Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: electronic or filtered hearing protection

Default electronic or filtered hearing protection

I searched and saw a post a couple years ago so figured there had to be some newer options out there. Will mainly be used bird hunting so would like to be able to hear normal and obviously cancel/filter out gun shots. Amplification isn't something that's necessary. Anyone have anything in the $250 or less range? I see the decibullz ones have pretty good reviews but the ear canal piece isn't moldable and that's what causes the most discomfort, not so much the cup of your ear being molded to fit.

I use the Surefire plugs that are about $14. They are awesome, IMHO. I should use them more, but I don't find shotguns audibly intrusive.

I use traditional electronic muffs when shooting handgun and rifles.

The plugs are superior, IMHO, with a shotgun because they don't get in the way. Plug the little hole in the earplug on your dominant side, leave the other one open, and you should be golden.

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk

I've got a pair of these and they've actually taken being left in the back of the car even during the summer and still work when I need them - they are really easy on batteries too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I'm trying to keep what hearing I got left!

I've had a few over the years. Nothing ever really stuck as being a "great" option, just ok... Surefires, multiple Walkers Game Ear models, then back to standard foam ear plugs, which are better than nothing. The Surefires are fine, but I prefer the amplification of the electronic options. I picked up a pair of these at Cabelas (https://www.walkersgameear.com/silen...-the-ear-pair/), took em out the pack a couple hundred miles down the road when I go to my destination only to realize one was physically broken. Returned 'em and decided to go another route, so I just got a refund.

Problem I run into is I like to use a beanie cap when I'm duck hunting to keep my ears warm, so with any in-ear electronic plug that I might have, every time I move I hear that annoying rustling sound of that rubbing against the mic, since it's amplified. So I think the next options I'm gonna try is the Walkers Rope. It moves the mic a few inches down below my ear so they won't be in the way even with my beanie on. https://www.walkersgameear.com/rope-hearing-enhancer/

We shall see...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post

I've had a few over the years. Nothing ever really stuck as being a "great" option, just ok... Surefires, multiple Walkers Game Ear models, then back to standard foam ear plugs, which are better than nothing. The Surefires are fine, but I prefer the amplification of the electronic options. I picked up a pair of these at Cabelas (https://www.walkersgameear.com/silen...-the-ear-pair/), took em out the pack a couple hundred miles down the road when I go to my destination only to realize one was physically broken. Returned 'em and decided to go another route, so I just got a refund.

Problem I run into is I like to use a beanie cap when I'm duck hunting to keep my ears warm, so with any in-ear electronic plug that I might have, every time I move I hear that annoying rustling sound of that rubbing against the mic, since it's amplified. So I think the next options I'm gonna try is the Walkers Rope. It moves the mic a few inches down below my ear so they won't be in the way even with my beanie on. https://www.walkersgameear.com/rope-hearing-enhancer/

We shall see...
    Were you able to wear the walkers for say 4-5 hours at a time without much irritation? I wear the orange foam ear plugs at work and if I'm out on the floor for the majority of a day my ears are killing me by time to leave so I'm a little concerned about spending $250 for a set that's not able to be molded to my ear canal.

I'm no expert but I've got some vast ear plug experience. I'm a right handed shooter and have 50% hearing loss in my left ear because I was too cool for hearing protection until well into my 30's. I also have some weird auditory issues called hyperacusis and misophonia. So I have plugs with me at all times. I just got a pair of custom musician plugs for daily wear to help with the two auditory issues. For the hearing loss issue I just got a custom molded electronic plug to amplify sound in my left side. When hunting all sound was mono directional. I could hear turkeys gobble and deer walking but I couldn't tell you direction. This one cuts out above a certain decibel and has a volume/amplification control. I try to get it where the sound in my left side is the same as my right so it acts like a hearing aid.

I can't remember the brand. Got it through my audiologist. I know two things; insurance didn't pay for it and it was expensive. $500 for the single left side.

The daily wear plugs were $150 for the pair.

^^lots of big words above....^^
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I paid for 'em.

I'm gonna use 'em.

at.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'm no expert but I've got some vast ear plug experience. I'm a right handed shooter and have 50% hearing loss in my left ear because I was too cool for hearing protection until well into my 30's. I also have some weird auditory issues called hyperacusis and misophonia. So I have plugs with me at all times. I just got a pair of custom musician plugs for daily wear to help with the two auditory issues. For the hearing loss issue I just got a custom molded electronic plug to amplify sound in my left side. When hunting all sound was mono directional. I could hear turkeys gobble and deer walking but I couldn't tell you direction. This one cuts out above a certain decibel and has a volume/amplification control. I try to get it where the sound in my left side is the same as my right so it acts like a hearing aid.

I can't remember the brand. Got it through my audiologist. I know two things; insurance didn't pay for it and it was expensive. $500 for the single left side.

