Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 18 years ago

6th grade. I understood exactly what was happening. We had the school TV tuned to the news and we were watching the first tower. Most of the kids were joking around, behaving like normal kids that see this just as an opportunity to get out of school early. Then someone yelled "there's another plane!" Everyone went silent and we all watched the second plane slam into the tower on live television. No one said a word. Our teacher started crying, and walked out of the room.
    Psalm 23

Coach Wyatt's Econ class at Dorman High School, 9th grade.

It's crazy to think that some of the younger guys on this site likely don't even remember it. It doesn't seem like it was 18 years ago.

Bush’s face when he heard a 2nd plane had hit

B054EA79-1C2B-4563-852D-D9D3322F1C3A.jpeg
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Had just left one hospital and stopped at Hardee's to grab a biscuit when the first plane hit. I walked into a surgery center in Spartanburg in time to see the second plane hit the tower. Remember it like it was yesterday.

I was in business law as well.
    Col. Craig

I was in 9th grade English class. We had a half day of school that day. I remember the weather was as beautiful as can be that day.
    867-5309

I was a sophomore in HS in my English class. We watched the second plane hit and there was a girl in my class freaking out because her dad was suppost to be in a meeting in one of the towers. She couldnt get him on his cell phone because of the amount of cell traffic up there. She finially heard from him late that night that he had overslept and missed his meeting. He was getting out of a cab a 1/2 block away when the first plane hit.

i miss the nationalism(?) that came shortly after that tragic day. It made me proud to be an American.

These days, not so much....
    With you on this one. Just look at what has been elected to Congress.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

i miss the nationalism(?) that came shortly after that tragic day. It made me proud to be an American.

These days, not so much....
    Yeap

Our family is still heavily invested in the "war on Global Terror"

My nephew is about to deploy for the fourth time. He is a Frogman. Keep him in your prayers.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I remember walking into a customers office in Chas that morning.... I didn't listen to radio stations, normally always has CDs in the truck...I walked in and everybody was hovered around the secretary's desk...The look on their faces said everything you needed to know...
    Last edited by FishSticker; 09-11-2019 at 10:23 AM.

I was in midtown Manhattan working in the tallest building in Times Square. Crossed the street from the subway just in time to see the first plane come over the city. Got to 34th floor and stood in colleagues corner office looking at the burning tower with others as 2nd plane hit. Walked home. In hindsight we know what happened. At the time we had no clue what was going on. Walking thru Central Park heard rumors of pentagon, state dept and White House being destroyed. Heard rumor of a tower falling and did not believe it. Got to my upper east side apt just in time to watch 2nd tower come down

It was also my wife’s first day as a teacher at a school on the upper west side. I got a message to her that I was ok and went to get lunch. Bars were packed

Walked across Central Park to pick up my wife when school got out. They had put the school on information lock down and nobody knew much of wha,t had happened. Walked back home across Central Park and it was eerily quiet except the sound of F16s circling manhattan

Felt pretty trapped. I never like New York to begin with and on 9/11 and for a couple days after we were effectively held hostage on the island. Next day went to try to give blood and lines were wrapped around the block. And little did we know they did not need the blood

Next few days were trying. You’d walk around and try to be normal but I remember walking down the sidewalk and seeing a foreign dude jump out of a Ryder truck and jog away. Couldn’t get around the corner fast enough. Stuff like that

Anyway I could go on forever. Wish time didn’t soften things. America on 9/12 would be ashamed of what we are now

I was working at Datastream in Greenville. The internet ground to a halt. No pages would load. I rushed home to watch the news on TV.

11th grade auto shop. We were in the shop when the teachers came out and told us about the first plane. Walked in the classroom and watched the second. I recall thinking the first one was a freak accident. That thought disappeared fast.

I was working in DC at 17th and Penn (overlooking the White House) when I got a call from my grandmother (she never called me at work). Heard all the rumors starting from her (bombs on the Mall, Capital Bldg hit, White House was next, etc). Got in my car, in the garage below the building and took off. Quickest way home was thru Georgetown. As I was almost in Georgetown, with a view across the Potomac towards Virginia, I could see the mushroom looking cloud from the Pentagon. I will never forget.

My sister was waking from her drunken slumber in midtown Manhattan. Needless to say, our mom in Montana was freaking out about her kids. Cell and internet services were worthless due to the traffic.

My sister and new BIL were just getting off of some planes on their honeymoon in another country. It took them a bit to get back.

Working for Fruit of the Loom in Rabun Gap, Ga. Just wrapped up a meeting and my Admin told us a plane had just hit one of the towers. We were thinking it was a general aviation plane and were trying to get online to check it out but was having trouble due to the traffic. We finally got connected about the time the 2nd plane hit. I'll never forget that feeling.

I was in freshman keyboarding class. Nearly swallowed my Skoal
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

I have a cousin who was the only American not on Earth that day. He was stuck on the ISS wondering how the hell he was going to get home...

I was living just over an hour away from it. Know a lot of people who were involved with the the clean up/ recovery. To say it had a major effect on them would be an understatement. My wife was in college at the time just across the river in NJ and could clearly see the smoke from her apartment. Scary and uncertain times for sure. I know a retired NYPD officer who was on scene from the time of the first plane until they came down. His account of that day and what he and others involved went through is truly amazing. Never Forget!