Thread: Rattlesnake stew like catfish stew?

Default Rattlesnake stew like catfish stew?

I’ve been hunting and shooting prairie rattlers with .22 ratshot and skinning them for bow backings and other snakeskin worthy projects this summer. I decided to eat one and stuffed it with veggies, wrapped in bacon, and cooked in a cast iron Dutch Oven. The 3 tablespoons of meat we picked off it were delicious, but these little prairie rattlers aren’t worth the trouble cooking that way. I still have a few I’d like to stew...beautiful white meat not unlike a frog. I figure I can sub snake into a good catfish stew recipe and actually get all the meat out from betwixt all the ribs. So...anyone mind posting up favorite catfish stew recipes? Or...snake stew recipes ifin you eat snakes. Thanks.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

You can boil it to make the meat easier to pick from between the ribs, but no technique will allow the meat to completely fall off the bone. Some people recommend a crockpot, but those who have tried that technique say it smells god-awful. Some people wrap cleaned/cut sections in foil then flake the meat off with a fork.

I guess if you have to eat a rattlesnake, those are some options.

I bet a pressure cooker will make it fall off.

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk

pics?

Quote Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post
    I bet a pressure cooker will make it fall off.

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk
    Good answer...Ill give that a try.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

I fried one once. It was good. A month later when my mountain boys came down, they refused to even eat out of the pans, dishes, etc. They chunked them and went to town to buy all new shit.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I fried one once. It was good. A month later when my mountain boys came down, they refused to even eat out of the pans, dishes, etc. They chunked them and went to town to buy all new shit.
    I fried one. It was chewy chicken with a ton of bones. I'll eat another one after we run out of cows and deer.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Hunter View Post
    You can boil it to make the meat easier to pick from between the ribs, but no technique will allow the meat to completely fall off the bone. Some people recommend a crockpot, but those who have tried that technique say it smells god-awful. Some people wrap cleaned/cut sections in foil then flake the meat off with a fork.

I guess if you have to eat a rattlesnake, those are some options.
    Sounds like a perfect application for Sous Vide. https://bestreviews.com/best-sous-vide-machines

I have an Anova and love it. I have worked up a baby back rib recipe that I use it for that makes the best ribs I have ever tasted. I still smoke them but they are basically already cooked and fall off the bone tender when I put the rub on them. The fat has already turned to liquid and been poured off.

The fine control you get over temperature without any drying out or watering down is what makes these things so different than about any other cooking method.

sorcery

I've fried everyone I've killed, large rattlers though. Basically for the fun factor, and once for my kids to see. To me at least it was like dark meat chicken, and I like dark meat chicken.. if I have to say I like anything chicken, but it's not much meat.