The daily wear plugs were $150 for the pair.
    Glenn I'm having the same issue with my left ear but not to that point....yet...which I why I would like to go ahead and get ahead of it and keep what hearing I have left in that ear. Work Dr classified it as mild hearing loss in my left hear and it is getting worse every year so I'm hoping to put a stop to that. Realistically use it heavily for one week in ND and a few dove shoots here a year so not wanting to spend 1000 dollars on a wildear. Just saw that the walkers non rechargeable ones for $111 on amazon so may just give those a try and worse case ill stick em in the safe when I get home and try a different brand next year.
    Last edited by stephensj9; 09-11-2019 at 02:57 PM.

Don't know SJ9, haven't ordered em yet. When I wear plain ole foamies, I can wear em for hours on end and they don't hurt. Guess I've gotten used to em. I have a pair of Bluetooth plugs I wear when I run or workout and they'll start to hurt after a few hours. I'll take a gamble that the silicone ear buds will not bother me that much. I guess it's worth the price to retain my hearing.

I really wanted the custom molded ones that original ear doctors sell. Until I can drop $1100 on em, I'm limited to the cheaper options.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I've got some very similar to these - https://www.earplugstore.com/jbmacunorepl.html. I've had them for 4-5 year now and are the only hearing protection that I forget I'm wearing. They are comfortable to wear, don't make you hotter in the dove field like the muffs and still allow you to hear pretty well. I'd buy them again.

Quote Originally Posted by stephensj9 View Post
    Glenn I'm having the same issue with my left ear but not to that point....yet...which I why I would like to go ahead and get ahead of it and keep what hearing I have left in that ear. Work Dr classified it as mild hearing loss in my left hear and it is getting worse every year so I'm hoping to put a stop to that. Realistically use it heavily for one week in ND and a few dove shoots here a year so not wanting to spend 1000 dollars on a wildear. Just saw that the walkers non rechargeable ones for $111 on amazon so may just give those a try and worse case ill stick em in the safe when I get home and try a different brand next year.
    I'd check with your audiologist. Get a hearing test and see what insurance will do towards a custom set. BCBS wouldn't cover mine but they also don't have a code for any of the issues I have.

Someone gave the the decibullz with the percussive shooting filters in them two years ago. They do a pretty good job with protecting my hearing, as well as not blocking out too much sound. I can have a pretty normal conversation wearing them. The thing that really threw me off was how I sounded to myself while blowing a duck call. By having your ears plugged, your normal calling will sound really, really weird.

But my calling sucks any way
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

I have some custom molded in ear monitors I use for playing and they are extremely comfortable. I couldn’t justify it for a few dove hunts though. The ole foam plugs work for me

I’ve used the walkers elite (hearing aid style) for maybe 2 years now. My only complaint is hunting from a boat blind on a windy day it picks up hull slap waves and I can’t hear anything over it.

@gonesouth yea I’m leaning toward the rechargeable ones. On amazon for 169 so it’s worth a shot. Says they are only good for about 4-5 hours per charge but also says the charging station has a battery and will charge them 4 times so that’s handy if it works. Do you have the rechargeable ones?

I wear custom Westone's about 6hrs a day. Expensive and go through batteries, but effective.

I have a hunting set as well. Digital Hunters.

I wear foam earplugs on long runs offshore. Everybody I know who is older and doesn't do this can't hear anything. I would like to try to protect what hearing I have left. I also was too cool for plugs until my twenties.

Yep, 28 here and I get weird looks when I pull them out my bag but i have noticeably less hearing in my left ear and tinnitus in both. On the tractor bushhogging for 1 hour is enough to cause hearing loss. Can’t stress it enough now

We shall see...
    willyworm, check closer on the mic location on these plugs. They look like they're located at the front end of the rectangular earpiece. The piece that hangs below the ear looks like the volume and on/off controls.

I've got a custom molded set that has auto-noise cut-out, but they're not comfortable for very long in the left ear for some reason, so I normally wear foam plugs.

I've used numerous varieties of foam and silicone plugs over the years, in both manufacturing plants and when shooting, and the current, most comfortable, and highest db reduction (32 vs 22-24, etc) are the Peltor foam plugs ...

I bought them in three pack somewhere, but here's an 80 pack at Home Depot just to show you what they are...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Pelto...0-6C/302591441

These appear to be the same thing if you want tattoos on your plugs...

https://www.earplugstore.com/penetafoean3.html
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 09-11-2019 at 06:48 PM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

against the mic, since it's amplified. So I think the next options I'm gonna try is the Walkers Rope. It moves the mic a few inches down below my ear so they won't be in the way even with my beanie on. https://www.walkersgameear.com/rope-hearing-enhancer/

We shall see...

They have those on camofire quite often. I'll have to get a set.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk