Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clear Cuts

Default Clear Cuts

We lease land from a timber company and just got word they would be doing a 110 acre clear cut starting this week. While that sucks I am trying to think of the positives that can come out of this. What are the rules on hand sewing wheat and dove hunting it now? I know the rules have recently changed if I remember correctly.
    "I swear if I found you in a marsh I don't know that I could keep myself from mud stomping you" -Griffin

You can't. I don't know dates right off, but I think you have to wait until october.
    Carolina Counsel

October 14 or 15 I think is considering the start of normal wheat planting season.
    Also throwing it out in a clear cut probably isn’t going to be considered a normal agricultural practice, has to be thrown out a prepared seed bed, iirc.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

October 1-November 1 you can sow oats/wheat/rye something that would be a normal cover crop
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    You can't. I don't know dates right off, but I think you have to wait until october.
    Yeah I thought it was October too.
    "I swear if I found you in a marsh I don't know that I could keep myself from mud stomping you" -Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    October 1-November 1 you can sow oats/wheat/rye something that would be a normal cover crop
    This

Throw Browntop to control soil erosion. Isn't that a standard operating procedure for road edges, hard decks to control soil erosion?
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

oct 1 and it has to be on clean dirt

there's not a great, legal way to turn a clearcut into a place to shoot doves. My glorious opinion is to let mother nature handle it and see if it holds doves.

I wouldnt hold my breath.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Throw Browntop to control soil erosion. Isn't that a standard operating procedure for road edges, hard decks to control soil erosion?
    Standard procedure or not. If you throw it out in a clear cut, road edge, hard deck, etc, and plan to hunt over it I would think that would fall right under baiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

As for the deer hunting, I wouldn't hesitate to be in the tree as soon as they shut the equipment off.

I can assure it does for turkeys!

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    As for the deer hunting, I wouldn't hesitate to be in the tree as soon as they shut the equipment off.
    Yep.

Look for the pokeberries.

This year will be good as far as the deers go , but years 2-3 after the cut is prime.

I used to really love hunting cutovers covered in wheat.. searching for an occasional bird in a pile and guaranteed poke berry stain, of course behind shooting over baited cotton fields.

More birds will be in a fresh clear cut than you think. Spread you some corn for the deer and posted it with No Doves Allowed.

Spread wheat in a clear-cut legally....that's f'in funny!
    Last edited by Calibogue; 09-10-2019 at 10:00 AM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I used to really love hunting cutovers covered in wheat.. searching for an occasional bird in a pile and guaranteed poke berry stain, of course behind shooting over baited cotton fields.
    Dayum they love some poke and TX panicum in a clear-cut down here!
    THICK...
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    Standard procedure or not. If you throw it out in a clear cut, road edge, hard deck, etc, and plan to hunt over it I would think that would fall right under baiting.
    Yes it would. You can ONLY SEW wheat on a properly prepared seed bed.