Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 18 years ago

We have made some absolutely disastrous policy decisions since then. Policy decisions that ultimately helped kill some of that same nationalism.

I too remember watching the sky that night without a single plane in the air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was in the basement of the Potter Section House in Anchorage, AK sleeping one off. My birthday is the 10th so the other rangers and I went to the Bush Company that night.

Tuesdays and Wednesdays were typically our days off since we worked the weekends. When I woke up and heard everyone in the office above I knew something was off.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

1st grade. Remember my father picking me up from school which was unusual, but the bank had closed. I remember him and my mother and all of our neighbors sitting in our front yard just talking that evening and reflecting on the days events.

My uncle is a commercial airline pilot for AA and flew into NYC that morning. I remember my mother was sick to her stomach as she could not get ahold of him.

I will never forget that day. I was in my barracks room at Camp Lejeune, NC and my CO and 1stSgt came busting in my door, I was one of the few barracks Marines that had cable and told me to run on the news. We sat there in disbelief. What was happening? After the second tower was hit I started packing my gear. My CO said "get ready" and a month later I was in Pakistan waiting for the orders to go into Afghanistan. I miss those days of camaraderie and esprit de corps.

I was a couple years out high school, had just started a new job and was in new hire training. Guy running the course said guess I can't concentrate. Just go home and we'll resume tomorrow...maybe.

Not long after I enlisted in the Air Force Reserve. And we're still fighting Al-Qaeda.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Had just went to sleep after a 12 hr night shift at the chemical plant. My Grandmother called and I could hear the terror in her voice as I listened to the answering machine down the hall. Didn't go back to sleep that day. Worked another 12 hr shift that night on pins and needles waiting on something else to happen.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

A lot of truth in this meme.

CE4D52BA-FDA5-4608-A127-83B5F0A0B7D0.jpg
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

Quote Originally Posted by G3JD, IV View Post
    I was in business law as well.
    Col. Craig
    who dis be?

I can remember watching my 7 month old son in his new activity saucer as the news was on that night wondering what the hell kind of a world we brought him into. I just put him on a plane to Costa Rica not knowing when I will see him again. Time flies.

Thanks FB!
    DILLIGAF

I was in Crystal City. We were glued to the TVs watching events unfold in NYC when someone yelled "look the Building (Pentagon) is on fire". Week later I was picking up gear in Bahrain and getting ready to move on to Pakistan to stage for Afghanistan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i miss the nationalism(?) that came shortly after that tragic day. It made me proud to be an American.

These days, not so much....
    I remember those 9/11 cookouts at BG. Always could feel it there.

I was spaying a cat when the first plane hit. Was home watching the news when the second hit and towers fell. I remember catching some grief because I didn't go out and paint everything I had red, white and blue. My response was, A) I showed my patriotism and gratitude for being an American when I joined up and served and B) you should be just a patriotic post 9/11/01 as you were on 9/10/01. Otherwise you're flag waving to be part of a crowd. It changed me. Pissed me off. I'm still pissed. But my patriotism and love of this country didn't change that day. But man everyone who ran out, bought flags and jumped on that emotional band wagon sure have sulked back into their lives of comfort and entitlement.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I remember those 9/11 cookouts at BG. Always could feel it there.

I was spaying a cat when the first plane hit. Was home watching the news when the second hit and towers fell. I remember catching some grief because I didn't go out and paint everything I had red, white and blue. My response was, A) I showed my patriotism and gratitude for being an American when I joined up and served and B) you should be just a patriotic post 9/11/01 as you were on 9/10/01. Otherwise you're flag waving to be part of a crowd. It changed me. Pissed me off. I'm still pissed. But my patriotism and love of this country didn't change that day. But man everyone who ran out, bought flags and jumped on that emotional band wagon sure have sulked back into their lives of comfort and entitlement.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

6th grade, Mrs. Prothro's class. We didn't have a TV in her classroom as it was across the street from the main campus. The office called the classroom by phone and notified the substitute, Mrs. Durham, what had happened.

I remember when I got home my dad telling me that myself and my friends could end up fighting in this war. Boy was I wrong thinking there was no way it would last 7 years.
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

so, you're saying I suck bc I stopped having that party?

Gotcha.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

and I kept help but giggle with all you folks being in grade school.

I was at work. We had a little tiny tv with a VHS slot for watching dental videos. We heard what had happened and turned on the only channel we could get and watched the second plane hit. It was certainly something I will never forget...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

so, you're saying I suck bc I stopped having that party?

Gotcha.
    That's not the only reason you suck.

But yeah. Throw me a party.

and I kept help but giggle with all you folks being in grade school.

I was at work. We had a little tiny tv with a VHS slot for watching dental videos. We heard what had happened and turned on the only channel we could get and watched the second plane hit. It was certainly something I will never forget...
    Same here, right down to the little TV with the vcr slot. We all thought it had been an accident until the second plane hit. I can still feel that sick feeling in my gut when the towers went down.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaya View Post
    I will never forget that day. And, like 2th, the response was awesome, but just 18 short years later, we're right back divided, it seems.
    Way sooner than that. Enough people voted to elect a USA hating muslim over 10 years ago.

I saw these in the paper and got Robert to bring me some that were larger, they're still up

20190911_155231.jpg

Namedropper
    DILLIGAF