Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trumpet Vine

Default Trumpet Vine

This overhang on the side of the house has been bothering me for a while.
    So I told my wife I would address it when it cools down a little.
    I’m going to tear down all the old wood and cut down whatever ridiculous vine is growing there now.

My vision is a vine that will creep up the lattice and over the top to shade the entire area. I want a thick wall, with a flowering hummingbird attractant. Trumpet creeper is just that, but I don’t know much about it other than it growing on roadside ditches.
    Has anyone ever planted and manicured it for a garden setting? If so, is it worth doing or an absolute nightmare that I should never mention again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Mandevilla may be easier to manage. Hummingbirds dig it. My in-laws had on a big trellis years ago.

I’m reading it’s a tropical and susceptible to frost kills.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Well. It lived in southern Greenville county and thrived for about 20 years that I know of on that trellis roof. It wasn’t really sheltered or anything. It was pretty low maintenance too. Just trained the new growth.

Try kudzu

Thanks Baggy, will definitely look into it.

Muscadine - then make your own wine.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

That Rexcraft Vine?

Mandavila is tropical....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

iT is. We have a Clematis on part of our lattice and has done well for the last 21 years
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Yeah, they owned a nursery in Greenville for years. They tried it figuring it would die or at the least not do well, but were pleasantly surprised.

I ain't ever had Mandavila that could make it through the winter without at least putting it in the basement in the winter.
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

They planted it in huge planters for that specific reason. For some reason the didn’t move it in the first winter and they lived. Never moved hem in afterwards.

Makes a little more sense but you get a HARD EXTENDED freeze it ain't gonna happen. I need to see said planter and the roots gotta be DEEP

Too bad cypress vine is such a mother fucker to control. Hummingbirds live it. Baby pine trees hate it.
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Yeah, I don’t mind a little trimming maintenance but I don’t want a monthly battle

Maybe a combo of trumpet creeper and coral honeysuckle would be a great combo...
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

I have been cultivating some coral honeysuckle so could get you some cuttings.... They pot and thrive very easily.

Thanks Cali. I’ll call you.