to figure out something. Personally I hope it does. Other states will follow suit and the NCAA will be forced to concede. Either way the NCAA is running out of moral high ground to stand on for how they are providing an education to these kids.

    The problem with paying players a stipend is that you have to pay all players across all sports. It will affect the less popular college athletic sports and small schools can't afford to compete. Why not let players sign endorsement deals and benefit from their success? Doesn't matter which school you go to. It's all about personal success. Sounds alot more like capitalism than everyone gets a trophy.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Hampton Co., SC
    Posts
    8,176

    Default

    I'm not caught up in anything!
    Just don't think paying kids to play sports is right.... Period!
    After they are done with their education, they can do whateverthefuk they want!
    And don't chime in about some athaletes and their education or lack thereof, I get all that....
    If you're gonna let colleges and universities buy their athaletes, why not high schools.... Where does it end?
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Manning, SC
    Posts
    10,732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    I'm not caught up in anything!
    Just don't think paying kids to play sports is right.... Period!
    After they are done with their education, they can do whateverthefuk they want!
    And don't chime in about some athaletes and their education or lack thereof, I get all that....
    If you're gonna let colleges and universities buy their athaletes, why not high schools.... Where does it end?
    So many exclamation points. Good to see you aren't caught up in anything.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    ******* County, NC.
    Posts
    2,580

    Default

    I donít think they should be paying the kids to play, but I do think anything sold with their likeness should pay royalties to them!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Hampton Co., SC
    Posts
    8,176

    Default

    Fuk California....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Boone, NC
    Posts
    4,359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woodiewacker82 View Post
    I don’t think they should be paying the kids to play, but I do think anything sold with their likeness should pay royalties to them!
    I can agree with this.

    Do I think the water polo team should be paid, or the third string kicker on a major D1 football team, they shouldn't. But I'm all for royalties being paid to kids that are having their likeness used for profit by the schools and the NCAA. Everything from football jerseys to video games to shoes. I wouldn't have a problem with the royalties being paid to them AFTER their eligibility is finished up as well. Connor Shaw and Taj Boyd come to mind. There were a ton of jerseys with their names/numbers sold on them while they played at USC and Clemson. I might be wrong because I don't keep up with it too much, but neither really succeeded in the NFL. They didn't get 'rich' after they left college, at least not due to football. What would be wrong with paying them a percentage of the profits they brought into the school/NCAA?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    ******* County, NC.
    Posts
    2,580

    Default


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Manning, SC
    Posts
    10,732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woodiewacker82 View Post
    I don’t think they should be paying the kids to play, but I do think anything sold with their likeness should pay royalties to them!
    From the article. That is exactly what the bill does.

    The bill would allow student-athletes to hire agents and be paid for the use of their names, images or likenesses. It would stop California universities and the NCAA from banning athletes that take the money. But it would forbid athletes from signing endorsement deals that conflict with their school’s existing contracts. If it becomes law, it would take effect Jan. 1, 2023.

    This is another fun one. NCAA has the right to kick the schools out, but how the hell is this the federal commerce clause?

    The NCAA believes the bill is unconstitutional because it violates the federal Commerce Clause , and would consider challenging the bill in court if it becomes law.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moncks Corner
    Posts
    12,155

    Default

    It's kind'a silly that a guy who is working, probably 40 hours per week and clinically exhausted because of that work for the rest of the week can't even buy his girlfriend a cheeseburger. They should, at least, pay them all minimum wage for practice and travel time.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9



    Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Columbia
    Posts
    6,935

    Default

    The current state of the NCAA is not sustainable. There is simply too much money being made. The NCAA is stubborn, and if they don't pull their heads out of the sand, it will be too late. Universities Athletic Dept building $100 mm buildings to attract prospective football players is just lunacy.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

    He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

    They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Florence, SC
    Posts
    401

    Default

    If you are a capitalist, you should always be in favor of someone being able to make money from their talents if there is a willing market to pay them.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Lowcountry, SC
    Posts
    8,643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    We are way past the lie that college athletes are just there for an education. The schools sell the replica jerseys for $150 with the kids name on it. The kids get nothing for using their name and likeness. What other industry does that happen in?

    Meanwhile let the kid sign and sell his personal gameday jersey to a collector for $100 and the NCAA will act like he is the biggest danger to the game and suspend him. This isn't about fairness. This is about losing money.

    I also found it interesting that tennis players can accept up to 10k in prize money.
    Clemson does not sell a jersey with a current athlete's name on it.
    2014 SCDucks College Football Pick 'em Champion


    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    And I will gloat because I am an SEC fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Beating Clemson is all that matters.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Lowcountry, SC
    Posts
    8,643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    The current state of the NCAA is not sustainable. There is simply too much money being made. The NCAA is stubborn, and if they don't pull their heads out of the sand, it will be too late. Universities Athletic Dept building $100 mm buildings to attract prospective football players is just lunacy.
    Lunacy is paying what we do to the university for them to build such facilities. And it isn't stopping.
    2014 SCDucks College Football Pick 'em Champion


    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    And I will gloat because I am an SEC fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Beating Clemson is all that matters.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Columbia
    Posts
    6,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LowcountryBuck View Post
    Lunacy is paying what we do to the university for them to build such facilities. And it isn't stopping.
    I don't give Clemson athletics a dime, and I haven't given them a dime in over 10 years. They made the rules to the game, and I play that game in a way that most benefits my family.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

    He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

    They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •